Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 x 54R 1st loads

Boolit Master

Lightbulb 7.62 x 54R 1st loads

I have some 311466 lyman gas checked boolits and using new brass cases I settled on 12.4 grs of Unique and with the 311291 same powder type & charge. do up 10 each and then 10 each using 2400 311466 boolit 23.5 & 311291 22. 0 grs was going to use 23.5 in both but thats just under max with the 311291 boolit.
    Then off to the range.
    I do have some of the surplus powder from the pulled bullets, that bullet had 46.4 grs of powder in it so I was going to drop to 30 grs and load a 10 each up.
    Last edited by Tom-ADC; 10-26-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Sounds like a great start to me. I've played with 2400 on my 173gr. GC boolits, and they weren't bad. What mine REALLY likes is 25gr. IMR 4895. The funnest and most accurate plinking load I have is 13gr. Red Dot.

Looking forward to the range report.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna get some Red Dot for my next powder purchase. Then I will try that load, RF.
    16 grains 2400 over 160 gr. GC boolit = 1600fps and good accuracy (great out of the .308, good out of the 91/30. .308, sized to .309, 91/30, sized to .314, Lee push through sizers also apply the gas checks. 30 grains of Varget is only another 100 fps, +/-

Boolit Master

My old copy of Lyman loading manual 45th edition shows some nice loads using 2400, but Unique & 2400 are the only powders they use for cast boolits.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Currently I just shooting the 16.0 grs. of 2400 and 13.0 gr. Red Dot loads in my M44 with the Lee .312 TL GC bullet,accuracy is beyond anything I could have imagined.

I'm going to try some higher velocity loads at some point but it will probably be next spring before I get into that,to many other project on the burner.

Good luck at the range looking forward to seeing your results.

Boolit Master

I settled on 23.6 grs of 2400 for both boolits now I need to get to the range.
    Rifle cleaned up nice, I have 400 rounds of Yugo non magnetic 187 grain I'm going to try also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
    I settled on 23.6 grs of 2400 for both boolits now I need to get to the range.
    Rifle cleaned up nice, I have 400 rounds of Yugo non magnetic 187 grain I'm going to try also.
    Tom I have about 250 rds. left of the same Yugo ammo,it shot really well out of my M44 groups averaged around 3" at 100 yds. with the iron before I mounted the scope I'm sure they will do much better now that I have a better view. It's a darn shame that the Yugo brass is berdan primed,it's some good stuff made by PPU. Hope more of that stuff comes on the market.

Boolit Man

Smile 7.62x54r load

I have been shooting the noe 316299 sized to .315 over 13 grains of red dot in my 91/30 and it holds under 2 minutes at 100 yards all day long. Pleasant to shoot and its fun to watch the other guys on the line shake their heads in amazement that my "relic" shoots as well or better than their expensive iron. I use PPU brass and neck size only. I have probably run over 350 rounds thru it so far.

Good luck with it and have fun.

Frank

Boolit Master
    I'm in the same camp as you guys. I modified my .308 Lee neck size die for the 7.62x54. I have 60 cases, some of which I've already reloaded 4x. I've had the Nagent for about a month and a half

Personally, I'm having a kicking time casting for mine--plink all day and it's like popping off with a loud .22lr... I'll tell you where I'm REALLY starting to enjoy it though. I originally bought this one for working up long range with a mil-surp. 1000+ with any of my custom Remingtons is almost boring these days, so I looked long and hard for a mosin with potential to see how far I could push it. I picked up 1000 pulled 147gr. steel cores, weighed them out and separated, and have been toying with them just a little as time allows. Currently I have 46gr. H380 pushing the 148gr-148.2gr lot into reeeeally nice groups. Best so far was a 3-shot at 200 yards that was under 1", worst was only 2 1/4". On 100 yards with the weighed lots loaded it will shoot sub-MOA without even trying. My big challenge at the moment is finding someplace to stretch it out now--the only place I have to get out beyond about 250 is 45 minutes away and can't be accessed at all once the snow flies.

These old Russian workhorses are just too much fun to be had.

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

Since the press is set up I'm going to do a few with the surplus powder just for grins.

Boolit Master
    These old Russian workhorses are just too much fun to be had.
    Couldn't agree more. Nice gun for any price, let alone $100. Mine is accurate as hell.

Boolit Grand Master

"The Load", 13 gr of Red Dot will always work as a start in my experiance!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Just loaded 10 up using my steel cases and saved surplus powder from them, 30 grs of powder and 160 gr cast boolit.
    Now I just need to get to the range.

Boolit Buddy

Best load?

Tom,

I have the same mold and put bullets all over the paper. My rifle is very accurate with BT's and 7N1's, but not with the 311466 gc cast boolits. My Lee C312-155 work better. I am using 16-24gr. of 2400. what is your most accurate load and max COL?

O Gotz

Boolit Master

Been out of town, have all this ammo loaded up but haven't shot a single round yet, soon I hope.

Boolit Grand Master

Tom-ADC

That pulldown surplus powder will probably do better (if the flat squarish european type powder or extruded type) with a 1/2 - 3/4 gr dacron filler with such reduced loads and that light of a cast bullet. You'll get more consistent ignition and thus, probably better accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    i have never done anygood in any mosin with 2400 over 21.0 grains of powder. usually i do great with 18.0 with a 155-180 gr bullet and 21.0 gr with a 155 alone. in the 91-30- m44- 28-76 types

2400 has not impressed me in my mosin as well. It really likes "The Load" (13gr Red Dot) under the Lee 160gr (mine finishes at 173gr with GC) and 25gr. IMR4895.

Boolit Master

Noe 129 sp

Has anyone tried the NOE 314 129 SP in a mosin yet? I am trying to get to the casting pot towards that end but have not made it yet.

Thanks,

Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast