MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elcheapo lee turret press-excellent

Boolit Master

elcheapo lee turret press-excellent

I have used a rcbs rockchucker as a main press for years. Finally bought a lee 3 hole manual turret press to speed things up a bit.. Now I size and bell- hand prime-then seat and crimp.. I cannot believe how much faster this process is. Works great as I load for so many calibers and a full progressive press would be hard to change for all of them.. I wish I had a turret press years ago.

Le Loup Solitaire

Lee 3-holer turret

I don't know what a good looking reloading press really ought to look like, but who cares...it is what what it does and how well it does it that counts. I have a had a Lee three holer for many years now and it is one fairly ugly contraption, But it has on more than one occasion made every other press (and I have 9 others) seem obsolete in terms of speed, performance and overall versatility. The plastic ratchets last a very long time if you keep them and the indexing tuned/adjusted properly. I keep the turrets and ram greased as well as the linkages and the press as a semi-progressive just keeps cranking rounds out like the battery bunny. I run it as a left-hander and use the empty hole in the turret head as a hookup for a threaded rod that holds a small aluminum platform for a mounted powder measure. It is used mainly for pistol ammo and I have nine turrets set up. It will do rifle and full length resize anything. Handle configurations are infinite in addition to the left-right option. And you know that a caliber change takes only a few seconds exclusive of possibly having to change the powder setup. My only complaint was the primers filling up the base cavity and that can be solved by either drilling a hole in the bench underneath and hooking up an empty cat food/tuna can under the hole or else just doing the resizing/decapping on a different/separate press to start with. The empty hole in the turret then can be used for the taper crimp die often needed in some pistol calibers. It can put out a good, decent hourly rate without "slam dunking" the press and its definitely a good value/reasonably priced buy. After a decade+ of use nothing's worn out. LLS

amazing that cheap works so well huh ? :P ummm i'm really loving the 4 hole classic cast turret as well ( perhaps even better )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Drill the right sized hole for a tight fitting garden hose under the press and your all set.
    Aim the hose to any empty container and your laughing.
    Woked that way for me!
    Another mod I did to the ram was to turn it 90deg and drill a hole thru the base of it for the ram crosspin.
    Now the primer's hit the side of the press and go down where their suppose to go.
    I use my turret for rifle only,and have never used the auto index feature.

In Remembrance

The 3 hole was a good tool. The 4 hole classic cast is much better.

They didn't have the 4 hole 20 year's ago.
    All my die's were ste up then,and it would cost a small fortune to switch them over.

Boolit Master

"ELCHEAPO" Didn't realize that Lee moved its operation to Old Mexico!
    Jon

Yes, the turret presses are pretty awesome. I started out reloading on one that my dad had bought several years before I was old enough to reload. He let me help him with the reloading when I was about 10 yrs old and was reloading all my own shells by the time I was 14. I "inherited" that turret press when I moved out of the house and had used it for nearly 30 years before it grew feet and walked out of the storage shed. I had used it to reload well over an estimated 35000 rounds of ammo, mostly .38s, .357s, and .223. I had even broke the pot aluminum handle on it once trying to resize some range pickup '06 brass. A call to customer service at Lee got a new one on the way to me at no charge. (I had even told them what happened and how old it was!). My cousin ended up repairing the broken handle for me by welding (or brazing or soldering or whatever it is called) it back together and reinforcing it.

I am on my second turret press now, another 3-holer, and it continues to do everything I ask it to do. I don't do rifle calibers any larger than .308 or .30-30 since I picked up a couple single stage presses real cheap at a yard sale.

I have never had it set up to auto rotate (I don't think the option was even available on them in the early years), and I also use a hand primer for everything. I just use it as a single stage press to batch reload everything.

I don't have any complaints about them.

Boolit Master
    I didn't mean anything bad about the elcheapo remark. In fact it was kind of a positive remark on how a less expensive pc of equipment can work so well. As a old school machinist it amazes me how they can design-manufacture tools and then sell them for very reasonable prices. $20 for a bullet mold? That is fantastic..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arjacobson View Post
    I didn't mean anything bad about the elcheapo remark. In fact it was kind of a positive remark on how a less expensive pc of equipment can work so well. As a old school machinist it amazes me how they can design-manufacture tools and then sell them for very reasonable prices. $20 for a bullet mold? That is fantastic..
    I was only joking. I don't think anyone took the elcheapo comment out of context.

