Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 380 are you casting for?

What 380 are you casting for?

I'm getting sick of my bersa 380. The dang thing got a barrel that measures .357, so I cast some Lee 125gr RN and sized them to .358. But they won’t chamber in the gun, to dang fat, and brass actually resizes the bullet too. I says ok, just size them to .357, they chamber great in the gun, but leaded the barrel badly.
    How do you guys solve the problem like that? Is there another cheap .380 like bersa? I understand that the pistol wasn't designed to shoot cast bullets, and I have no other problems with it, shoots great, very reliable, but I can’t afford to shoot copper bullets.

What 380 pistol are you casting for?

Boolit Master

I just bought a Taurus TCP a couple months ago, and tried some cast in it. I even bought a new mold, Lee 102R. The throat was super tight so I had to seat the bullets real deep. I fiddled with that, but should have slugged the bore first to save myself some trouble.

The barrel measures .358! I was pretty disappointed to see that. I wonder if this is common for this caliber; maybe they just use the same rifling equipment for everything from .380 to .357 mag- just a wild guess. You would sure think they could keep it a little closer to .355.

Generous Donator

Accutek 380, EEA EA380 and a Browning BDA. I seem to have good luck with the 358242 92 grain sized to .356-.357. None of these are in current production however.

Boolit Master

I have a old OMC back up and a kel tec in 380 , i have used the lee 102 rn and now the saeco #380 95 gr rn sized to 0.357 with no problems

Boolit Grand Master

Have the little Ruger, and it handles little 90 grainers real well.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and leading hasn't been a problem. I'm at work and don't remember which, but its a Lyman 120gr I think. Its loaded a little hotter than factory specs because it will knock steel plates down when factory won't.

be

Boolit Master
    Browning BDA, don't remember what the barrel slugs at, but I have no problems with it yet.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

What if I size them to 357 and bump up the powder charge? Right now with 125gr bullet I'm running 2.6gr of unique. If I up the charge to say 2.9, would that help with leading?

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards View Post
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and leading hasn't been a problem. I'm at work and don't remember which, but its a Lyman 120gr I think. Its loaded a little hotter than factory specs because it will knock steel plates down when factory won't.

be
    Did you slug the barrel in it? What you size bullets to? Also what kind of powder and how much of it you load?

Boolit Buddy
    I did not slug the barrel. I will have to check on the size when I get home. I can get you the loading then.

be

Boolit Buddy
    I've a Makarov chambered in .380. Before buying it I had Mountain Moulds build me a 3-banger .358 100g wc mould for the wife's light .38 target shooting. The Makarov will eat 'em all day and it's a shooter. I thought I was buying a tool chest gun- turns out it surpassed my expectations by a country mile. The 100g wc and Accurate #2 make a great pair.
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 Bersa Thunders and shoot cast .356 with no leading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterNutZ View Post
    Did you slug the barrel in it? What you size bullets to? Also what kind of powder and how much of it you load?
    Please check your loads, weights etc. as the board and I are not responsible to the accuracy of the following information

What I have loaded is: Magnus #302 100gr over 3.4gr SR4756 they mic out at .355 although the box says .356 and the OAL is .964. The boolits I thought were in it are in my 9mm. Still, I have had no leading through several boxes. My dad shot a bunch through his Baby Browning without leading also.

be

Colt Government 380 and it loves 358242 90 grainers sized to .357 under either bullseye or win.231

Shawn
    "(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison

Made in U.S.A.
    My every day hang on my belt gun is a Ruger LCP
    Use the 358242 92Gr. RN in it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=113110
    - Shameless plug -

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    My every day hang on my belt gun is a Ruger LCP
    Use the 358242 92Gr. RN in it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=113110
    - Shameless plug -

Swede Nelson
    I just ordered one of those last week as matter of fact. Looking forward to trying it out as I can produce more bullets faster with a 5 cavity vs a two banger.
    "(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison

Boolit Master

I load for a Keltec .380. It has a .355 groove and I use the Lee 120 TC@.356 loaded to max oal. Shoots and feeds well, no leading. Not fun to shoot in an 8 ounce gun once velocity gets up around 800 fps!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Man

I have a CZ 83 and I just starting casting the Lee 356-102-1R for it

Boolit Master

Swede- that 358242 looks like exactly what I would need for my Taurus; right diameter and nose style. If I hadn't spent too much money already I would buy one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've two to feed, a Beretta 84 and a Walther PPK/S. ww 231 under a Lyman 356-242 90 grain boolit runs just fine, sized .357 I get little leading, and lots of cheap practice.