Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50-70????

Boolit Master
    Well, this is really my father's fault. Him and his 50 beowulf thing. I think a 50 lever would be a lot more cool, but may have to settle for another black rifle. I like hearing all the stories from you guys. I have never seen a 50 govt rifle. Could anyone post a pic or something?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    ... I have never seen a 50 govt rifle. Could anyone post a pic or something?...
    Mine is a 2nd Model Allin that made a trip to Bannerman's Armory and then survived a trip to my workbench where the barreled action was mated to the stock and lock from a replica 1841 Mississippi rifle.

The 2nd Allin was made by taking the left over muzzle loading rifles and machining the breech area away. An anchor block was soldered and screwed to the barrel to hold the breechblock in place. The bore was drilled out and a three diameter barrel sleeve was installed. The hammer was reshaped to strike the firing pin and various small parts (ejector, springs, etc.) were added to make it complete. This was continued until the Model of 1868 when a seperate reciever was manufactured and sometimes new barrels also. I believe the Model 1870 was produced from new parts with some surplus small parts and by the time the 1873 (smallbore 45-70) was introduced, all the surplus parts had been used and the rifle was totally new made.

Additional photos and info can be found here:

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

strawhat... that is an awesome rifle there. love the old makings of history. tell me that the revolver is an 1860 original colt conversion? im sure its not unless you or someone had it re-finished....cool photo tho and im jealous of the rifle...big time.

Get one of the reproduction Winchester M1886's and rebore it to 50-70. Make sure you have a rifling twist for the heaviest bolit you intend to use.

Or even better a Browning '86 or '71 from the 1980's - that way you don't have the rebounding hammer or tang safety. Or you can get Doug Turnbull to build it on a modern made Winchester. He fixes those issues and case colors the receiver for just a few hundred bucks more than the base rifle. Way nicer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer View Post
    Get one of the reproduction Winchester M1886's and rebore it to 50-70. Make sure you have a rifling twist for the heaviest bolit you intend to use.
    Will the 50-70 fit in the 1886? They were not origianlly offered in that chambering and Winchester introduced the 50-110 (?) to fill the 50 caliber void.
    I believe the case is too big for the lever rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    strawhat... that is an awesome rifle there. love the old makings of history. tell me that the revolver is an 1860 original colt conversion? im sure its not unless you or someone had it re-finished....cool photo tho and im jealous of the rifle...big time.

The revolver is the Armi San Marco version of the Richards conversion of the 1860. They got some things correct and some things wrong but I like it. It is chambered for the 44 Colt, same as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Will the 50-70 fit in the 1886? They were not origianlly offered in that chambering and Winchester introduced the 50-110 (?) to fill the 50 caliber void.
    I believe the case is too big for the lever rifle.
    Shouldn't be a problem - 348 has the same size case head but is longer. Probably have to do some mods on the lifter to work with the shorter case. 50 Alaska is just a blown out 348 and those work fine, made just for the M71.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    There was a 50-95 Winchester in the 1876 rifle. There are repros made today. This is a bottleneck type which would give a good powder capacity gain over the 50-70 (I shoot those). The drawback is the 1876 action.. not built to be hot rodded. But the 50-95 can slay any critter out there so I recon it would be a great tool to use. Roadrunner (AZ) sells these repros for a very good looking price.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Not to Hijak but has anyone ever shot the 45-75 ? I was always interested in that one ..... Sorta reminded me of a Giant 44-40

oh and I see people mentioning the 50 AK being a blown out 348, just my$.02 but the starline new 50 Ak brass will likely be easier to find than the .348 winchester brass.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/an...50_alaskan.htm

heres a 50 AK built on a 336 Marlin!
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine