Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rhineland 45 ACP Kit

Well the large ring stock was free for the asking and will require only relocating the front action screw. Minor amount of relief needs to be cut under the tang and I will have to make a new (thinner) recoil cross bolt. As near as I can tell there will be only mild gaps at the front of the action. For what it is and for the money I have into it, it will be fine. I know my children are very excited for its completion.

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there. Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

Ray a gray laminate stock would look cool! and,,,

OK guys: you hooked me, and today I found a Large ring/Small ring Mauser action,,, I think it is a Spanish Mauser model for $75. Gonna pick it up from the guy's house later this week

It has the large ring of the M98 but uses small ring barrel threads. I'll relay more info when I actually get the thing in hand.

My plan is to do Mannlicher style sporter carbine. With iron sights IE Lyman rear and blade front with maybe a tritium insert. You really do need night sights on a proper Can Gun

Exactly what I need,,,, another project, but I couldn't pass up the action for $75! I think this will make a real fun gun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I was going to throw this in a 'Boyd's Pepper Laminate" but the shipping to Alaska Doubles the price of the stock ... so we will have to make do with hand me downs.

Boolit Master
    i went and pick my rifle up today, now i have to save up for the kit. this thing should make a nice rifle.

Boolit Master

I am going crazy, can not locate any 93 bottom metal. What I have is perfect and has a nice blue so I can not bring myself to "alter" it.

I figure any decent bottom metal will work and once in the stock, who will know about some minor pitting.

If you hear of any let me know.

Going to GPC and Sarco if I can not find anything
    Last edited by TCLouis; 12-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Wuuf: have a look at Richards Microfit Gunstocks in ,,, I beleive Sunland or Pacioma CA. They have everything Boyds does and more, and for alot less.

Shipping to AK shouldn't be more than $20 from CA.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Ok guys,,, I picked up my action today. Not bad for $75! It is a Turkish Mauser. The guy kept telling me it was a Spanish Mauser but I don't think so, as it has a moon with star insignia on the front ring along with the word ANK (moon) ARA, and since Ankara is a town in Turkey, I'm inclined to go with that assumption, and anyone can feel free to chime in with other opinions.

It is a Large ring 98 mauser with Small Ring barrel threads and I know that this is a trait of the Turkish Mausers.

It looked like it had been reblued in the poor light, but when I got home there was a bunch of black stuff on my hands. When I sprayed it with brake cleaner the paint started coming off. So I wire brushed it a little more.

Unfortunately I did not take before pics, but you can still see what it looked like with most of the paint on it.

It has a few small pits on the front ring but aside from that it is pretty clean, and will clean up even better when I bead blast it.

I can't live with paint in the bolt races, It just makes the bolt too sticky.

I went after the bolt with my Scotchbrite Fuzz Wheel and shined it up.. It has a few pitts here and there but nothing that won't cover up with a good grit blast and maybe some rust blue.

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do for finish on this one yet. I have to get into it a little deeper. I have Duracoat I could shoot on it and I have access to platers that would do a variety of finishes as "Samples" to me for free, kind of like what I did on my RGS77 bolt. Or I could parkerize it in the shop or ???.

I do know this will be a fun project that won't take forever to complete and should yeild a good shooting and real fun gun in the end. And it could come in handy during the upcoming insurgency, or Zombie Apocalypse

I have a Mannlicher style sporter in mind with a Lyman sight on the back and some kind of cool blade on the front, and maybe a gray laminate full length stock. It will defiantely have a side mounted sling similar to a Swede Carbine.

Here's some pics of the score.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.

I was just looking at Richards's Microfit Gunstocks,, wedsite

http://rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

They have stocks made from just about anything you could possibly want starting at $79.95 for a stock that would be completely appropriate for one of these guns.

They have inletting that is 99% press fit for just about any action known to man.

I am seriously looking at a gray laminate stock or possibly another color for this .45 ACP project. At $80 I don't think you can go wrong and these guys can do just about anything you can think of

I also have been looking at them for my Springfield 03A3 project that is only missing the stock and the bolt alteration.

This could be a good solution for us not wanting to spend and arm and leg to complete this project and yet end up with something other than a cut down military stock.

My project will have $75 + 160 + 80 + misc small stuff added. $315 total. not bad for a custom gun nowadays.

Randy

Only trouble is, if I want it in the next two months, shipping to me is over 40 bucks. I will likely have a boyds grey laminate ($69) but it will go slow boat.

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there. Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

Randy

That Turk is in alot better shape than my FN! A classic K.Kale Turk - no doubt.

My FN is still sitting here next to me at the computer. No kit from Rhineland yet.

Meanwhile, I was out in Alladins Cave earlier and came across a Large Ring Mauser barrel that is brand new. I remember getting a good deal on it years ago. I suppose it is in 8MM. So, theoretically, I could barrel this FN back up in 8MM as original.

