Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62 x 54R 1st loads

Boolit Bub
    As my names states I am very new to this. Question is has anyone came up with a load that is accurate that also reduces felt recoil? My 8 year old would like to shoot my 91/30 but I know for sure he will land on his backside.

Reduced Loads

I used a different case, .300 Sav, but it's approximately the same capacity. In years past, when I had a decent Savage 99, I would load a .22 case full of green dot, no filler, under a 170 gr cast, for plinking. At short range, shooting offhand, I could get cloverleaf groups out of it. Couple of cautionary notes: When using this small of a powder charge, it won't work if the case is very big. A dacron or equivalent filler might help. You will also need to work up the load like usual to be sure the charge will actually get the boolit out of that long barrel. With a charge this light, it could be sensitive to outside temperature, so I would test it under summer and winter conditions, to be sure it won't misfire when it is extremely cold.

Plinking loads are fun, and the kids like them. Recoil is almost nonexistant, but you still get a satisfying "bang".

Wayne
    Last edited by WRideout; 11-25-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Change terminology

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloading noob View Post
    As my names states I am very new to this. Question is has anyone came up with a load that is accurate that also reduces felt recoil? My 8 year old would like to shoot my 91/30 but I know for sure he will land on his backside.
    Get a box of the Hornady .32 swaged lead SWC bullets. Load them over 3.2 gr of Bullseye. That will give 800-900 fps depending on barrel and excellent accuracy through 100+ yards. Recoil with be a total non issue and the noise level is very low. it is an excellent plinking, gallery and small game load. If you fired cases inside neck diameter is .314 or less you don't have to even resize tem. I just wipe the cases off with a rag or paper towel, deprime, reprime, charge with powder and thumb push the bullets in (some will require a seating die). I have fired such cases 50+ times without ever having to resized the necks.

If those bullets work out the Lee TL314-90-SWC is a duplicate. You can cast them out of most any scrap alloy and very lightly tumble lube with LLA for the same results as the Hornadys.

Your 8 year old will love shooting them, you will love shooting them and your wife will love shooting them also. Be warned though you may find yourself on the loading end and not getting to shoot many yourself

Larry Gibson

Hey, Larry, thanks for posting your low recoil quiet recipes. I see you have had the same experience I have with how to shoot cheap but accurately.

I've been shooting 91/30 Mosin-Nagants since 1964 (no, that doesn't make me an expert, just old :>). My two favorite non-full house loads use the Lee C185-312-1R boolit pushed out the bore with 13 grains Red Dot, or a full case of WC860 with 4 grains IMR4895 over the flash hole to get the mummies all burned up. Those two are very good, with the Red Dot load being the cheapest and the WC860/IMR4895 being the most accurate. The accuracy of either is actually pretty darned good, though.

Another favorite of mine in any of the .30 and .31 caliber milsurp rifles is a 0.312" 45 grain round ball pushed with ~ 4 grains of Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, Unique, or any other of the fast shot shell and pistol powders. No case filler is needed, but I use the muzzle-up before firing maneuver to get consistent accuracy from shot to shot. The point of aim - point of impact is off a bit from where 125-200 grain boolits and bullets normally land. I compensate by painting a new rear sight mark with some copier white out, I recall that the new mark must be to the left of the original rear sight notch. I do that instead of moving the rear sight over because moving the rear sight in a rifle other than a Garand is a royal pain between the hip pockets.

rl 1021
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Master

I've read Larry Gibson's responses as a lurker and that was a major learning experience. I now shoot a 32 cal SWC pistol boolit in my FR7, 308 Cetme (nato?) with Green Dot and find very good groups at 50yds and NO recoil. Simply done and lots of fun.

I've read Larry Gibson's responses as a lurker and that was a major learning experience. I now shoot a 32 cal SWC pistol boolit in my FR7, 308 Cetme (nato?) with Green Dot and find very good groups at 50yds and NO recoil. Simply done and lots of fun.
    Yup, I started putting together 93gr RN from my .32 ACP over 4gr. Red Dot as pest-control for my AK some time ago. It turned it into a quiet, hard-hitting pellet gun that does a quick job of keeping skunk and coon visitors under control. I cast up a pile before I milled down my mold to drop 80gr. and still have a few left, but I'm going to either have to pick up another 93gr. mold or try the 80's... Should be fun either way.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

+1 on the .314 LSWC I don't have a mold for that bullet so I've been using the Hornady 32 Cal .314 90 gr. SWC bullet a friend gave me a box of over 5 grs. of Bullseye. Accuracy is excellent out to around 25 yds. that's a far as I've tested it.

On a side note I didn't find the 16.0 gr. load of 2400 or 13.0 grs. Red Dot load using the Lee .312 TL 160 gr. bullet had any real felt recoil although velocity is pretty decent,the rifles weight seem to soak it up pretty well and accuracy at least in my rifle with these two loads is better than I could have imagined.

Banned

Accurate 5744

Casting a LEE 312-155-2R gr for the 91/30. Using Accurate 5744. Any pet loads with this out there?

Hi, Pigslayer, the Lee 312-155-2R and Lee 312-160-2R are fairly recent newcomers. I got those two molds for my AK47 pretty recently and I haven't had time to try them in any of my several Mosin-Nagants. Should work fine and maybe even carry a bit more energy down range with their slightly better aerodynamic shape.

Check the weight of your particular Lee 312-155-2R, I seem to recall that the actual as-cast weight is up around 170 grains using wheel weights. That doesn't hurt anything as far as being an excellent boolit, but it could help in preventing pressure problems in high-end loads. For practical purposes, cast boolit rifle loads should be around ~ 2000 feet per second, although it is actually pretty easy to get cast loads up around 2800 to 3000 feet per second when special attention is given to powder choice, lubrication, and bore fit in a rifle that has a really nice bore finish AND a long enough barrel. A 91/30 has a plenty long enough barrel - nice rifle, too, I have five of them.

Good Luck!

rl 1,055
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Banned
    My 312-155-2R is dropping bullets at 143.1. Checked against two different beam scales. My bullets always seen to run light.
    My mix is 1.5lbs. 30/70 Superhard from Rotometals, 1lb. 50/50 from Rotometals & 7lbs. pure lead. Percentage: 5.26% Tin, 4.74% Antimony & 90% Lead giving me a Brinell hardnes of 14.5. That's real close to a Lyman #2 which has a Brinell Hardness of 15. This is interesting. Just checked & W/W composition is .5% Tin, 3.0% Antimony & 96.3% Lead. That's the reason yours are running heavier.
    Last edited by Pigslayer; 12-19-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12