MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: 311247 whisper bullet ?

311247 whisper bullet ?

Ok i have cast up a bunch of the long NOE 311247 bullets made for the whisper and I need a lube/size die.

I am loading for a rifle I am having built and for a friend of mine who has moved out of town, needless to say I dont have access to either barrel to get and acurate measurement from. So...

I have the option of ordering a .308 or a .309 size die. what is the recomnded way to go , start small and polish larger if needed or just start with the .309 and hope for the best?

what are you guys sizing to For use in an AR ?

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Ok i have cast up a bunch of the long NOE 311247 bullets made for the whisper and I need a lube/size die.

I am loading for a rifle I am having built and for a friend of mine who has moved out of town, needless to say I dont have access to either barrel to get and acurate measurement from. So...

I have the option of ordering a .308 or a .309 size die. what is the recomnded way to go , start small and polish larger if needed or just start with the .309 and hope for the best?

what are you guys sizing to For use in an AR ?
    I'd say go 0.309" minimum, probably safer with a 03.10" If you can try sending him a dummy round that has an as cast boolit, that might be work, maybe no sizing needed.

Another comment on lube dies, I wouldn't try using a Lyman/RCBS lube sizer. I ended up bending my bullets and went to pan lube/lee sizer nose first. Keeps the boolits straight.

Thanks! Saved me a pointless order.
    Now I just have to digure our how to get the gas checks on without a sizing operation.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

They make gas check seaters or you can get a 0.311" lee sizer just to crimp on gas checks without sizing much or at all.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

oh SURE! Midway has the lee kits in stock so I figured I would pick one up $17.95

go to check out $32.00 HAZMAT fee
    $18.00 shipping.

the lube aint even in a spray can...... is Alox realy a hazmat ?
    Last edited by greywuuf; 10-26-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Anymore hazmat fees are like shipping fees...just another porfit center to make profit without actually having sold an item. P***es me off too!
    T-o-m

Boolit Grand Master
    Order from Grafs and Sons. Don't think they will charge you a hazmant fee

You are correct no hazmat and great service from Graf!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have that mold also and been finding some load data here and there anyone want to share what they are using and what kind of results they are getting. So far I have tried them in my 30/06 and 300 blk. My results were not good sized at 308 got a new sizing die 311 from what I hear should help out alot. Have shot a few in both groups got tighter but not where they need to be. Thanks
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

HAZMAT on a Lee push through OMG and that's not Obama Must Go. MidWay has craped in my mess kit one time to much, BUT to your question.
    1. These bullets drop out of my mold cast from WW at .3125, along with a couple of other heavy NOE 30's. What I do is use NOW GC seater tool and a Lee hand held press and seat the GC while watching TV at night, then use the Lyman 450 with a .312 H&I die to lube. Then use the Lee .309 or a "custom " .310 push through sizing die to size for the Bbl I'm loading for.

Isn't there someone always selling Lee products in the calssifieds ??

Don't think MidSouth charges the Hazmat ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master
    Mike a couple bullets, and get a sizer die that will not size more than .0005".
    The NOE GC seater tool is perfect for the seating operation.

Rich
    everything you do to a cast boolet after you drop it gently onto a folded towel is bad for it...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    oh SURE! Midway has the lee kits in stock so I figured I would pick one up $17.95

go to check out $32.00 HAZMAT fee
    $18.00 shipping.

the lube aint even in a spray can...... is Alox realy a hazmat ?

Well I'm all for bashing when it's deserved, but i'm not seeing it here. I read this and went to their site and ordered a sizing kit in .311 and had no such charges, shipping on a $210 order was a reasonable $13.00 and this includes a 16" 300 blackout barrel, so the package is certainly over sized. I even gave them a call ask if the have ever or ever plan on charging hazmat fees on Lee sizing kits and was told, "NO, the only thing we charge hazmats for are powder and primers"

Not trying to be an "internet cop" just trying to set some facts before the bashing goes too far.

Don't know what to Say.... my order online was two Lee sizing Die kits, and 1000 308 gas checks. in addition to the HAZMAT fee I got the warning about adult signature for ammunition. SO I removed the gas checks figuring the System counted them as bullets(aka ammunition) No change. the only thing on the order was the two Sizing Dies. I backed all the way out Cleared my Cart and tried again with just the two Sizing kits, FEE still there.