Best regards,

Ray

Yeah: I get the shipping problem. I live about 60 miles from this outfit so I can just drive there and pick it up. It's just $40 to Alaska seems like alot.

They advertise 6-8 weeks but I don't think they are that busy. Most all of thier stocks are shaped on the outside and then they just pull one and put it on the machine and do the inletting to order.

Randy

Shipping is the 6-8 week part for me..... Parcel post is only like $8-$10 bucks, but will literally take two months. Anything faster is like $40 bucks plus. I do believe that I will eventually end up with one anyway.

Boolit Man
    I have been thinking about this project for about a year now. I had the idea about 45 ACP when I built my VZ-24 up in 308 Winchester. I just wasn't sure how to feed it, i seen this kit about 30 days ago and seen the 1911 magazine and the adapter block. problem solved. I went on the hunt for 93,95 or 96 action, around here they are scares but lucked out and found a 1943 Turkish Mauser ( left side of the action is stamped Gew 98) for $97 and it followed me home. I got it out of the stock and was surprised to find no rust or pits, we got the barrel threaded off Sunday and it large ring with large ring threads, I hope to order my kit just after Christmas.

my project is to get the military step barrel and reuse the stock and sights. I have everything off the old barrel rear and front sights. my concerns are with sights I don't think what was on the front of my 8 mm Turkish barrel will fit on new barrel. what are the rest of you doing for the front sight???

another question is really bugging me, how are these for accuracy? 25 yards,50 yards, 75 yards, 100 yards.

how many of you are scoping your actions?

As far as sights go, ...I ain't got that far yet. The military mauser rear sight I have fits like the front step of my barrel and will give me about a 4" sight radius and will be so far forward if will look like a scout wannabe. I do not want a scope on this, what I would like is receiver mounted peep. Have not looked into it yet, but I will post when I get that far.

Boolit Master

Found my action today. Mine is a Spanish 7x57 that was sporterized. The stock is actually in decent shape and something I think I can use, but it's poorly fitted to the action. Got it out the door at the pawn shop for $100, so I think I did ok.

The metal looks to have been painted at some point, but it looks to be pretty clean. Will have to figure out which ring/thread size I need now.

I'll take pics and share here as I get into it. Not sure how soon that will be yet. I plan to send the barrel off to be threaded on the business end before I do anything else, just in case...

It's good to live in a free state!

What are you guys using for a receiver wrench?
    Last edited by crawfobj; 12-19-2011 at 07:23 PM.

I removed the paint from mine tonite. I don't know exactly what kind of stuff it was, I thought the guy said it was Duracoat, however brake cleaner dissolves it instantly. Even so I took it completely apart and grit blasted it and I must say that the deep down stuff didn't just come right off. I had to go after it several times to get it in the white.

I found out that the hedspace had been closed up by the paint as they had painted all the way into the locking lug races inside the front receiver ring. The bolt was hard to close,,, but it isn't anymore! It slides easily and rotates into battery just like it should.

I was surprised to find that there were very few pits in the metal, just some small ones below the stock line and the only noticable ones are on the top of the front ring and the front face. The ones on the top I will grind out, I'll probably just leave the others.

This thing is a good candidate for some kind of black phosphate finish.

Here's pics.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    As far as sights go, ...I ain't got that far yet. The military mauser rear sight I have fits like the front step of my barrel and will give me about a 4" sight radius and will be so far forward if will look like a scout wannabe. I do not want a scope on this, what I would like is receiver mounted peep. Have not looked into it yet, but I will post when I get that far.

I had a peep on my 308 sporterized Mauser for a while and ended up putting a scope on it. I might go back and find it and set it up on this one but I had hopes of putting the old rear military sight back on the new barrel in a attempt to keep the military carbine look. the front sight I took off the old barrel I don't think will fit on the replacement barrel.

hey how long does the Rhineland people take to ship stuff out from the time of order. 1 week 2 weeks I am trying to time thing to arrive for some of my time off from work

I e-mailed them before hand a couple.of times and they were always very prompt. Mine went in the mail the next day after I pay-pal'd it. (I was sure the one I needed was in stock first though)

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy :

I was just looking at Richards's Microfit Gunstocks,, wedsite

http://rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

They have stocks made from just about anything you could possibly want starting at $79.95 for a stock that would be completely appropriate for one of these guns.

Randy, if time is a concern, be aware that these people are unbelievably slow. My friend ordered a stock and has been waiting on the stock for 3 months now and he still doesn't have the stock.

Ben: I heard that from another source locally yesterday. I would actually go there and push the hell out of them. If they can't deliver in 2 weeks there is something wrong, I would find out whats wrong first. In fact I need to call that guy back, we got cut off just when I was finding out where that place actually is in Sunland CA. Not a good part of town for sure.

I run a machine shop and when I farm out stuff I usually ride the vendor until he delivers. this would be more of the same.

Sometimes you just have to make people perform.

Randy

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast