WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: savage 340?

Boolit Master

savage 340?

I have another question to the individualls thet have a Savage mod 340
    I purchased a scope mount that I will picture below on GB. Is there another peace that goes below what I purchased that attatchas to the gun?
    Attachment 37022
    Last edited by kbstenberg; 03-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, you must have the base.

You are 1/2 of the way there. You'll need Weaver Side Mount Scope Base #1 Gloss * for the Savage 340 & Others

The Sav. 340's that I've seen were D & T'd at the factory for this specific base.

Here it is, if you want to see what the base looks like :

http://media.photobucket.com/image/S...Rusties028.jpg

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Side-...-/220848852662
    Last edited by Ben; 10-29-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ben,

You are right, the base is needed. However, there were at least some 340's that got out of the factory without being drilled and tapped.

kb, IIRC the receiver should be drilled for four 10-32 mounting screws, If they are there, you cannot miss them. I know I have one laying around here somewhere, but I haven't seen it in years.

Robert

Banned

When I scoped mine a few months ago, I got a machined aluminum mount from a guy selling them on Ebay that allows a lot more fore and aft adjustment of the scope than those and looks better. It is basically a one piece mount that has a rail on top you use ordinary Weaver type rings with. So far very happy with it. I'm out of town away from the rifle for a while, otherwise I'd get the name of the seller for you. Try looking on Ebay.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the inf. Today I will search out Ebay.
    Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    Kevin:

Is your rifle factory D and T'd ?

Banned

This the one I bought, I'm very happy with it so far. Mine was a little less, but it didn't come with rings which wasn't a problem since I had old Weaver rings lying around. This will give you a lot more room to adjust a scope back and forth than the traditional side mounts would.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-340-S...item336d811640

Boolit Master
    kb- I have one of those bases, new in box. Contact me if you want it. All you need to do is cover the postage.

Boolit Master

Wweaver #1 Mount

Here is the mount on my Savage 340B (22 Hornet). I just changed out the older 3/4 inch tube and replaced it with a 1 inch tube scope. Still haven't made it to the range yet.
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 07-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

the Weaver web site lists and sells the correct side mounts for the 340, assuming your rifle is drilled and tapped.
    You have the upper half but still need the lower half. The lower half attaches to the rifle itself and the upper half then attaches to that.
    the picture that Uncle Grinch is showing is correct...note that the 4 small screws are what attaches the lower half to the rifle. The two large screws then attach the upper half the the lower.

Boolit Master
    Well, the OP hasn't contacted me for my offer of a free Weaver side mount base. If any of you other guys need it, PM me. It's just gathering dust and I'll never use it.

Boolit Master
    gnoahhh I just saw your offer.You becha I would like it. A PM already sent. Kevin

Boolit Master
    I have seen some that weren't D&T myself too.

Boolit Master
    Today I received the mounting base from gnoahhh. Within minutes of opening the package I had the tools out an going to start mounting the base.
    Now I have another problem. The holes (2) are drilled in the receiver are spaced differently and in the wrong location.
    If you referee to UncleGrinches picture a couple of posts prior. The 2 tapped screws I have are the 2 that you can see to the rear of the mounting base.
    So now I suppose I am asking if I have to bring the gun to a smith to have 4 holes drilled an taped for the base to mount to.
    This is perty normal for the luck I have been having lately

Boolit Master
    Looks like a trip to the smith is in your future. Those two holes you point to are for a receiver sight. Evidently yours is one of those that wasn't d/t'ed for a scope base at the factory. What year is your gun? (The only way to tell, since they weren't serial numbered, is by the date code. All Savages made after 1948 will have a small stamping in the shape of an oval about 1/4" or so long. Inside that oval will be a number and a letter, ie: 3G, 12F, 8B, etc. The number = the inspector, the letter = the year. Starting in 1948, A= 1948, B=1949, C=1950, etc. They skipped O and Q for obvious reasons. Those stamps are sometimes faintly struck, and it seems no rhyme or reason as to where it will appear, but you can bet it's there someplace. The only location on any Savage that is consistent is on the 99's, where it always appears on the forward surface of the lever boss, behind the serial number.) We suspect that only the first couple of years production of 340's were not d/t'ed for scopes, but with Savage, never say never.

Boolit Master
    My neighbor said he could drill an tap my receiver. he said that the location was critical to be in alignment with the bore.
    Could someone please take the measurements of off their receiver so that we can locate the holes on my receiver.

Boolit Master
    Don't sweat the hole locations too much. As long as the center line of the scope is in line with the bore, or really darn close, you're good to go. Clamp the receiver level in a vice and move the scope/rings/base (while all clamped tightly together) around until the center of the scope is centered over the bore. One trick is to bore sight it on a vertical line on the wall and then match the vertical cross hair onto the same line, with the scope's windage adjustments zero'ed out in the middle of its range. That'll make it close enough. Mark the hole locations, and you're off to the fair.

I think it's more critical that the screw holes be perfectly in line with each other, and not march up hill or down hill along the side of the receiver. Looking at the pic above will show you how to locate it fore-and-aft.