Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Is this normal for a #11 cap

Boolit Bub

Is this normal for a #11 cap

I have not shot black powder for twenty years now. Recently got the urge when I ran across a nice Thompson Center Hawkin 45 with the 1-48" twist. Had some issues with the bore being rough but since has polished up real nice. I built a bore light to look at it and it's beautiful now.
    My question now is I'm using CCI #11 mag caps and they are fragmenting upon firing. Sometimes just split, other times almost gone completely. Seems to be a bad thing so close to my face. Is this normal?
    Gorex fff, 50gr, pillow ticking patch with a cast round ball.
    I appreciate any information,
    David

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Try a NEW nipple and see if the problem goes away. The flash channel in the current nipple may be erroded from lots of shooting.

its normal, the fragments shouldn't be a bother since the hammer cup should direct them down and away. You are wearing safety glasses aren't you?
    I would stay away from "mag" caps especially if you are paying more than regular.Any decent cap should set off the charge if the flash channel is clean. everything is being cheapened up now days, perhaps the cap metal is a bit thinner than it used to be. My favorite caps are Remingtons.If the nipple is sharp or battered over you need a new one.
    "there is a limit to everything"
    Sigillum Militum Xpisti

Boolit Buddy
    I have to agree with Thunderthud in his post above but if you are still worried about cap fragments there is a device called a flash cup available from a number of sources ( Track, Dixie ect. ) The flash cup is held in place by the nipple and can be rotated under the nipple to help to protect your rifles wood finish or your face. The biggest problem with these is it will cost you more for shipping than the cost of the flash cup so you may have to think up some more have to get items for your shooting bag before ordering.

Pete

Moderator Emeritus

I get that with MAG Caps too.
    not so much with standard Caps.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

As mentioned before a new good quality nipple is always a good idea. You don't need magnum caps since you are using real black powder.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    They are SUPPOSED to fragment. Check the front of your hammer. There should be a V cut in it to the level of the anvil, to direct the fragments away from you.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

mag caps came about with the harder to ignite non real black powder powder. I have used mag caps for a long time yes they fragment and I have never had a piece hit me yet.
    If you are using traditional black powder either cap will or should work. The mag cap just gives more fire if you will to ignite the powder charge.
    I even use 3f in all my muzzle loaders just adjust the load to the caliber usually for me it is 10-15% less than 2f. But what do I know I have been shooting black for almost 50 years now so I must be stupid as who would ever want to use something as old as a muzzle loader. They have no concept of what is fun and what is just boring.
    time for my milk and cookies
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    All caps will split open and often break apart upon firing. That's been my experience for years using three different percussion guns-- rifle and pistol, and three or four different brands of nipples, with CCI, CCI Magnum and Remington caps in #10 and #11.

The cap walls are very thin, presumeably so they can stretch a little and grip the cones. Makes sense to me anyway.

Percussion revolvers are often rated in product reviews on, among other things, how well the actions handle cap fragments. It's all part of the muzzle loading experience, my friend.

I expect a firelock (flintlock) will sometimes throw off chips of flint too, and for sure you get a flash in the face from the priming charge. And don't stand too close off the lock side of the firearm or you may have a bad experience.

Boolit Bub
    What a great place! This is what I was looking for, seems my problem is normal. Now that is unusual.
    I thank all the members for the help.
    David