RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable casting myths on other boards

What a maroon!! Someone should give him a link to this thread.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Love Life
    Holy smokes. Obviously the term "Obturate" is a word from the Civil War days, and since the term is so old the spell check wont recognize or correct it.

My self and a few others have tried and tried, but it doesn't elp. We have all been labled trols for the MBC. While I may be trolling I am an independent troll.

I really want to send him a link to here. Not to be bashed, but so he can gain the knowledge needed to kep from hurting himself and others. I can't though because if he came here and pushed the same garbage he would leave crying.
    Last edited by Love Life; 10-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'll bet the actual truth never ever comes out on this.

Boolit Junkie
    Seems odd this guy is praising a company he lives close to. In his profile he says he's from Western,PA. Penn Bullets is about 20 miles NE of Pittsburgh.

This is a post LeadHead made on March 29th.

"Those of you reloading lead ammunition might consider Penn Bullets whose prices I find real good and the bullets even better. I tried Missouri Bullets but got tired of scraping lead out of my barrels, I've literally spent as much as an hour trying to remove lead with their bullets, the leading is horrible. Penn Bullets leaves my barrel just about as clean as shooting jacketed."

I bought bullets from Missouri Bullets (45 ACP) before I started casting and thought they were too hard.

These are just my observations and should in no way reflect on Missouri Bullets or Penn Bullets in any way. I'm sure they are both fine companies.

Boolit Master

I just finished reading the entire thread over there. I find it hard to believe that he has 40 years experience reloading. His responses are more like a 2 yr old's.

I don't have 40 years experience. Regarding cast boolets, about 50% of what I know I learned here and the other 50% from all the mistakes I made. I suspect that any future knowledge will follow that same trend.

I have one of those Lee 4 die sets for .38 Special. I was lazy and wanted to try out a "new" handgun, a S&W model 65. I cast up a bunch of wadcutters in a H&G mold. Since I didn't want to bother setting up the sizer, I just tumbled them in LLA/JPW and seated them. Naturally, they didn't chamber. I ran them through the FCD. Naturally, they then chambered easily. I could see the size mark on the brass. Luckily about a 100 rounds didn't lead too badly but I did have to clean it out.

I guess I don't have a claim on the supplier since it was my WW alloy and my casting procedure that caused the leading. Not to mention my use of the FCD. I person would have to be super stupid, ignorant, whatever not to know that something got sized when the cartridges would now chamber. The chambers didn't get bigger.

Thanks to all who have contributed to my education. Too bad LeadHead can't take advantage of the same education.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I read it all . My fun for this evening - there's somebody out there that knows less than me - finally ! Please , nobody direct him here - but invite some of guys in the thread over that ain't already here. I may check back to see if the hardness ever gets posted...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shovel80 View Post
    I'm Very New too Casting and also shooting BPCR...but, from all the reading I've done...I've see some say that if a bullet is too Small...and doesn't seal the bore....some of the Flame can come around the bullet and cause More Leading...
    I don't know for sure how...but, maybe from melting the lead on the sides??

Terry
    That's correct Terry, at least that is the theory and it has seemed to prove out in my experience. The worst leading I've had in a barrel was with very hard commercially cast bullets loaded to about 800 fps. The bullets were definitely undersized for my gun. Also these same bullets had a hard lube on them. I'd guess that both things worked together to make a horrendous mess in my gun. You'll see a lot of guys repeat the phrase "FIT is king" for good reason.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    I read it all . My fun for this evening - there's somebody out there that knows less than me - finally ! Please , nobody direct him here - but invite some of guys in the thread over that ain't already here. I may check back to see if the hardness ever gets posted...
    One for sure is here, still reading. I for one NEVER invite unless it's a knoledgable "range rat" or experianced reloader. BP or otherwise. The PTB's (Powers That Be) have enough on their hands( Moded a number of boards) w/o the influx of new members or (If ratings are high enough) psychophants. Never invite w/o a check. If you think a poster on another board deserves an invite, look back a bit and vet him. Please don't just post a link to a slice of heaven. Then PM a mod with paticulars let them make the call.

My .02
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by cephas53 View Post
    "I want to hear the story about how a bullet that is too small for the barrel is the cause of excessive leading; that should be a good one. Too small = less friction = more leading...yea right."
    If you would like to take a stab at opening his eyes a little, you might try asking him a simple question like this one -

If a looser boolit to barrel fit isn't more likely cause leading, then why does my barrel lead in the grooves & not on the lands?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    ooo ooo ooo pick me!

I'm sure I have some doozies!

Here's one

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...66&postcount=1

Darrell,
    That's funny, I would be too embarrassed to go back and look at mine. Since a lot of us get our gas checks from you, I guess you figured out that whole gas check thingy.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master
    Exactly what I was thinking Jim. Maybe he buys so many checks because he still has difficulty seating them? Takes lots of practice for some?

This guy is making a fool of himself. He know what answer he wants and that is all he is going to listen to. I just wonder why people are so quick to demonstrate how dumb they are?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post

That is great! We should just continue this thread on that subject. We are giving that dumby way too much time and attention.
    I was going to post my first one, but the history doesn't go back that far!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

From the forum:

I'll post the Brinell results when I get them; till then, sit tight and know I'm not even going to waste my time reading the witch hunt, speculation garbage blaming soft bullets on my loading skills.I'm not going to entertain any more witch hunts here; I'll get back to you with the lab report on the actual Brinell of the bullets.

None of you were present when these events happened, therefore none of you know what you're talking about; you're just speculating and beating me up in ignorance. If my successful reloading for the last 40 years, never having this kind of problem isn't cause enough to understand this isn't an issue that resulted from my loading mistake, then nothing will convince you so I'll just let you say what you want understand you don't know what you';re talking about.

You will notice that we are dealing with Einstein himself. Shame on you all.... Hraummmfh!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Thanks to cephas53, that was very entertaining. It absolutely wore me out. Nothing like being right the first time, and sticking to it.
    I'm a second amendment Guy but "Bonehead"..... I mean Leadhead should not be allowed to own a firearm that shoots anything but factory ammo. Too many mistakes to correct. He's a Troll or an Idiot or both.

Very entertaining,...eagerly awaiting the "lab report".

Best, Rick
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

Boolit Master

I don't care to register there to subscribe to the thread to hear if the results actually get posted. If someone could post the results here I would appreciate it.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Oh , and I loved the part where he was going to "mic" the inside of his die, and the shipment of
    equipment his friend was getting, that measured anything!

He should go in and have the "softness" of his head measured!

What a Hoot!!
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

well I just read the thread in the other forum.....I got to page 5 and started to wonder why nobody was backing him in his um "issue". so i called my wife into the room and showed her the pics...those are to squished....was her reply. she only knows the basics but picked that up right away. hmmmmm. oh well i'll stick with cast boolits and the sound advice here and move on. learn something new every day and you will be richer for it. Lively Boy

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by shovel80 View Post
    I'm Very New too Casting and also shooting BPCR...but, from all the reading I've done...I've see some say that if a bullet is too Small...and doesn't seal the bore....some of the Flame can come around the bullet and cause More Leading...
    I don't know for sure how...but, maybe from melting the lead on the sides??

Terry
    There isn't time for the heat transfer to actually melt the lead, even at 600 fps there isn't time. Basically what you are dealing with is pressure. The pressure can get past the seal of the base against the barrel and it errodes the lead, like spraying a hose along a mud bank, the pressure carries the lead alloy away as spray which get's deposited on your barrel as it slows, just as the mud flies all over and lands everywhere. It's pretty simple if you think about it like it's hydraulics- leave a hole and the fluid (pressure) will run along that escape path even though the piston (boolit) is moving. As it move it tears (errodes) the seals more and more. Works pretty much like that. So the more space there is for the gasses to run up the side of the boolit, the more damage to the boolit and the more potential for leading. An undersize boolit does not make leading certain, but the harder you push the more likely it becomes. As with any piston, proper fit results in a better, more efficient end product.

In Remebrance

That guys mind is made up. There is no other alternative. We've seen that here on numerous occasions with various members (me included) making a rather obvious spectacle of their ignorance. In all but a very, very few cases our guys have had the light come on and almost unanimously apologized or recognized their blunder and were quickly forgiven and forgotten. I wonder if that fellow will ever realize he's compounding error after error after error? I kinda doubt it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    It is rather amusing....too bad he takes himself soooooo veddy, veddy seriously.

There's a wonderful "Freudian slip" on that Board. Clicking on the gent's "handle" brings-up his profile, which doesn't have much data. However, there's a small, bright-green segmented bar in his profile area. I clicked on that bar out of curiosity, and up popped a notation (this is PRICELESS).

It said, "Leadhead's reputation is BEYOND REPUTE"!!!!!!!!! (My capital letters).

Words fail me, just as they seem to have failed those running that Board. Could they have meant "....beyond reproach"???
    Priceless indeed.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast