Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 45LC, Pan or Tumble lube?

In Remembrance

45LC, Pan or Tumble lube?

I cast up some RCBS 45-250-FN boolits and wanted opinions on tumble lube with 45-45-10 or pan lube with Barry Darr's or both?
    These will be used in a revolver and be pushed by 9 or 10 grains of Unique.

I'm using pure JPW on the NOE 452-230 HP with Trailboss. I think 45/45/10 would be more than adequate.

Either one will work. As long as the throats aren't undersized you shouldn't have leading.

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Either one will work. As long as the throats aren't undersized you shouldn't have leading.
    I have used both in similar loads but find the 45/45/10 lube more accurate, cleaner and smokes less. If I go much hotter than the loads you listed, both start to lead a little for me. Just my observations
    jmsj

I shoot alot of .45colt but not more than most on this web site FOR ME let me say that again FOR ME what I have found is for performance assuming your gun is right they both work great. They both can be very messy if you are having a bad day. my suggestion is to try both. I wound up pan lubing for a year then bought a lubrisizer and I will still use the 45/45/10 to try different loads that don't need to be sized. ymmv

Pan lube; It is faster and more effective if you are using a lube that is not brittle hard. I have best luck shooting as cast .455 to .457 in a Smith 25, USFA single action army, Schofield clone and various .45 auto. 9 or 10 grains of Unique seems pretty hot.

Boolit Master
    For my various 45LC revolvers and "Plinking" rifles I cast Lee 452-255RF out of Wheel Weights and tumble lube with LEE Alox. I load 6.2g of Green Dot under them. I've shot thousands of this round through various rifles and revolvers and get zero leading and very easy clean up.

The amount of bullets I shoot in a week make anything but tumble lubing not efficient enough.

On my big bore rifles, 45-70, I pan lube with White Label 50-50. I also pan lube with 50-50 for my 45LC gas checked hunting loads which are stepping out at considerable more velocity than my Cowboy loads.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

In Remembrance

I have about 150 boolits pan lubed and have six each sized and loaded over 8, 9, and 10 grains of Unique as I have read that many go to loads for .45LC being at 9 to 10 grain range.
    I may have to invest in a .454 sizer though as the bore measured .451 across three different slugs and the boolits are sized at .452. I guess that after thinking this thru I am tumble lubing a .30 cal boolit that works fine and these .45 boolits have the same kind of lube groove.
    Sometimes I get tunnel vision overthinking these things but for now I have several pan lubed boolits.

It gets easy to over think things. If what you are doing stick with it. I quit pan lubing basically cause I can make a mess just thinking about it. I had a especially messy Saturday once and on Monday bought a lubrisizer. For me I can still manage to make a mess.
    Nothing wrong at all with the Lee push thru sizers but personally if it fits in my guns it's good to go

I would just tumble lube with 45/45/10, it works great for me with velocities up to 1200-1300 fps.

I can tumble lube 1000 boolits in about 15 minutes, works great. Leave to dry for a couple of days and you are all set. I do this for almost all my boolits except for the heavy 1500+ fps loads, where I use a sizer and commercial stick lube.

Boolit Master
    I tumble lube mine myself.

Boolit Master
    Lead-1

I have pan lubed bullets quite a bit (Use a lubrisizer now) I think either method you suggest will work well.
    I hope you won't use that heavy of a powder charge in a Colt or Colt clone handgun. I think that 9 or 10grs of Unique would be just a bit much for a Colt/clone.
    Good shooting.
    Frank
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

In Remembrance

These are to be used in a Virginian Dragoon and from what I have read the strength of these are on par with the Rugers.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance

OK, I will give that load a try also. The roundball load in that link is interesting to say the least, I dont think I've seen that before.