Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable casting myths on other boards

Unbelievable casting myths on other boards

"I want to hear the story about how a bullet that is too small for the barrel is the cause of excessive leading; that should be a good one. Too small = less friction = more leading...yea right."

Have never been a big poster on any board, as my count here shows, but every once in awhile I come out to see if my shadow is there and post. Would of put this in the humor section but sadly the guy is serious and stuck in his opinions. Thanks for all the good info here and suggestions to do this deal right.

If you have some time and care to check this thread out: http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...optimized.html

Actually though overall it is a good group, met some very nice members this weekend.
    Question, what's the most outrageous casting myth you've seen?
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

In Remebrance

The OP in that thread is a knot head, pure and simple. He isn't even able to grasp the simplest of differences in cast and jacketed and the mechanics of loading. What's more,. his anger and ego are blocking any chance he'll listen to reason. I lost the patience to discuss anything with people like that long, long ago.

Boolit Master

My favorite is the oft repeated myth that you can't shoot lead faster than 1000 f.p.s.
    According to these exspurts, if you do it will lead your barrel.

As far as the OP in the thread you linked, that proves that idiots are a dime a dozen.
    Last edited by Matt_G; 10-23-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: grammer
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus

Wow what a comedy of errors. Seems to me the only one they missed is that wheel weights will wear out your barrel.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Moderator Emeritus

I couldn't read the whole thing, the guy is an idiot plain and simple. I saw all I needed to see on page one.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Bub
    Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    I have heard the one about wheel weights being "dirty" and wearing out your barrel.

How about paper patched bullets wear out the rifling because the paper is too abrasive.

Don

Wow---that's really all I can say. By the first page I wanted to slap the snot out of the OP. I'm so tempted to register just for the purpose of calling him an arrogant moron and calling him out on it--but it would be the shortest-lived membership in that board's history... Some people shouldn't be allowed to have a loaded stapler.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Grand Master
    I love the "I have 40 years of experience" so it can't be me!
    He has absolutely no clue about shooting cast but I bet he is the range expert on them.
    what a maroon.

Boolit Master

You can't cure STUPID......

Man I couldn't even read the whole thread. Knothead is being nice.....
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

If I read everything correctly the OP claims to have forty years of experience in reloading. If that is so then he has not learned anything in that time, and is incapable of learning any concept that is new to him. The other question is how do you claim that you know that there is a problem and continue to reload all those rounds of ammunition with that same problem? The first few rounds that came out of my machine looking like that would have caused me to stop immediately. I would have checked all my settings before proceeding any further.
    He just needs to bulk order jacketed bullets. On second thought he should just sell all his equipment and buy a set of golf clubs.
    Last edited by Leadforbrains; 10-23-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Grand Master

My last post in that thread was #19: "You sir, should educate yourself a bit before you embarrass yourself further."

Unfortunately, he didn't see that advice as worth taking...

Yep you sure couldnt seem to get the point across to that guy,I tried I'm "Tim Ault "on that board and replied a couple times and just gave up hope on him. All his excuses such as The lead was too soft, not enough lube,and as you posted How can an undersized bullet lead the barrel ???????I could have cared less about the guy but what burned my butt was how he was trying to ruin the reputation and business of a well known company filing a BBB report and notifying the FTC because he squeezed the **** out of those bullets when he crimped them not once but twice. What a bone head!

I liked the offer for the "loobe grooves" you made to him ! just saw that this AM And I though the OP was gonna shut his pie hole till he got the hardness readings from his"expert"????

As I'm not expert can a accurate hardness reading be taken since he deformed all the bullets from their as cast state when he seated /squeezed and pulled them ?
    Last edited by RU shooter; 10-23-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

I had to go back and read the whole thing, all I saw was him throwing hissy fit after hissy fit. If you don't agree with his wrong ideas on what's happening, YOU are wrong, not him. So far it appears the entire cast boolit world is wrong, and he alone is right. This confirms my original assessment:

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    ... the guy is an idiot plain and simple. I saw all I needed to see on page one.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

He needs to take the Lead out of his handle on that forum. He is giving Lead a bad name.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

It should hurt to be that dumb!!! Clint

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    And I though the OP was gonna shut his pie hole till he got the hardness readings from his"expert"????

As I'm not expert can a accurate hardness reading be taken since he deformed all the bullets from their as cast state when he seated /squeezed and pulled them ?
    The test will have to file for a flat anyway.

And it doesn't really matter because no matter what the hardness test comes back as, those bullets are obviously play doh and soft as butter. Didn't you see the pictures?

Boolit Master
    He never mentions his casting experience. That's why it's so easy for him to argue: He's not burdened with knowledge or experience.
    For what it's worth, though, everyone else tried to set him straight.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

It was overall a good thread. Most of the responses could have been from here and were informed, with several links to threads on this site. The fact the OP made no sense, at all, ever, is frustrating. I don't think he ever posted the actual BHN of the bullets either... wonder why.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

Angry

I'm speechless. Operator headspace and timing are way off with that cat. Bet it was his first rodeo with cast. 40 years of loading j-words with max charges proly.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast