MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: how to open up a push through sizing die?

Boolit Master

how to open up a push through sizing die?

Hi guys,

I'm finding my cast bullets aren't the ideal size. I tried them as cast and had promising results, but then I added some tin to my alloy (I was close to pure before) and now they are dropping too big.

I have a .454 and .452 lee push through sizer. The as cast are too big, the .454 sized are too big, and the .452 sized slip right through. After lube, they are a little better. They don't slip through, but they don't take much to get them to pass through the cylinder.

I've heard of folks opening up the bullet sizers a smidge to get a better fit. Something like a dowel or rod with some 2500 grit sandpaper wrapped around it, or maybe polishing compound or the like.

I can't remember. Have any of you guys opened up a push through sizer so it was 0.0005" larger?

5/10000th of an inch might could be done with a drill press and a some 600 grit emery cloth.

Way back in the '70s when my steel sizer dies would get scratched I'd use a hand drill that way. Cut a slit into a 2.5" piece of .25" dowel rod and slipped a 1"x.25" piece of the 600 grit stuff into the dowel slot and then chucked the little polisher, stuck it up the die and spun it full tilt. Took those scratches out in short order.

Had to get it spinning so the gritty side swiped the die but those scratches just went away.

Of course a competent machine shop might could help you out too.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 10-26-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Boolit Man
    I have opened up Lee push through, Lyman nd Star dies up to .0015. The Lee are very easy to do. I start with 200 or 320 grit wraped around a dowel, drill rod or long bolt and finish with 600 or 800. I hold the paper on the rod on each side of the die to keep it from rotating and rub the die up and down my leg to get it to rotate around the rod and paper while sitting at my bench. It works for me, your milage may vary.
    coyotebait
    Last edited by coyotebait; 10-26-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ku4hx View Post
    5/10000th of an inch might could be done with a drill press and a some 600 grit emery cloth.

Way back in the '70s when my steel sizer dies would get scratched I'd use a hand drill that way. Cut a slit into a 2.5" piece of .25" dowel rod and slipped a 1"x.25" piece of the 600 grit stuff into the dowel slot and then chucked the little polisher, stuck it up the die and spun it full tilt. Took those scratches out in short order.

Had to get it spinning so the gritty side swiped the die but those scratches just went away.

Of course a competent machine shop might could help you out too.
    It works great. I've opened up a couple with 300 then to 600 to smooth things out. You can easily open up a die 1k-2k with a drill and a dowel...Save a little metal for the 600 grit to smooth it out.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    It works great. I've opened up a couple with 300 then to 600 to smooth things out. You can easily open up a die 1k-2k with a drill and a dowel...Save a little metal for the 600 grit to smooth it out.
    I figured if it worked on a hardened steel case sizing die, it'd work on a push through bullet sizer die. I haven't done it on a bullet sizer die yet, but I have one I do want to make a mite larger.

Thanks for the comment, this will likely be my next Sunday evening project.

Banned

It is easy. Split the rod to stick the paper in and wrap until you have a tight fit. Go slow and check often by sizing until you get what you want.
    Too fine is not needed and 320 wet or dry is good. You can go 400 if you want but it will not cut much, just polish.
    I use 320 cloth that comes in rolls.
    2500 grit can take a week!

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    It is easy. Split the rod to stick the paper in and wrap until you have a tight fit. Go slow and check often by sizing until you get what you want.
    Too fine is not needed and 320 wet or dry is good. You can go 400 if you want but it will not cut much, just polish.
    I use 320 cloth that comes in rolls.
    2500 grit can take a week!
    Just what I needed to know; I want to open a .451" to .452" or thereabouts. Now all I need is some some 320 grit.

I took a Lee .284 out to .3015 in about 45 minutes. That was before I started making my own.
    Last edited by pdawg_shooter; 10-26-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Arrow

Whiterabbit, Take a look at Buckshot's tutorial: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/How...Size%20Die.pdf

Boolit Master

Awesome. Think I can get away with using a power drill and starting with fresh wetsand 400? I have to inventory my paper, but I should have some fresh 320 400 or 600 around. I've got a ton of lightly used material in all those sizes. (used on fiberglass and paint only.)

The reason I ask is that I'm assuming that if 320 and hand rolling is good enough, then a drill and 400 should take equally as long and start me out with finer scratches with less oily or watery mess.

This will be easier than I thought!

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I opened one up .002 last week. I used a 3/8 dowel with a slot cut in the end and a strip of crocus cloth. Took me about 10 minutes with a small drill press. You can find crocus cloth in the plumbing section of any hardware store- it's used to clean copper pipe prior to sweating the joint.

Google is a necro-posts best friend.

I have a Lee .314 90gr LSWC die that I plan on using for .32WCF in both a Colt revolver, and a Model 92.

I plan on powder coating these bullets, making them even larger in diameter.

I'm looking for a .313 finished diameter. I've already got a .311 Lee Sizing die, and was planning on opening it up to .313.

This thread reaffirmed my planned method of accomplishing this, and gave me the bonus information of what grit paper would likely work the best.

Boolit Grand Master

For .0005 enlargement your actually needing only .00025 on a side. for this flannel cloth and a dab of flitz metal polish should bring the original finish up and gain what you want. I do this with a wood dowel split and then low rpms and a fast feed back and forth. Look at the polish lines they should look like figure 8s in the die. crossing over each other at about a 45* angle. Most fresh wet dry papers even 600 will take that .0025 out on a burnished finish pretty quickly.

For this I use a dowel here 3/8 6" long is good split 3-4" from end.
    A piece of soft flannel or cotton cloth as wide as the slot and long enough so when wrapped snug fit a snug fit in the die.
    A small dab of metal polish Flitz, simichrome, or tooth paste rubbed into the cloth
    A hand drill or drill press on low rpms and fast back and forth feed across the cloth.
    work a short time and check.

Another way is to use a few bullets Impregnate with the polish by lightly rolling between to flat plates and push thru die 4 to 5 times then use a fresh bullet checking between each new bullet.

Thank you for that.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i did mine with the wooden dowl split and wet dry sand paper and a little oil opened it up 2 thousands of an inch no problem.

Boolit Grand Master

In this project .002-.003 is easier than the .0005 needed here. the extra gives a little leeway to work up to.

Boolit Buddy
    Its not hard I've done it to multiple sizing dies. I use fiber glass rod cut from one of those reflective flags you see around but any small dowel will work. I prefer fine grit paper as in 800 or 1000 wrapped around your dowel chucked in cordless drill. Roll around on your bench or allow to rotate if stationary. You'll need to polish it a bit at the end to get the original finish. If you dont your bullets will stick when sized because its not smooth enough.
    Make sure you dont over do it or you'll be buying a new sizing die