Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Remington 700 Walker Trigger ISSUE

Remington 700 Walker Trigger ISSUE

I have just found out about this issue. I was warned not to use my 700 by a gentleman at a local firearms venue.

I watched the videos of the Remington 700 being fired by "police" on the range by just touching the bolt. This is scary stuff. Luckily I have never chambered or fired mine yet. I took it in trade for a safe a couple of years ago.

Does anyone know of a way to get the trigger issue addressed by a competent shop without having to send this to Remington? I read that at one point they were doing an upgrade for $20 bucks but that was along time ago I think. They never did do a recall and over 24 people have been injured and some killed by this situation.

CNBC is doing an investigation this month into the situation as it has evolved and has released some videos already. Mine is chambered for the .300 Magnum.

I understand the new model 700's have an X-Mark Pro trigger now which takes care of the problem. But the old style 700's abound in retailers to this day.

NEVER MIND... I FOUND THE ORIGINAL THREAD ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

Concerned ......
    Last edited by Wrbjr; 10-29-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: redundant

Boolit Master
    has the trigger been monkeyed with?..If not..probably nothing wrong with the trigger.

It's been a known issue for probably 20 years..and CNBC is just trying to dig a knife in a gunmakers back.

The trigger issue involves neglect(has the rifle gotten wet..and rusted underneath the wood?)....messing around with the trigger trying to adjust it..and getting it to the point it's not safe(the cops in the propaganda videos)...

The first I heard of the 'Model 700 trigger issue' was an artical years and years back..some lady rifled off her teenage son while unloading her M700..shot him while he was standing on the opposite side of a camper trailer!...This rifle was supposidly rusted underneath the stock..lady flipped the safety off pointed at the camper and it went off...there is a problem here with human gun-safety..as well as a poorly maintained rifle.

Next real incident I heard concerning this..some guy acidently shot his wife/girlfriend with a 700!...The rifle was slipping from his shoulder and falling backwards..he grasped at the gun..and it went off. By his own admission..he 'may' have accidently pulled the trigger..and really wasn't sure if the rifle was no safe..he sued Remington anyhow!

CNBC is just persuing an anti-gun agenda..and an issue that is ages old is all the ammo they got against Remington..Thousands upon thousands of older Remington 700 rifles continue in daily use. proper firearms handling procedures greatly minimize or nullify any potential safety issue.

Remington changed the safety mechanism sometime before 2000 so the safety doesn't lock the bolt..and you can unload newer M700 rifles without having to flick it off safe...earlier safetys locked the bolt..requiring the loaded rifle to be put in the fire position to unload...this being dangerous if you have a bubba-tweeked..rusty trigger..and don't practice normal safe firearms handling.

I would take the rifle to a good gunsmith for a cchecking over if it really scares you. Odds are it's just fine.

Banned

Ive used many differnt 700s for over 40 years and have never had one go off when it wasnt suppose to.

Boolit Master
    there is nothing wrong with a 700 trigger unless somebody caused the problem. cock the rifle and pull the trigger with the safety on, then release the trigger and take the gun off safe. pull the trigger again and note if there seems to be any difference between the pull and the normal pull. cock it, put it on safe, pull the trigger, take it off safe, and work the bolt hard a few times. see if it goes off when you lift the bolt, or when you slam it closed. if it goes off doing any of these things, it needs to be readjusted and the adjustment screws glued in place. if you are satisfied with your trigger it isn't a bad idea to glue the adjustment screws. most rifles have lawyer triggers you can hang the rifle on when they come from the factory. the trouble comes when someone decides to improve the adjustments and doesn't know what they are doing. it is not a bad idea to cycle the bolt hard and pull the trigger with the safety on when you haven't used a rifle for a while, before you load it. had a friend have a slam fire when he loaded a rem 740. either he had clothing in the trigger or the fireing pin was stuck in the bolt from setting a year. should keep it pointed at something cheap, loaded or not.

In Remembrance

The problem is usually traced back to common neglect to keeping the action underside clean and free from dirt and debris. There can become a rust problem if the rifle got soaked and then not taken down to dry and relube areas the required it. Best bet is take the rifle to a gunsmith and have them check it over then clean and lube key areas.Robert

Boolit Master

I have 3 Remington 700 based target rifles, 2 of them still have the original triggers. Not only are they safe they are really good triggers, thats why they have not been replaced with aftermarket units. The 3rd is a 300m free rifle and I prefer a 2 stage for position shooting so I got a Davies for that one.

Echo the anti gun agenda, this story crops up every few years.

Yes I followed the original thread and watched all of the videos including the rebuttal from Remington. I feel completely safe. No questions at all pertaining to the safety of my 700. What a sham. I can't wait to find the guy that lit me up with all this ****. Gonna set him straight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrbjr View Post
    Yes I followed the original thread and watched all of the videos including the rebuttal from Remington. I feel completely safe. No questions at all pertaining to the safety of my 700. What a sham. I can't wait to find the guy that lit me up with all this ****. Gonna set him straight.
    I would check it out just for safetys sake.

I bought a well used S&W 1500 .308 rifle a year or so back...the trigger didn't feel right...pulled the action from the stock and looked it over.

The trigger on these is just held on with a screw and a 'star' locking washer(not very impressive at all). Anyhow..the screw was really loose..and the trigger mechanism(similiar to the infamous Remington set-up) was about to fall off!!

I could see where it could easily have caused the gun to fire unintentionaly!

Most of my 'new' firearms are used..some really old and used..I always check them out really carefully. Even the new guns get checked out.

The trigger on a S&W 1500 (Howa) is nothing at all like a Remington trigger. No where near as well designed. But it does need to be kept tight as you have discovered.

As the other posters have described, keep your Rem trigger clean and adjusted properly and don't ever attack it with a buffer and you'll be fine. That article was a hit piece and a good example of very shoddy journalism, much like the deal with exploding Chevy fuel tanks that had to have explosives placed in them to get them to explode on TV.

Boolit Master
    Probably not similiar...the S&W/Howa trigger sucked...I had to adjust it...

Boolit Grand Master

Remington was doing a recall on some of the 700s safeties, just a certain serial number range. I watched the CBNN program and also came to the conclusion that basis gun safety rules were violated.
    The lady had her gun pointed at the side of a horse trailer, when she had and open field in front of her.
    If you are concerned take it to a good gunsmith and have him check it out. Or you could put a Timney on it.

The Remington 700 trigger issues has been around for many decades and Remington has paid out milliions in damages for injuries resulting from a design defect, which is real and not the product of TV hype.

I have been at ranges when there have been ADs due to the bad trigger. It doesn't happen often and if the rifle is pointed in a safe direction at all time, there will be nobody hurt if one goes bang.

I have a 700 and continue to shoot it without worry.

The Smith and Wesson/Howa has a factory recall that is still valid. If the bolt is disassembled and reassembled wrong an AD can happy. The recall has you send the bolt back and a new bolt shroud is installed making it impossible to put it back together wrong. The service folks keep computor records of which rifles have been retrofitted and which have not been. When in doubt about a used rifle, call them. A google search will turn up their phone number.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.