My first progressive was a Load Master (Ma'ster de Loador) It served me well for a number of years and with proper maintenance, made nice ammo. I used it for 38's, 9mm, and 40 S&W. I did eventually sell it to "upgrade", but for the budget savy reloader, Lee makes good stuff that works.
    PS: I still use the Lee 6 cavity molds...really like them. I have a 9mm mold that has cranked out over 25,000 bullets, and is still going strong...and for the price, the molds pay for themselves within the first couple thousand bullets (compared to buying commerical bullets).
    Jon

Boolit Grand Master

Zuke, good tip, I'll have to give it a try. Someone here gave a tip of putting a straw in the channel and that helped allot but still get 10% of the primmers on the floor. I got an "Elcheapo Lee 3 hole Turret" about 6 or 7 years ago used and it now gets 95 % of my work. I use it in the single action mode also but saves time on turning dies in and out all the time. I don't get to shoot enough to need a progressive but it's faster than a single stage.
    Aim small, miss small!

If you like "El Cheapo", try a Redding turret some day and you will turn back flips of joy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    If you like "El Cheapo", try a Redding turret some day and you will turn back flips of joy.
    Were talking about quality tool's here,sorry your confused...

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Owned a Redding press, used it and a Lyman Tmag I had for several years. Got a Lee Classic Turret. A month or so later, sold the Redding and the Lyman, realizing they were obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by arjacobson View Post
    I have used a rcbs rockchucker as a main press for years. Finally bought a lee 3 hole manual turret press to speed things up a bit.. Now I size and bell- hand prime-then seat and crimp.. I cannot believe how much faster this process is. Works great as I load for so many calibers and a full progressive press would be hard to change for all of them.. I wish I had a turret press years ago.
    We were talking about a fellow being happy with a Lee turret press. If that makes him happy, then a Redding will make him happier. I don't think I was confused, in fact I thought I was dead on.

I have had both the Lee and Redding turret presses. I know which one made me happier!!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't have the Lee but I sure like my Redding turret. Use it in place of the old RCBS, nice to be able to leave dies set for stuff I load frequently.

I use the Redding turret for all my handgun ammo. I use an RCBS A2 for rifle ammo.

Boolit Master
    I have a Redding Turret and a Lee three holer among others (RCBS). For certain things I prefer the Redding, mainly loading blackpowder rifle, as it will hold all the dies I need. With two turrets I take care of most of my rifle requirements. However each turret is now about $50 and changing turrets isn't just a simple snap out and in like the Lee. It isn't difficult but it is not nearly as convenient. For anything that needs a moderate volume production (mostly pistol and some .223) give me the Lee any day. It works far faster than the Redding. If I had to give up a press or could only have one press I would probably have to shift to the Lee Classic turret. I like the Redding but the Lee turret system is far more versatile and the press costs about the same as just two turrets for the Redding.

Jerry Liles

I bought one of the early 3 hole Lee turrets about 1982 or so. It has so much slop in the fit of the turrent to the press and flex in the press itself, that it was impossible to hold 30-06 round to precise match tolerances. I gave it away.

Folks tell me the later Lee turrets are more sturdy. I don't know, as the old saying goes.."Once burned, twice shy."

I am still using some tools I started with in 1958, so the cost is down to almost nothing. I don't consider the cost of high quality equipment to be an obstacle. I have never money to burn or throw away and equipment that needs to be replaced or fixed in not my idea of a good investment. I want tools I can take out of the box and use for decades without tweaking, fixing, or breaking, and then pass them on to a newer generation of shooters. I have four presses bolted to my bench and they are all over 50 years old except the Redding turrent which was purchased in 12 years ago.

People have different needs, ideas and notions about everything in life, including reloading tools. Everybody gets to do it their way and I am not bothered by folks who do it different. The above is just my weird way of looking at the subject at hand.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 10-16-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't ever change out turrets. I leave the dies I use most in the turret and only keep 1 hole empty for that special need. It isn't that hard to readjust the dies should the need arise to remove them.
    As for speed, a turret isn't the way to go. Get a progressive.
    The advantage to a turret is the ability to leave the sizer set the way you want and be able to do other things with the press. No more, no less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast