Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patch Lube

Boolit Buddy
    Ballistol and water 7/1 for range practice,,,Trappers Mink oil from TOW for woods work,,,Check your POA/POI when changing from liquid to grease, things change!

I bought some "Bumblin' Bear Grease" from October Country, but havent had time to try it yet, it feels promising. Also managed to come by a pint of plain bear oil, haven't played with it yet either.

I have been very pleased with the first two,,,and have used them for years, but I like to experiment,,mebbe if I only find the perfect lube, all of the shots will go into one hole at 200 yds! yeah, you betcha....

Been thinkin" about adding a little kerosene to the ballistol/water mix,,,for no particular reason.

That fellow over on the ML forum seems to really like his liquid wrench, guess I'll try that too. Did I say that I like to experiment??

It seems that this thread is about home made lubes and not bought lubes. If you are also considering bought products I like T/C Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter.
    Freedom Is Never Free!
    Proud Member of The NRA

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post
    It seems that this thread is about home made lubes and not bought lubes. If you are also considering bought products I like T/C Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter.
    I use 3 Rivers solvent/patch lube from The Gun Works in Eugene Oregon

anyone ever try Johnsons Paste wax as lube? or Alox? or a mixture of both?
    Last edited by 7of7; 11-16-2011 at 02:07 AM.
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 7of7 View Post
    anyone ever try Johnsons Paste wax as lube? or Alox? or a mixture of both?
    Sombody on here uses Alox for his REAL's but I haven't heard of it being used on patches. Don't see why not.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

You can use just plain Crisco, or Beeswax/Olive oil, 50/50 or there abouts.
    I use the Beeswax/Olive oil. To stiffen it up, I add Crisco. So far, great.
    A little Beeswax, goes a long way. I bought a 5lb cake, and I have 4.5 lbs left.
    It will keep though.
    I have used Olive oil, vegetable oil, Carnuba oil. They all work well.
    Clean up is a snap.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    You can use just plain Crisco, or Beeswax/Olive oil, 50/50 or there abouts.
    I use the Beeswax/Olive oil. To stiffen it up, I add Crisco. So far, great.
    A little Beeswax, goes a long way. I bought a 5lb cake, and I have 4.5 lbs left.
    It will keep though.
    I have used Olive oil, vegetable oil, Carnuba oil. They all work well.
    Clean up is a snap.
    Might as well add Coppertone etc. Back in the day bacon greese was used too. Dunno why bear/deer/antelope/elk tallow can't be used either. (I'm sure it was. Trying to make a point. Flame away.)
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
    Might as well add Coppertone etc. Back in the day bacon greese was used too. Dunno why bear/deer/antelope/elk tallow can't be used either. (I'm sure it was. Trying to make a point. Flame away.)
    Didn't think about the Coppertone...May have to give it a try, since I have some that won't be used... since I live in Washington.. LOL

So, from what I am reading, just about anything will work.. some better than others.. so what stuff should really be avoided?
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Petroleum products with the exception of Vaseline and canning paraffin should be avoided. The residue is literally asphalt.

Boolit Master
    3 parts rendered venison tallow to 1 part bees wax , it has many uses , patch lube or conical lube is one of them can't tell you how many you can load between wiping , i wipe after every shot when sighting in , as i set the sights for the first shot from a clean barrel for hunting

for the range , 1/3 rubbing alcohol , 1/3 hydrogen peroxide 1/3 Murphy oil soap mix and put in a small dark colored spray bottle
    wally world sells the hydrogen peroxide in a 8 oz sprat bottle that is brown plastic this is a good bottle for this

20 plus loads , each as easy to push down the barrel as the last one , we use this for 4h muzzle loader competition shooting where the difference of wiping once between shots and not between other shots is enough to cost you points , it is very consistent

Thanks for all the ideas. I am just gettiung back into muzzle loaders after 15yrs so some of the things i used then are not around anymore. I used to use a product called Spit Patch. I would take a chewing tobacco can and cut a piece of felt from a boot liner and put in it then soak it with spit patch. Then you just pressed your patch into it at the range. Cant find that stuff here anymore.
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Petroleum products with the exception of Vaseline and canning paraffin should be avoided. The residue is literally asphalt.
    Thanks Alan!!!
    I didn't realize that about the petroleum products. It is good to make note of..

Boolit Grand Master

Whats wrong with regular saliva? I was using the "suck on a strip of cloth" method and it seamed to be working realy well at the range, but I have no idea how well it would work after sitting in the bore for 5 hours.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Saliva works great for the target range. Actually, it is usually the very best there is. It just dries me out. I usually use Hoppes #9 Plus or olive oil.

If you are going to leave it loaded for a few hours, as in hunting, saliva will rust the bore.

I did some comparing over the weekend:
    Corbin's Swage Lube, JPW, Olive oil..

The swage lube seemed to work the best for fouling reduction.
    JPW was also good however not as effective as the swage lube
    Olive oil came in last.. had to swab the barrel every other shot in order to be able to load fairly easy..

Next weekend:
    Crisco/Olive oil mix.. (have quite a few pre-lubed with olive oil... just adding crisco..
    more swage lube..

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Pigslayer View Post
    Try "Old Zip Patch Grease" from Dixie Gun Works. Made from Mutton Tallow & Beeswax. I love it! I've tried others including Bore Butter. The BB worked but I really wasn't impressed with it in cold weather.
    Try some "Old Zip Patch Grease". I think you'll be pleased.
    A few days ago, there was a mention of "Old Zip Patch Grease" on another forum. I had recently cooked some fatty Lamb. I ended up with as much fat as if I roasted a domestic Duck. I decided to filter some of that fat and add some of Randyrat's fresh smelling beeswax and make a batch (2 half pint jars) of Old Zip Patch Grease (which is about 50-50, I'm told) and give it a try on my next BP outing.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-24-2023 at 11:41 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Hey jonb
    I have tried many types when I started on the muzzle loader trail whale oil was the lube to use that gone I went to mink oil(pure). Tried TOW mink blend did good but I wanted less cost so I rendered beef fat to tallow and added bees wax to stiffen.This works very well and the cost is much better, I get wax from a local hive, and the fat from a local butcher.
    Graysmoke

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post
    Hey jonb
    I have tried many types when I started on the muzzle loader trail whale oil was the lube to use that gone I went to mink oil(pure). Tried TOW mink blend did good but I wanted less cost so I rendered beef fat to tallow and added bees wax to stiffen.This works very well and the cost is much better, I get wax from a local hive, and the fat from a local butcher.
    Graysmoke
    whale oil is kinda hard to come by these a days. I do have some native cousins in AK, but they live inland...one cousin asked if Seal oil would work?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Jojoba oil is a whale oil substitute. I use it to oil my rifles. I've used it as patch lube. I set my uncle's back yard on fire because a jojoba oil soaked patch lit up the dry grass. Wasn't fun and narrowly avoided a major dry season brush fire.

Great gun oil, not so great patch lube. I stick with Gato Feo. Think SPG.

Bore Butter mostly...but I have used Bag Balm in a pinch. (basically just Vaseline with Lanolin)

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast