Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Encore Contender Rifle Stocks

Boolit Master

Encore Contender Rifle Stocks

Has anyone seen a rifle stock set for Encore or Contenders that look even half way attractive in the grip area? I just struggle with the asthetics fof these things. I really like what you can do with the trigger, the balance, the simplicity and safety of these guns, it's just the stocks that get to me.

I know there are design isuues that have to be dealt with, but hell, we put a man on the moon.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

I agree with you 100%......butttt ugly they are....thumb holes are'nt bad....would like to see someone build a spacer between the frame and the stock... thats what it looks like EA Brown did with his 97D rifle...
    www.eabco.com/97ref.html

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

BTW,,it has a matching forend now,,,Gunstocks inc...minor details enhanced.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Have you looked at the Bullberry stocks? I have one I like for the Encore. Bell & Carlson have a "thumbhole" type synthetic stock I have on a original Contender frame. Never liked the factory stocks much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405 encore 1.jpg   contender_carbine_sm.jpg  

Boolit Buddy

How well do you like that Bell &Carlson stock?
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    I agree with you 100%......butttt ugly they are....thumb holes are'nt bad....would like to see someone build a spacer between the frame and the stock... thats what it looks like EA Brown did with his 97D rifle...
    www.eabco.com/97ref.html
    That is much more like it. I wonder what it would take to pull this off with an Encore or Contender. I am not much of a machinist. Seems to me that the first thing that needs to be addressed is a redesign of the way the buttstock is held on.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard57 View Post
    How well do you like that Bell & Carlson stock?
    Jeff
    I like it rather well. Although very light in weight, it is very comfortable to shoot and has noticeably less felt recoil than the factory synthetic. It also works well for lefties. With the 16" .30-30 barrel, it get a fair amount of attention at the range.

I have a gunstocks inc. on my contender carbine, thumbholer, walnut with tiger stripe maple end cap on the fore grip and on the buttcap, am very please with the looks and all.

Rick

Boolit Master
    Seems to me I saw something on Mike Bellm's sight recently on someone who was making stocks for Encores and Contenders. You could just enter his name in your search and look at that sight.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I should have been clearer in my complaint. I am not talking about the grade of wood or synthetics the stocks are made with, I am talking about the god awful shape of the butt stocks.

I think everyone agrees that the stock in question is double butt ugly, I was trying to point out what I did to make mine look better.

Rick

Banned
    I like the way they all look, but then again I can appreciate the lines of an AMC pacer and gremlin...I am beyond hope...

Boolit Master
    I like this, I wonder if it could be done with a T/C.

http://www.eabco.com/images/97d22302.gif

cabezaverde;
    I don't know, but it sure looks better than what T/C has done with stocks. IF I were a stock-maker I would try. I am sure the first thing that would be needed is a "lower tang" which is actually just to apply an ample bottom anchor to hold the stock on. Otherwise the stock would have to be way too thick at the beginning of the wrist. This way, it might be possible to make a stock with no, or a very small, pistol grip.
    PPpastordon
    pastordon.wordpress.com
    "And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Cor. 8:2, NKJV

Boolit Master
    How do you guys shooting the thumbhole stocks like those? Any downsides?