MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: In praise of the CH "444"

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

In praise of the CH "444"

I had about 700 .45 acp cases staring me in the face, along with a couple large tubs of boolits.....and I REALLY wanted to get started loading. I have a Dillon 550, but no conversion kit or powder measure and setting it up would set me back about $150....that leaves my Rock Chucker............

Then I remember the press I got in trade some time ago, a CH 4 station (I think it's called the Pistol Champ or 444). I got it bolted down, oiled it up, installed four shell holders and the dies and began carefully going through what I believe to be the correct steps.

Station 1, rear, between the pillars........size and deprime, Lee carbide die
    Station 2, left front, bell mouth and reprime, RCBS die
    Charge powder
    Station 3, center, seat boolit, RCBS die
    Station 4, crimp with Lee die

Even with fumbling and the learning curve, I was loading about 10 rds. in five minutes on an unfamiliar press and I KNOW it can be speeded up quite a bit. It's no progressive like my Dillon, but it sure beats swinging the handle on a single stage for hours. At least I get to see a completed round come out of that last station.

No real point to my post except to admire good engineering. I like it!

Banned

the a shellplate from the dillon will fit the acp same as the 30-06,308,x57 shell head.
    i mix and match shell plates and powder funnels to create new ones i need.
    like flipping over my 45 colt plate for the 45ar case, and back again for my 44-40 with the 44 mag/special powder funnel.
    and the 9mm plate and 30 carbine funnel for my 25-20/32-20 with a flair on the case mouth.
    sometimes you gotta test fit some buttons etc, but using a shell holder chart and some thinking will set you up for a lot of calibers with a small outlay.

Boolit Master

You're right of course, and that's good thinking. Unfortunately, my Dillon plates are for 9mm, 38 spec./357 mag, .223, etc...nothing that will work with the Mauser family of rifle cases or the .45 acp. It's good advice though and I'll try it next time I want to load another caliber.

I was rubbing my hands together with glee over an insurance benefit and plans to buy everything I needed. Of course, that fell through and I was back to square one which is why I hauled out the CH. My mother told me never to count my chickens........and she was right!

Boolit Master

It is a very good press for loading small batches in a short period of time.

I also like mine because it is compact, really strong (all-steel), and sets on-top of the bench rather than hanging down and getting in my way.

Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

I've got one of those, been using it for a long time. A really great tool.

God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I love mine as well but mine is cast aluminum. Is that normal?

House yes they've been made from aluminum for some time and they're fine.

I use mine to load all my Centerfire cartridges except .40S&W and .45 ACP which I have Dillon SDB's for.

I break down cases IE: full length size and deprine on my Rockchucker, trim as necessary, then into the tumbler.

Then prime with RCB hand primer.

Then to the C&H. I use the left station for case bell and powder drop, center for bullet seat and right for Crimp.

I do all of my rifle loading like this, and my .44's for either rifle or pistol too. On the .44's I use the center rear station to size and deprime, and the C&H powder measure mounted above the left expander/charging die..

I also have an adapter to mount my RCBS powder measure above the charging die, and it works fine with fine grained powder. I have to weigh charges and dump them in the funnel for stick powders (until my Lyman DPS gets here)

I don't use the C&H to full length size rifle brass as the mechanical advantage is not as high as the Rockchucker. It would do it, but it just takes more effort, and since it is just one operation I use the Rock Chuck.

Dave claims 200 rnds per hour for this machine and it is entirely possible, once you get the rythym down.

Excellent tool and everyone should have one. I think it is faster than using a turret style press. The only style manual style press that is faster is one of the PW presses that move the case on a arm between dies whcih is slightly faster than moving the case to a different holder under another die.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I really like mine but somtimes when seating in the middle front and applyng a heavy crimp at the same time i noticed a slight difference in bullet seating depth. Was getting a little spring action in the top plate.
    Seeing as though i size and expand and the hand prime and charge i moved the seating die to moddle back and left the crimp die in it orginal position. I size at the left station and expand at the middle front. Cured the spring action and actually seats bullets a lot easier. Cannot tell any diffrence in the sizing and expanding operation at all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dwight hardy View Post
    I really like mine but somtimes when seating in the middle front and applyng a heavy crimp at the same time i noticed a slight difference in bullet seating depth. Was getting a little spring action in the top plate.
    Seeing as though i size and expand and the hand prime and charge i moved the seating die to moddle back and left the crimp die in it orginal position. I size at the left station and expand at the middle front. Cured the spring action and actually seats bullets a lot easier. Cannot tell any diffrence in the sizing and expanding operation at all.
    That's suprising, given the stout construction of that top plate. What caliber were you reloading?

I initially had problems with the crimp on my .45 acp, which turned out to be the RCBS seat/crimp die. It's supposed to give a slight taper crimp, or if adjusted deeper a roll crimp for revolvers. At some point an ex wife, who shall remain nameless, took my original dies and I had to find another set...used. I expected the same performance, but no matter how I adjusted it, no taper until a heavy roll crimp actually expanded (buckled) the case, which wouldn't chamber. Frustrating. After ruining several cases, I bought the Lee Factory Crimp die and began using separate seating/crimping operations. It works beautifully and I expect better performance with my loads.

The 444 gave me the flexibility to change operations around until I was successful. Good press!

Boolit Master
    I am loading 357,44 amg and 454.