Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: School me on reloading for the 300 Whisper/fireball, and Blackout

School me on reloading for the 300 Whisper/fireball, and Blackout

So I've been considering for a long time getting a 30 cal can and doing a 300 Whisper upper. Of course now that the Blackout allows the whisper its looks even more attrative. From what I understand the big difference is the whisper was a wildcat off the 221 case, the Blackout is SAMI offical and high FPS but can still fire the whisper. My guess is is anyone using 223 cases yet and is it using a standard 308 projectile?

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot an 18" Custom barrel on my Contender, 1 in 8 twist. I have both 221 Fireball cases opened to 30 cal. and reformed 223 cases. Not much difference in accuracy with either.

I use the 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at about 2,200 fps for deer and such. Use 314299 sized to .310" with 11grs to 11.5grs of WC680 for about 1,100 fps.
    Have also used the Lee 93gr RN pistol boolit with light loads of 700X for plinking. The Lee 113gr and 120gr both do real well with various powders from very light to mid range loads.
    I also have shot the Sierra 240gr BTHP at subsonic velocities with good results. Takes awhile for this bullet to "settle down" as sometimes the 200 yard groups are the same or smaller than the 100 yard groups.

From what has been posted that I read there is not much difference in the ballistic of the 300 Whisper vs the Blackout.

Thanks for the input Leadman. Whats the best way to form the 223 cases?

My plan is to use this on an AR upper so feeding has me concerned. Any work yet with the heavy lead loads yet? My buddy has a 240 plain base I'd really like to use with a can.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, the Blackout case is .037" longer and a bit larger in neck diameter.
    I use a 7mm tcu die first on the .223 necks and then go to 30 cal. Just trying to find a 20" barrel first. Don't like the short barrels.

Boolit Master

Aaron (82ndairborne) on the forum here owns Delta Company Arms and built me a 20" 300 Blackout AR upper this summer.

www.deltacompanyarms.com

give him a call or an email and you'll probably have a 20" barrel in before you know it.

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce drake; 11-28-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

[QUOTE=rockrat;1480727]IIRC, the Blackout case is .037" longer and a bit larger in neck diameter. QUOTE]

Longer than what? 223?

Boolit Man
    The larger dia. Of the black out neck is for the resulting thicker neck from resizing 223 brass. Sizing up 221 gives a neck with thinner brass, and is what the whisper idea was about.
    That is my understanding.

Matt Hooper

pretty sure the Blackout is Longer than the Whisper..... Either is shorter than the .223
    I think the intent was to keep factory Black out rounds from finding their way into a tight neck whisper chamber.

A little "Light" reading on heavy loads in the blackout whisper et al http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=102895

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry, longer than the 300 whisper made from 221 fireball brass. You can shoot a whisper in a 300blk chamber, but not the reverse, from my understanding.