Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Cast in AR at 200 yards

Boolit Master

Cast in AR at 200 yards

This is to update and answer the question posed in my other thread.

Yes you can take Cast loads too 200 yards. And you can actually hit a target!
    As some of you know from my other thread I've been working up a viable load that will fiunction in the AR platform. Purpose -cheap target/plinking /varmit that fully function action as intended.

The Firearm: 16" DPMS HBAR Carbine/ AT lower/stock trigger
    4X fixed Barska A2 mount with bullet drop compancaitor.

Now other then selecting the Drop setting for 200 yards I didn't make any site adjustments for this load. Since it was centered at 100 yards. So with a hold point of centered on the target and slow fire the drift seen is most likely do to the slight wind from 8 o'clock an slow bullets. I got 6 of 10 on the paper with the other 4 just off paper and since I was about 3 MOA at 100 yards the spread was about as expected for 200 yards. Obviously it's not Match shooting but hey I don't expect it from the AR used nor this load. I am concerned with the three bullets found that had lost there GC though, I'm thinking they were stripped from passing through the target cause if they had falling off after leaving the barrel from my experience the bullet usually doesn't get to the target at distances!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1475.jpg  
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 12-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Gunnut that dont look to shabby! looks like with a little tweeking you could cut your group in half.

Boolit Master
    357 Voodoo
    Yea not to bad, for the first time shooting at 200 yards. I loaded the next group with alittle more attention to details and bullet wt variance! Cut it down to .2 +/- gr this time. I might get out tomorrow to see where I'm at. With a A4 adjustable stock one can't expect great accuracy. I might have to run these through my Savage Hunter 11 to see the real potential.

Was that load 8.7 or 18.7 grs of IMR 4895?
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    hicard
    Thats 18.7 gr IMR4895! I haven't chrony them yet I just got a new chrony so I'll through some over it to see what they are doing.

Try using a kicker of something like Blue Dot, 3.0gr, topped with a slow burning powder like WC860 or WC872. Works pretty good in my 6x45 AR. 4350 or RL19 are also viable options. I single load, so can't attest to function, or lack thereof. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...highlight=6x45
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson