RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Broke out my Flinter for the first time this season

Broke out my Flinter for the first time this season

This was the first year in probably 10 or so that I hunted deer in MO with modern firearms, but I did. So in preparation of the December 17 start of the Muzzleloading season I went shooting on Saturday. I shot at both 50 and 100 yards. Here's my 100 yd target.

I have one concern. The first shot is ALWAYS several inches low: like 5" low from a clean, dry barrel. Subsequent shots all group together. I can think of only two things that would do this: cold vs warm barrel, or the amount of lube in the barrel with follow up shots. My next time out I'm going to load the rifle, then run a lubed only patch down the barrel so that the barrel will be in the "general" condition of a barrel that had been shot (without the grime). Wait 30 minutes and shoot again. I can't believe the grime would actually improve things so I don't think that's it. And some of the shots occurred in-between target checks and loadings so I'm not convinced it's the "warm barrel", but won't discount that possibility either. I hope its the extra lube and not the heat. This is not a "one time" occurrence but is a trend. With a 43.25" barrel I suppose the extra "drag" of the barrel could slow things down without sufficient lube present. The single .22cal hole was after an adjustment to the Mini and wanted to shoot at a target that didn't have any .22cal holes in it……..

My point of aim was "pumpkin on the post", which means I'm shooting a bit high at 100. Based on my chronographed MV of 1760FPS, it looks like I'm sighted in for 130 yards. I'd like to drop that a bit as it means that the peak of trajectory is +4.8" above the line of sight at 50 yards and that's higher then I want. My shots at 50 confirmed that ballistic data.

Any thoughts? Warm vs cold, lube?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100yd, 54cal.jpg  
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

Boolit Buddy
    I think you should try the lube patch before your first shot. But if it doesn't change anything, and the lines on the target are one inch, it seems to me that all your shots were in four inches. I think you are ready to go hunting. Take Care.
    What this Country needs is more unemployed politicians

Boolit Grand Master

Could be but it is common in a ML that after your first fouling shot, your point of impact changes some. 5" is quite abit though.
    Aim small, miss small!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Pretty unusual for a shot to go that far outside of group. I would suggest working up loads with the Dutch Shultsz method, then you will know where your first shot is going to go. You don't need to worry about your lube either if you follow his instructions.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by kmag View Post
    I think you should try the lube patch before your first shot. But if it doesn't change anything, and the lines on the target are one inch, it seems to me that all your shots were in four inches. I think you are ready to go hunting. Take Care.

The shot that is high was not the first shot, it was just one of the follow up shots for group. The first shot was off the 8X11 piece of paper (but I cover the whole backstop with white paper for that very reason). The accuracy is plenty satisfactory for me, just need to be able to count on that first shot hitting where I expect it to be!

I'll have to search out the "dutch Shultzen method". I'm guessing if I search for it I'll find it here.........

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II

Boolit Master

Piwo,

Here is a link to Dutch's website. read the tips and Q&A sections. Then for the small amount he charges, his info is worth a read.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Piwo,

Here is a link to Dutch's website. read the tips and Q&A sections. Then for the small amount he charges, his info is worth a read.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Geez, I live about 25 minutes from his listed address. He even also looks familiar. Maybe BP gun show or something.........

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II

Boolit Master

I think you need to get with Dutch. I bet he would be interesting to have a cup o coffee with. Maybe even a beer!

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    It has been my experience that many BP guns are very consistent in first shot placement. If that is the case, use it. No big deal.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

the first shot is coming out faster due to a clean barrel. the second shot is higher because the fouling makes for a slower exit so the barrel has raised more. its just like a light bullet will hit lower than a heavy one with the same powder charge

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    the first shot is coming out faster due to a clean barrel. the second shot is higher because the fouling makes for a slower exit so the barrel has raised more. its just like a light bullet will hit lower than a heavy one with the same powder charge
    The next time out my shots will go through the chrony, but I'm going to run a lubed patch down the bore first to see if the "1st shot" stays with the 2nd and 3rd. I'll pick another time to shoot without doing that to check the velocities of un-fouled vs fouled. Just another mystery crying out to be solved!

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I sent off for his information and will study it intently. The whole patch thickness thing has me a little puzzled though. I've always struggled with it because the first two inches is DEFINATELY tighter than the rest of the barrel. You gotta apply a lot of force the first 2 inches, then things pretty much go down easy (unless the bore is fouled and you didn't wipe good between shots).

Cant see any other way then to size patch to the smallest diameter, unless this is covered in the material that is..........

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II

Boolit Master

piwo,

patch selection is discussed in Dutch's info. It was an interesting read for me, and I am not a muzzleloader yet.