Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 41 Long Colt

Boolit Master

41 Long Colt

My nephew called a little bit ago and said that he picked up a Colt 1898 41 long colt hand gun.
    He said that the gun shop wanted to get rid of it because no loaded ammo was available and no brass can be had,
    Can 41 long clot brass be made from 41 magnum cases or no?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

This fellow seems to have some good advice

Boolit Master
    Starline now makes brass but it is expensive.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

He's coming over tomorrow for Thanksgiving and bringing the gun.
    Hope to get some pictures.

Boolit Buddy
    I was tinkering witht the idea of building a .41 LC cartridge some time ago. The brass is pricey- the bullets can be found or cast, usually a HB bullet.
    It's an expensive cartridge. I looked some up on Midway Usa they were selling 50 rnds for $80.00 +

Even the dies are pricey.

Boolit Master
    Seems like a member here resurrected a .41 Colt a year or so ago. Perhaps he'll chime in with his experiences.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I occasionally come across loaded/unloaded 41 Long Colt brass at gun shows. Fortunately, I have a small supply on hand for my loading and shooting needs.

That was a Great link Bulldogger for "Everything you ever wanted to know about the 41 Long Colt".

Here is another short but informative blurb from Bob Shell's Blog, about the 41 Long Colt and Colt revolvers.

http://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/20...revolvers.html

He talks a bit about what a hassle it is to make 41LC brass out of 41 Magnum brass in the article.

There is even a little bit of load development, as well as the data from a few loads shot across a chronograph in the article. Maybe you will find it an interesting read.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    I've thought many times of making a custom .41 LC with a .385" barrel and normal revolver chambers with .386" cylinder throats to do away with needing hollow base bullets. The cost of everything always scares me away, that and having the .385" area bracketed pretty well already.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    HarryO is the gent to read if you want info on the 41 Colt. He has done a lot of work with them and has been kind enough to share it.

THere are a couple of options for getting brass but Starline is the best choice.

One of the importers has brought out a smaller sized Model P and chambers it for the 41 Colt if anyone is looking for a new made revovler in that chambering. And someone is offerring a 41 Colt cylinder to be used in converting 36 caliber C&B revovlers. Still a lot of interest for an obsolete cartridge!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

41 Colt

Hickory,

I have nearly a full box of original 200gr. 41 SHORT here. Would these work in a pinch?

Regards,

Scott

Boolit Master

How much?

Boolit Master

Always like seeing a 41 Long Colt thread. I actually shot a couple of small hogs with a pistol that belonged to my wife's grandfather. He had been a Deputy Sheriff in King County, Washington. Had a holster, badge, and the only box of cartridges he had bought during his career. My mother in law said that he actually never carried it. She did remember him getting a call where he thought he would need it. He kept the ammo on top of the old wall phone and while he was taking the call and loading the pistol the box fell, split and sent cartridges across the kitchen floor. The two rounds that killed those hogs taking a siesta came from that box and where the only two shots I ever took with the pistol. Everyone in this story has passed, except me, so I made sure a great, great grandson took possession of the pistol.

I did have one of the few Lee Loaders in 41 Long Colt but sold it a number of years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41LC_Ammo_Box.jpg   Two_Hogs_With_41_Long_Colt.jpg   41LC Bullet.jpg  
    Michael

Boolit Master

Well, my nephew showed up today with the 41 long colt.
    I'd like to say it was in very good shape and we are going to make a shooter out of it.
    But, it was in really bad shape and bordered on being a piece of junk.

It had been re-nickered and was buffed to the point to where no lettering was visible.
    Also, the cylinder was not only out of time, but, would not lockup. A free wheeler.

I was really excited and I guess I should have kept my own counsel on this until I saw it.

Boolit Master
    well if it is that rough. then no harm done fitting a .38-40 cylander and having a shooter.