Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swedish Roller 12.7 x 44mm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Okay they might have stopped the sale of those cases, perhaps they still can order them for you. If they sell the other cases of Horneber than ordering the 12,7 should not be a problem in my opinion. I find Huntingtons one of the best suppliers that I ever had contact with, they helped me out more than once with obsolete equipment. It's worth to give them a call.

Peter (Stampede)
    Thanks.

Banned
    Johannsen Jagd shows Horneber 12.7x44R brass at €62.2/20.

http://www.johannsen-jagd.de/data_de...og/katalog.php

I think i'll stay with my converted 348 Winnies.

Thats only $4½ + shipping around the world and then some for the importing store. As the US of A is at war no shipping of most anything gun related are allowed from/to civilian Americans.

Johannsen is one of the most expensive suppliers in Europe, but they have the most broadest selection of reloading equipment and components one can think of. I pay in the Netherlands about $ 1.60 per case for the 12.7 from Horneber. But please note that Horneber re-produces one on "the" best brass you can get your hands on. Johannsen is all so one of the very few official importers of US reloading equipment and materials. If you don't want to import things for your self, they will do.

In my country we pay about $ 3.65 per case for the .348 Winchester. So in both situations ==> importing stuff can cost us both a lot. Plus I have to register the .348 on my gun permit before I even can order/buy/own and use it. But hey Johannsen is in the North of Germany near Hamburg. A trip from Denmark (Chicken Thief) is perhaps worth it. From my town to Johannsen is about 350km. So i do go to them when I go friends in Hamburg. Or my friends buy materials for me and i come and pick it up later on.

At this time I need an "US export licence" for ordering some reloading components from the US. I have to acquire that licence from the: Bureau of Industry and Security & Export Administration Regulations the last time i did that i have to wait up to 5 months before I received it and it set me back $ 40.-- per registered item!!!! No fun in that any more.

Peter (Stampede)
    Last edited by Stampede; 11-15-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Banned
    I buy online from Sweden and get 348's at my door for @1 Dollar a piece.

www.vapex.se

Stampede shoot me a PM if you need anything "interesting"

Whooo.....That's much better, I took a quick look at their site....Super. I do think I will contact them. Thanks for the tip !!!!

Peter
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Finally got to shoot the Swede RB today using 10 cases I have made for it. The 450/400 NE case was perfect as was the few Bertram cases. 348 Winchester was a disaster with most failing to fireform properly.

On the positive side, I posted this target at 100yds sitting with a load of 65gn Wano 2P and a Lyman 151141 450gn boolit sized to .510

The two low holes were my sighters and the remainder after an elevation correction.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    BA, Nice shooting. What did your bore measurement come to? Measuring at the muzzle, mine came out at .503". And my Carl Gustav made rifle has a bore which appears hexagonal at the muzzle, as yours. Still have to get a lubrisizer die for it, Lyman 515141 as cast seems a bit large for a .503 bore.

Nice shooting (and results), things are going the right way...... that's for sure!

Peter (Stampede)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    What did your bore measurement come to? Measuring at the muzzle, mine came out at .503". And my Carl Gustav made rifle has a bore which appears hexagonal at the muzzle, as yours. Still have to get a lubrisizer die for it, Lyman 515141 as cast seems a bit large for a .503 bore.
    As close as I can measure .482/.508. They seem to be stabilising and cutting round holes (that target was damp as I was shooting in a rain shower). Initially I loaded a few boolits unsized but they proved to be too big in the case mouth after seating. A .510 is perfect and chambers easily.

The rifling is 6 groove which makes it easy to measure across the lands. One thing I noticed was that even when fireforming cases there was no leakage of BP soot around the case mouth as usually happens.

The fireformed cases I loaded tonight hold a full load of 68.5gn Wano 2P with the same compression as before

Boolit Master
    Thanks. I need to get mine shooting, but seem to have too many projects going right now.

Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Buffalo Arms lists the brass at $78 for a box of 20 (pre-formed Bertram Brass) here: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...56884&CAT=3831

But also lists 12.7x44R Norwegian cases here: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...56883&CAT=3831 for $1.55 each per box of 20 ($31). I have one of these but I'm still learning about it -- are the cartridges interchangeable?

I have an Allin Conversion in 50-70, but .50-70 Starline Brass that I have on hand will not chamber in my 12.77X44R roller. It stops about 1/2 inch from being fully chambered and it appears the .50-70 case head is too large in diameter for this chamber.

Thanks to all above for the info -- I'd really like to get this rifle in action for the upcoming year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecramer View Post
    Buffalo Arms lists the brass at $78 for a box of 20 (pre-formed Bertram Brass) here: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...56884&CAT=3831

But also lists 12.7x44R Norwegian cases here: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...56883&CAT=3831 for $1.55 each per box of 20 ($31). I have one of these but I'm still learning about it -- are the cartridges interchangeable?
    The difference between these two is one is made by Bertram and is very expensive, and the other is formed by Buffalo from .348 Winchester and is far less expensive.

Seriously, both countries used the cartridge and they are the same. .50-70 dies can be used to reload 12.7x44R, but they are not the same cartridge (as you found). I've read that some Swede Rollers can use trimmed .50-70, and some can use .50 Alaskan. This is due to chamber variations. Some people have had their chambers reamed to .50-70 to simplify the brass situation (the .348 conversion doesn't work perfectly for every rifle either, mostly due to rim issues). If .50 Alaskan was reasonable, I'd buy some just to see if they would fit my Swede. But they aren't exactly inexpensive and there is no sense in buying a batch to try one.

Good luck with the rifle.

Ed

Ed,

In my rifle there are only 3 brass cases that work, Bertram 12.7x44mm which sell here for $AU100/20, 348 Winchester which are a little small in the rim but will work and 450/400 NE cases which are the best of all.

New Starline 50/70 cases require turning .015 off of the body just in front of the rim and turning the rim down .020 to fit the extractor. Once fireformed, a 50/70 sizer will not reduce the body of the case enough to rechamber so the correct dies are required.

CH4D can supply loading dies for approx $US75.

I use a Lyman 50/70 boolit which casts 442gn and .514 diameter. Loading these without sizing and the case mouth expands to be a tight fit into the chamber. Passing them into a .510 die and it is perfect for the .508 bore of my rifle.

I contacted Bertram direct and was able to secure 50 x 450/400 NE cases as factory 'seconds' for just $2 ea; this is the cheapest way to secure usuable cases for firing. I have a few shooters with old 450NE cases that have split in the neck so I'm going to trim and anneal these to see if they work also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    Thanks. I need to get mine shooting, but seem to have too many projects going right now.

Ed
    Ed, I would sure hate to see you get too far behind on those projects. Me being the nice guy that I am, I'll take that Roller of your hands just to save you all of that trouble. It will be nice big brother to my Swede 1889.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Ed, I would sure hate to see you get too far behind on those projects. Me being the nice guy that I am, I'll take that Roller of your hands just to save you all of that trouble. It will be nice big brother to my Swede 1889.

Bob
    Golly, that sure is a generous offer. But if I keep this up I'll manage to get through it all.

Good thing I'm retired, else there is no way I'd ever find enough time to do stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Ed, snip

New Starline 50/70 cases require turning .015 off of the body just in front of the rim and turning the rim down .020 to fit the extractor. Once fireformed, a 50/70 sizer will not reduce the body of the case enough to rechamber so the correct dies are required. snip
    To what do you attribute the Starline cases being larger than the chamber after firing? That seems somehow wrong, given the spring back of the brass case. Is there some stretch of the case out of the chamber, causing the base of the case to be larger than the chamber?

Because I have a NYS Militia Roller, I wouldn't want to use .50-70 brass. It wouldn't be damaging, or dangerous, as other cartridge mix-ups might be. But I still prefer to avoid cartridge cases with an erroneous headstamp (when possible) for rifles I own.

Ed

Hi all!
    I live in Sweden and we can still bye the cases.
    You find them at this seller:
    http://www.skytteservice.se/Skytteservice.se/Hem.html
    Page 13:
    http://www.skytteservice.se/Skyttese...a%202017_2.pdf
    They are not cheap... 4dollars a pice.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Really old thread, but interesting. Most of use who are shooting this type of roller from Sweden have experienced this issue at some time or other. For the 12,7x44R shooter with this challenge ahead of you here is a suggestion from what I did. First I got 50 Alaskan brass from Starline, both the 450 and the 500 gr .515 molds from Lee along with a push through sizer of .510, a Lee 50-70 set of reloading dies. What worked for my Husky and Remy was trimming the brass back to 42mm, THAT made all the difference in chambering.

This has been very timely for me. Got a Swede roller coming in this week. Great anticipation.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Boolit Master
    This is very timely indeed. I got a roller a few weeks back and am very interested in where this is going.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast