Graf & SonsRotoMetals2ADvertise hereInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: BP making components from the BP making thread

  1. #1
    Boolit Master bearcove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rio Rancho NM or Bearcove AK
    Posts
    2,430

    BP making components from the BP making thread

    BP ingredients source list. these were taken from the thread in bites some or all is out of context but I tried to leave enough text to explain. Also included are links to other info for making BP. Please give more sources or comments on these. Don't drift so we can have a easy place to find this info.

    Posters name is followed by clip from them.

    Atom73

    EBay, scienceforyou.net is where I got mine.

    Fatboy

    I have found an easy source for salt peter(KNO3) at lowes. it is the spectricide stump remover, MSDS Sheet, and Spectricide web site list it as 100% KNO3 about 7.00 a pound. Thanks Again
    Chip

    Boz330

    if you search around on that earlier link to saltpeter you will find a kid that posted a video on refining KNO3. He mentions the stump remover and says that the Green Life and Spectracide are the 2 purist brands for it. Figures a 12 year old kid would know the best place to find this stuff.

    Skipper

    Or, you could get 5 lbs of it for 7.50 here:
    http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/...Category_Code=

    Wills

    http://www.skylighter.com/mall/chemicals.asp?Sort=P
    Potassium Nitrate, and other chemicals.

    Perotter

    FWIW. If ordering for Seattle Pottery Supply, one may want to also buy some potassium carbonate. Then making yellow priming powder for a flintlock can be done. Yellow priming powder is what guys were switching to when percussion cap came out.

    Fly

    OK guy's here is my buddy's form.I would say he has done more testing than
    anyone over the last ten years.Check his test data & also he has a sec on
    the different ways of making it ect.
    http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fire...oal_tests.html

    1874Sharps

    I found Herr Ulrich Bretscher's website to be of profound help and a source of great technical information (http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html). His information is firsthand and well-researched. I made a batch of BP using his procedures and it went quite well.

    Boz330

    I found Herr Ulrich Bretscher's website to be of profound help and a source of great technical information (http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html). His information is firsthand and well-researched. I made a batch of BP using his procedures and it went quite well.

    JoptionPane

    BP INFO
    http://www.pyroguide.com/index.php?t...er_Manufacture

    Don't over cook your charcoal!
    http://www.pyroguide.com/index.php?title=Charcoal

    Red Gum granulating
    http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/...m-BP-short.asp

    And if you get serious about things
    http://www.brianredmond.net/dwilliam.../bptester.html

    Fly

    Skylighter is a rip off. Try these guys instead!http://pastimepyrochemicals.com/

    Thanks, Rod

  2. #2
    Boolit Master
    buyobuyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Socorro, NM
    Posts
    473
    Thanks for compiling the info. However, the links that are truncated with the ... in the middle of them need fixing.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master Maven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,302

    Thumbs up

    This should be added to the BP Making thread and made into a sticky!

  4. #4
    Boolit Master bearcove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rio Rancho NM or Bearcove AK
    Posts
    2,430
    Quote Originally Posted by buyobuyo View Post
    Thanks for compiling the info. However, the links that are truncated with the ... in the middle of them need fixing.
    Great idea! Have at it.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    On the Colorado River in Arizona
    Posts
    1,436
    Just my opine, but think can rest assured, the ATF and other government agencies take a very active interest when formulas and discussions for the making of explosives are posted.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master bearcove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rio Rancho NM or Bearcove AK
    Posts
    2,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Just my opine, but think can rest assured, the ATF and other government agencies take a very active interest when formulas and discussions for the making of explosives are posted.
    This is for use in my muzzle loaders. I don't Know what you are implying but as far as I can tell this is legal to do.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    On the Colorado River in Arizona
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    This is for use in my muzzle loaders. I don't Know what you are implying but as far as I can tell this is legal to do.
    Legal yes, but does not detract from purpose of my post. To each their own, but I know of some muzzleloading forums that do not allow any discussion of it.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Just my opine, but think can rest assured, the ATF and other government agencies take a very active interest when formulas and discussions for the making of explosives are posted.
    Bud in most states it is LEGAL.It is not legal to sell.Check your facts before
    you post something,please.
    Fly

  9. #9
    Boolit Master nanuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    3,058
    it is illegal to make BP in Canada, our Criminal Code bans it without permit

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    it is illegal to make BP in Canada, our Criminal Code bans it without permit
    Well it is not in the USA.It is a state by state thing.Please check your state
    before making any.Making BP is fun & safe if done right.I plan on a new thread
    on how I make mind with pic,c soon.

    Fly

  11. #11
    Longwood
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Well it is not in the USA.It is a state by state thing.Please check your state
    before making any.Making BP is fun & safe if done right.I plan on a new thread
    on how I make mind with pic,c soon.

    Fly
    Looking forward to that, Fly.
    I finished a batch last night and am going to play with it today and tomorrow.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Longview, Washington
    Posts
    365
    Here is another source for components , and they have volume discounts where price is cheapest I have found



    http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/ind...x&cPath=72_119

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,880
    Some great news for the folks buying black willow charcoal from me.I have a new charcoal grinder
    that grinds it to about like corn starch powder.I can put it in one bag instead of two.Saves on shipping
    from USPS.It also mill,s much faster.

    Fly

  14. #14
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,274
    OK, I have my spectracide, time to find Sulphur. I can (and probably will) get just less than a quarter pound of lab grade sulphur from a local supply.

    For a couple bucks extra I can get 6 lb from home depot:

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Espoma-6-...8616/203192757

    but 10% clay. The fireworks makers say just use 11 parts rather than 10 to make up for the clay content. Sound good to the fine folks here? Anyone use this stuff for black powder shooting in particular?

    well, looks like I'm gonna try it. enough evidence to suggest it's a-ok.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 04-08-2014 at 04:50 PM.

  15. #15
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7
    The product you linked to is a high acid formulation.

    There are too many sources for the proper BP components to justify trying to find a substitute that may or may not be suitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    OK, I have my spectracide, time to find Sulphur. I can (and probably will) get just less than a quarter pound of lab grade sulphur from a local supply.

    For a couple bucks extra I can get 6 lb from home depot:

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Espoma-6-...8616/203192757

    but 10% clay. The fireworks makers say just use 11 parts rather than 10 to make up for the clay content. Sound good to the fine folks here? Anyone use this stuff for black powder shooting in particular?

    well, looks like I'm gonna try it. enough evidence to suggest it's a-ok.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,274
    can you cite a source for that? What does a "high acid" formulation even mean?

    Meanwhile, I CAN find sources that say "do not use flowers of sulphur" which is a real bummer, as it turns out my local chemistry supply store only has flowers.

  17. #17
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7
    The first post in this thread as well as post # 12 give sources for high quality pyrotechnic chemicals. I personally favor the supplier linked to in post 12 because he is known as an honest man with a strong moral character.

    High acid sulfur used in gardening is to be avoided when making BP due to stability and reactivity issues. You don't see garden sulfur sold in metal containers because it will eventually eat the metal. I have to believe it's not too good for gun barrels either.

    What you want to look for is Rubbermaker's Sulfur. It's low-acid (neutral PH) and purity is typically +99%. If you're going to go to the trouble of making your own BP, it doesn't make sense to cut corners and wind up with inferior and inconsistent product.

  18. #18
    Boolit Master Nobade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
    The first post in this thread as well as post # 12 give sources for high quality pyrotechnic chemicals. I personally favor the supplier linked to in post 12 because he is known as an honest man with a strong moral character.

    High acid sulfur used in gardening is to be avoided when making BP due to stability and reactivity issues. You don't see garden sulfur sold in metal containers because it will eventually eat the metal. I have to believe it's not too good for gun barrels either.

    What you want to look for is Rubbermaker's Sulfur. It's low-acid (neutral PH) and purity is typically +99%. If you're going to go to the trouble of making your own BP, it doesn't make sense to cut corners and wind up with inferior and inconsistent product.
    Haha...
    Yes Phil, I agree. That is why I buy my sulfur and other chemicals from you! Good to see you posting here, we could use a lot more of your knowledge.

    -Nobade

  19. #19
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Longview, Washington
    Posts
    365
    I have to agree with the above post , it is where I bought some of mine and where I will buy any more of the chemicals I need , As for knowledge , I believe he knows of what he speaks .

    Also I would like to note that if you scroll down his page for sulfur or other chemicals , prices go down as you purchase more . And who buys just one pound anyway? his products are worth checking out .
    Last edited by FLINTNFIRE; 04-10-2014 at 10:53 AM.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,274
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
    The first post in this thread as well as post # 12 give sources for high quality pyrotechnic chemicals. I personally favor the supplier linked to in post 12 because he is known as an honest man with a strong moral character.

    High acid sulfur used in gardening is to be avoided when making BP due to stability and reactivity issues. You don't see garden sulfur sold in metal containers because it will eventually eat the metal. I have to believe it's not too good for gun barrels either.

    What you want to look for is Rubbermaker's Sulfur. It's low-acid (neutral PH) and purity is typically +99%. If you're going to go to the trouble of making your own BP, it doesn't make sense to cut corners and wind up with inferior and inconsistent product.
    Alright, fine Mr. strong moral character! You have me convinced. I still need charcoal anyways. Got a PM out to Fly, but if you have a fancy website and a shopping cart all set up anyways.....

    edit: done. first order of business today at home, get the sulfur out of the ball mill and clean it to prep for grinding the KNO3. Any tips for getting caked up powder off the mill balls?

    One question. the MSDS for sulfur says not soluble in water. How do I measure the acidity of the sulfur? mill to airfloat then make a slurry in water?
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 04-10-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check