Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 44US-C

Boolit Master

Mossberg 44US-C

I picked up a Mossberg 44US-C recently and am really pleased with it so far. It came with one mag, S-130 peep and a front sight that I've not seen before. It has three different posts that flip up, a small narrow post, one slightly larger and a small circle. The hood is missing, but I found them online. Also picked up a web sling and a set of original swivels.

This is one man-sized 22 rifle. I'll guess it must weigh close to 8 pounds.

Now I need to strip it down and give it a thorough cleaning before heading to the range. I'll post the results later.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

My CMP purchased M44 is very accurate. I'll bet yours is too. It'll be interesting to see the results of your range trip.

Boolit Master

Back in the 50's when I was a kid a gunsmith put a front sight like that on my Mossberg 142A. Wish I still had that gun!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Need a scope ??
    be carefull when takeing trigger out . there is a spring that may end up in the sea some place

Boolit Bub
    Ain't they cool little guns....mine was bought at a local gun shop, I can hit a 12" square piece of steel off hand all day long at a 100 yards. At 50 yards with iron sights it groups 1" off the bench....I love it

Boolit Master

Range Plans

My planned trip to the range got superceded by my granddaughter! She is coming to see Pop-Pop (me) and we're going to the corn-maze!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    they are great guns , with 22 cb shorts you don't even need to go to the range , shoot right in the basement with no hearing protection, i have shot louder pellet guns , there is a spot for a screw in your magazine to make it feed shorts from the magazine a screw is thereaded up from the bottom

http://www.havlinsales.com/ here is the parts place for all things mossberg 22

I have a 46B (IIRC) that is a civilian version with a tubular magazine and has a front sight like the one in toe OP. I picked up the rifle in a pawn shop for $80.00.

These are great man sized rifles that shoot like a house-a-fire.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Have 10 of the 44's. Use 'em for Family Mossberg Matches at our Izaak Walton's range(all shoot same rifles/ammo). Many clean bulls shot on the 50 yard smallbore targets with these 1940 something made rifles. Sight picture with the post and peep very close to that of the M1 Garand, which was the intent. Some of 'em came with a Lyman rear sight, think the government paid about $2 extra for those ! Think I paid $79.95 for each, see 'em at shows now for $300+ .

Boolit Buddy
    I fired those 44's in Boy Scouts, then again in ROTC, now I own two of them. One of which was rebuilt by the US Army in Ogden Utah and inspected by some guy with the initials of EK (Elmer Keith).

Last Friday I took two of my Great Nephews out to the range and we shot about 100 rounds through it. They are 9 and 11 years old. I bought my Mossbergs and match ammo from the CMP (one of the best kept secrets in the shooting community) and a handful of extra magazines from Vic Havelin.

I also have a Kimber 82G that shoots a little tighter groups but all factors considered, the 44 Mossy's are superb and draw admiring attention from the Ruger 22 crowd.

There were two Inspectors at Ogden with the initials EK. One was Elmer Keith and the other was Ed Kozer. One had the initials "EK" in a box and the other did not have a box around the initials. IIRC it was Keith that had the box around the initials.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Just got a call from my Local Gunshop that a Mossberg 44 just came in. I told them to run my card for a deposit and I'll be in to run the 4473 tomorrow morning!

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Mossberg...."Most gun for the money". You can't beat the accuracy, for the price. I've got two, maybe three, ..I've forgotten, a 44 US, 44A US, and a 144 lsb, all superbly accurate. Adjustable triggers on two of them. The adjustable front sight is interesting to use.
    Enjoy it, and then...pass them on...they'll last.

In Remembrance

My grandfather had what I remember as a 44B with tube mag, swing away peep sight, ramped rear sight on the barrel, and a four post option front sight (one being a circle). If I remember rightly it was my uncle's who was killed on D Day. It held 22 of the 22 long rifle rounds and many shorts . It fed short, long, and long rifle equally flawlessly and was amazingly accurate. It is in psession of another uncle whom I haven't had contact with ina few decades

Boolit Master

This one is a 44US with the match sights and 8-shot magazine. I'm looking forward to getting the rifle in my hands shortly.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

I picked up a mossburg 40B (tube feed) last summer...very similar to your model 40US
    a total tack driver !
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I have a Mossberg 44US. It is accurate as all the 22 training rifles I have. I will say that the Springfield M2 is the better of them all. I like shooting them all.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Just got a call from my Local Gunshop that a Mossberg 44 just came in. I told them to run my card for a deposit and I'll be in to run the 4473 tomorrow morning!
    Bruce
    There used to be a LGS here, where I could have any gun held just on my say-so, no up-front $$ required! I would rush in there @ lunch time for a few minutes, check out a gun and just tell the owner, "I don't have time right now, put that one in the safe, I'll pick it up after work today or tomorrow." Once I fondled a gun @ lunch time, and waffled if I should buy it. I went back to my office and realized, I wanted it! I just called and had him put it in the safe for me. Then there was the time some guy brought in a S&W 686 and a rare, Coly MkV. I saw, and wanted both. To avoid the multi-gun report, I bought one then. The shop owner put the other in the safe for me until the next week. The good 'ole days!

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the predecessor rifles (single shot model 35) and it's spectacularly accurate.

One of these days I'll pick up a 44 US...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Got two from the CMP in the 90's. They were $75 each. Bought three magazines from Mr. Havlin and have enjoyed them ever since. I use Aquila Super Colibri's to shoot rabbits in the back yard. They are almost silent from the Mossberg. The air rifle makes more noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast