Well you live and you learn!!
A wile back I bought 300LBS of this pink/ purple alloy from a scrap yard. it was in a pile with some ww and a small ammount of type.
The bang test showed it to be quite hard. It was cast up in RCBS ingots. So I bought it.
When melted it had a FROTH top on it . Flux would not disolve it , so I scooped it off and droped it in the dross can. Quite a lot of it in fact.
I figured it was a babbit alloy of some kind about bhn 22-25 ish.
Well last night I was re reading my Lyman cast bullet hand book.
I read about mixing Antimonial and Calcium alloys,intermetallic compounds, and stibine gas. Words like fatal, mixed with PPM, and unsuspecting bullet caster, lumpy texture!!
So I thought............. Thats what I have got!!! (RIP)
When I got off from work I went home and cleaned out my pot, Threw away my sized bullets, my dross can , spoon and any splatter I could find!!
Wile doing this I was melting down 100 LBS of "type" (single letters big and small) I had bought 100 lbs of it a wile back and a BIG pot. This will be my new alloy. NOTE: I had never melted type before.
When it finaly melted it was Very frothy on the top, Kinda purple/ pinkish!
A wile back Loyd sugested my unknown alloy was monotype. I think he was right! Willbird also sugested that the stuff I was throwing (about 10 lbs to date) away was tin. I think he was right also.
Oh lookie , I am an IDIOT!!!!!
I have questions on casting with this alloy but will start a new thread on it.
...........BUCK