Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .25 Hornet Uberti Baby Rolling Block

The Fabulous ..25 Hornet

Hi Folks,
    Have been away for quite some time....lots of water under the bridge...some good and some bad.
    Since my last post I have fired over 3k rounds thru my little Uberti RB .25 Hornet...all with cast bullets. No leading...ever. I never really clean the bore. Just brush the bore and chamber with a bronze brush and run a dry patch thru the bore and done!
    This rifle was primarily built to shoot ground squirrels in the high country here in Montana. So far I have killed 1600+ ground sqirrels, 4 prairie dogs and 3 badgers....all with the 257420 cast bullet of around 70+/-gr.
    I started with some 900 of these bullets from an estate on Gunbroker. They were 68gr Hollow points. They really whacked the ground sqirrels. I picked up another 750 plain nosed bullets from another source and these worked well too. Maybe not as good as the HP bullets but good clean kills.
    A few months ago I picked up a new Lyman 257420 mold. I had a friend who owns a cast bullet company offer to cast me up a thousand. He cast them up using pure linotype from a bar that I supplied. These shoot well up to about 1900 fps. These bullets do not flatten out at all, but still produce good clean kills.
    To test out this cartridge, I decided to compare it to a popular rifle caliber used here in Montana for ground sqirrels. So, I purchased a Savage .17HMR std barrel with the accu-trigger. I mounted a Burris 3-9 Rimfire scope...sighted it in and was ready to go. I recently went to one of my favorite spots and shot around 100 ground squirrels. I carefully observed how well the .17HMR killed as well as seeing the damage done to the carcases. (Hope this doesn't gross anyone out!). I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the .25 Hornet is a better killer. More clean kills...less wounded animals.
    This is going to be a short ground sqirrel shooting year. We have had LOTS of rain...probably the rain that Colorado wished they had. The grass is getting high weeks early this year. Unlike paririe dogs, ground sqirrels do not remove all of the tall grass around their burrows. Instead, they make tunnels thru the grass from burrow to burrow. A big squirrel stands about 9-10" high. So, when the grass gets over a foot high the shooting becomes very challenging. In Montana's high country, the grass can get 24" high. It is getting in the 18" range at this time and seeing the little buggers is almost impossible.
    I don't have any trouble sharing my loads. I shoot Hodgdon's Lil'Gun exclusively. With the 257420 bullet I use 7.8gr in fireformed Winchester cases in front of a CCI 500 primer. The small pistol primer gives excellent uniformity. Velocity is a little over 1800 fps. This gun will take up to 9.0 grains with velocities over 2000fps....BUT the accuracy in not there...not near good enough for 75yd shots and over. My best accuracy is with the 7.8-8.0gr load.
    The chamber on this rifle was cut using a JGS reamer and the dies are made by CH4D. Case life is excellent...even with repeated full length resizing. I have tried Remington cases and have over 50% losses during fire forming and case life is poor. The Winchester cases are the ticket with virtually no losses.
    Fire forming is done using a .22 caliber bullet (I have a larger quantity of no good 22 caliber J bullets) ahead of 6.0gr of Bullseye +/_ 1/2 gr. When using this method DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A .22 CALIBER BULLET...CAST IS OK TOO....otherwise dangerous high pressure may occur. The .22 bullets (of any weight) have enough blow by to give good fire forming without too much pressure. There is no jacket fouling using this method.
    I have tried neck expansion using a neck expander and the cases come out much too short. Properly fire formed cases require a little trimming. I trim my cases to a length of 1.380".
    This little cartridge is nothing short of amazing. Non existent recoil, modest noise, and very good killing power even on tough badger sized animals.
    I am adding a picture of the rifle in the field. Hope no one is offended.
    All 'til next time,
    Bearmn56 (Bill)
    Montana Territory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0104.jpg  
    Last edited by bearmn56; 06-27-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add picture

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!
    I have the same uberti baby rolling block in .357 mag that I rechambered to .357 max. It shoots 180gr at 1800fps.....a conservative velocity for the max chambering but I'm ok with it. These pressures are still lower than the pressures that the 5.56 x 50 RM make, also a caliber that uberti offered the BRB in.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Nice job pulling up the old thread for an update. Lovely rifle.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Glad this thread came back. This is the kind of thing that makes shooting fun !!!!!!
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    Two questions:

Ever thought about breach seating and LilGun? Or Holy Black?

How are those HiLux scope mounts working out? I've heard some horror stories, basically that they are junk. Comments?

Love your project, BTW.

Kermit,
    I have had no problems with the scope or the mounts. I even took a pretty good nosedive last year...dropping the rifle on the scope. The mounts were slightly bent....I straightened them, resighted the rifle (they were pretty close to being right on after being straightened) and went right on shooting. The scope was not harmed at all. Have fired some 1000+ rounds since then with no problems.
    This scope is a 6X and that is the minimum power that I would use with the .25 Hornet. I have made dozens of off-hand shots with this rifle with good success.
    I had the bases installed by the same gunsmith that relined and chambered the barrel. This scope fits perfectly on the little rolling block.
    Hope this answers your question...
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Boolit Master
    What a great read. I had heard about the 25 Hornet but never read an in-depth review by some one that owned or made one. As much as I love my 256WM, if I had read about this I probably would of had a Contender barrel made for it instead.

Boolit Master
    Very nice Rifle. Very Good Thread and descriptions, makes me 'kind'a Jealous' of your shooting opportunities as I live in a County that has put restrictions on hunting anything.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Can't keep a good thread down. I'm glad it popped back up again.
    Sully

Spectacular. I want one.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Enjoyed this thread big time, thank you!.
    Very impressed with the ballistics/ results you are getting from this little caliber. I would call that very highly efficient, 1800fps 7.8gr powder with 257-420 ain't half bad.

Please keep us posted and updated with that little gem of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Spectacular. I want one.
    I hate to say it but, it's on my project list - lovely little cartridge and does appear to be much easier to work with than 256 win mag.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

What a great concept base rifle and caliber.
    After all, single shot rifles are supposed to have a hammer.

Leading is nonexistent so all must be going together well.

Leading with proper boolit and loading just does not seem to happen to me.

A couple of years ago I ran about a full BRICK of primers thru a Husky 7 mm Mag and only ran a tight patch made from Army Wool sock (Green for those that go that far back) every hundred or two rounds.

Really did not seem to be a need for it but it just seemed that sooner or later it would need it.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 07-02-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Bearmn56, have you had any issues keeping that lace-on cheek rest in one place? I have one on my roller and it doesn't like to hold still.

Get some tool box drawer liner, Lowe's or Sear's. It is kind of tacky so the tools don't slide around in the drawers and does the same for the cheek pieces.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

That's a nice rifle. From the looks of those varmints, it also looks like a shooter.
    Hey, I got one of those cheek pads/risers for sale on the Swappin and Sellin site. They work good.
    That one looks very nice on your rifle.
    Regards
    Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Durn! Now I have to rethink leaving my Martini 297/250 stock.

Boolit Mold
    Hello that rifle is just the thing. I have a Stevens drop block in 25 rimfire. Or it was. Now it is center fire . only thing is I load black powder only. Have reamed the chamber to the 25 Ackly hornet.

Boolit Mold
    Howdy it is me again . a update I ordered a mold from down under. Cast bullet engendering. Cast a 60 gr. Flat point. I really like the bullet. And the mold is beautifully made. On another note I have a #4 rolling block that I converted from 32 rimfire to center fire shooting squesed down 32 smith and Wesson . and a heeled bullet. Fun little rifle it is shot with Black also.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    May I extend my thanks for bringing this back for us with the update. I grew up in North Dakota and reading of your gopher (buffalo) hunt was great fun. It brought back wonderful memories of my brother, cousin and father and of course me, all popping away with our .22s at those pasture rats. Thanks also for the pictures. I enjoy reading of the work you gunsmiths do and the pictures just make it a bit more fun.

Found a Martini Cadet in 22 hornet up in Payson gun shop but they wanted $1k - more than I'm willing to pay.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12