The possible Differance is that I am Ordering from Alaska, ( we still have US postal service) and they often freak out about "international Shipping" restrictions. Has happened to me before and it IS an issue when trying to ship honest to god Haz MAt.... IE: aerosol or Say KN03 ( an oxidizer) but I think they got this one wrong. Grafs was absolutely a simple one click afair came fed ex and I am delighted.

Also Semi offended by the last post.... The story as I presented it .. is FACT. maybe not a universal occurance but it is the Actual situation that occured For me. Never having dealt with the lee kits before I was curious if Alox was indeed a hazMat.

Thank you or the included info on your Sizing practices and experiences. I have lightly Sized some and plan on getting them to my "tester" this weekend. I will report back.

Just tried it again, here is the cut and paste EXACT wording from my check out Cart at midway:

We're sorry, but City or State law prohibits us from sending item(s) in your cart to the address you have specified.

* Aerosol containers, solvents and cleaners cannot be shipped by air so these items cannot be sent to your shipping address.
    * UPS shipping restrictions prevent the shipment of ammunition to Alaska and Hawaii

the only item in my cart is the Lee Sizing kit.

Graf's had no such restriction.

in adition when that warning comes up it ads the $32.00 Hazmat charge to to my total.

Boolit Buddy
    I really didn't mean to offend you or any one else with my post, I'm sorry for that, it does read like that.

I also didn't think to ask the rep. at midway about Alaska and Hawaii shippments, sorry about that too

I will call back and ask about hazmat fees on alox deliveries to Alaska and if they admit to it, I'll jump ship on them, until it is stopped.

Once again, I apologize for any offense my post may have conveyed, it was really unintentional, I got pretty ticked at midway when I read the post and I guess I hadn't calmed down to my usual grouchy self before I posted, sorry.

Cutter_spc,
    I have to admit i did not assume it was a personal attack, the only thing that slightly bothered me, was the FACT thing, and it could only be misconstrued if I was realy sensative, It Could seem like you were implying what I stated was not Fact or true. I did not intend this to be a Bash midway thread, I still use them when it is easy to do so. More and more it is not. I also did not clearly STATE that I was In Alaska and that some shipping issue are a little more restrictive than most of you are used to. I also Hate having to call a customer rep to sort something out when i have all ready placed an order on line. Not that I couldn't have It was just another annoyance that i did not feel like dealing with. Technicly if you get to the MSD's I am sure you will find Aloz has mineral spirits in it, or a solvent... so pursuant to the law and taking everything at face value Midway is correct and just CYA. is a $17 sale worth it to risk a multi thousand dollar fine for US mail fraud charges? not if it was MY bussiness. Is it annoying for me? Yeah could it be handled differantly ? yes, is it a big enough issue to get worked up over ? Not so much. I live in Alaska, Starline brass is pissed at me because they advertise free shipping ( or a set charge I forget ) to the Continental US. I merely pointed out they should change it to Contiguous ( as Alaska IS continental ) and instead of conceed the gramatic poin( I was not even trying to get the lower shipping rate I was pointing out that they should CHANGE the add as it was incorrect) I was bombarded with a defensive list of why it cost more to ship to Alaska...... whatever I would still rather live here than anywhere else.

I am not trying to Change your mind or affiliations, Just mostly venting... I was excited to try out the Dang bullets.... and it was one more Road block just felt like griping about it. Now the weather is Below Zero and my shooting has become a lot more ... uhm work and less fun but i still do it. just wont get a chance to report on these Drop dead sexy looking bullets for a few weeks yet

one other thing, instead of having to call midway and ask ... just go put an item in your cart and change your shipping adres to zip code 99705 ( Northpole Alaska, the "county" surrounding Fairbanks one of TWO cities in Alaska over 100,000 also the main shipping hub for interior Alaska ) and see what it tells you

No Harm no foul No hard feelings..

Dan

As a JAFO here its good to see men act like men and treat each other with respect and work things out. Instead of acting like a pair of princesses, just 1 more reason this is the best sight on the web. Good on both of you, yall just made us all look good so thanks guys. Jetwrench
    When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.