WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: +P Loads in .45 ACP Revolver's

+P Loads in .45 ACP Revolver's

I've had 2 S&W 625's in .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim. My current is a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP.

I have a fair amount of 45 Auto Rim brass and have worked up some pretty stout loads with no ill effects or signs of pressure.

The question is, is it safe to load .45 ACP brass up to the same pressure? I've always understood (and believed) the 45 Auto Rim and .45 ACP are the same internally and the web of the cartridge should be just as strong.

I Googled and looked over a few websites lastnight and saw some pretty impressive loads using 255 Grain boolits out of 1911's, upwards of 1050 FPS according to Paco Kelly.

Thanks for any info and experiences.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

Been loading such in ACP cases for years. I use the Thompson452490 (SWC GC'd) and also roll crimp the case mouths in the crimp groove. Obviously I use the clips in the revolvers.

Larry Gibson

Ditto

Boolit Grand Master
    The case wall of the 45 ACP is well within the cylinder; there should be no problem with plus P loads, save for the fact that I personally would stop at the 950 to 1000 fps mark with a 255. Even the best of them seat somewhat deeper in the case than 230 ball, and the small case volume runs pressures up quick.

A 255 at 1050 would be well past Plus P 45 ACP levels.

Boolit Master
    My Lee die won't do a roll crimp, what dies do you all use to put a roll crimp on the 45acp?
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    My Lee die won't do a roll crimp, what dies do you all use to put a roll crimp on the 45acp?
    I'm not sure about that one. I do know I special ordered a crimp die from Lyman just so I could get a roll crimp. I don't load for the .45 Colt, but I'm almost willing to bet you can't get the .45 Auto Rim up in it far enough to crimp it. Hummm.....

All I do know, is all the .45 ACP dies I've purchased over the years came with a taper crimp.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

i run 10.gr of blue dot under a 250gr lfn in my 625, and that=@920fps if i remember right, with auto rim brass and a federal gold medal primer, brass was starline.
    the data i saw had higher loading density than that but istopped there because accuracy was good and that was all the velocity i needed to shoot bowling pins with.
    out of a 4"bbl this is a pretty snappy load

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    My load was 9.5gr Blue Dot under a 255gr cast boolit in RP 45AR cases. It was pretty snappy from the 4" and accuracy was excellent.

Speer #10 listed 9.0 Hercules Blue Dot under a 260gr JHP in 45acp cases not exceeding 19,900 CUP.

I've tried some loadings with this data and it's been safe in my firearm. New Model Blackhawk Convertible. The ammo was accurate, but a bit more recoil than I really wanted for shooting normally. I stick mainly to my 6.5 gr. Unique, but it was good to see this worked well with mine. Gives a little more power, but I'd hate to mix em up with my auto's feed.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41

Boolit Master

I use a RCBS roll crimp die that I ordered from Midway for some AR loads, most just get the M-die sized neck "kissed" with the standard RCBS taper crimp die.

Boolit Master
    Where are you all coming up with this data? I have never seen anything published in a load manual that comes close to some of the loads listed here. In fact the two manuals I have on hand right now (Hornady and a Lyman) have lighter loads listed for the AR than the ACP. Would like to try out some of these hot loads, but would only feel comfortable with a reliable source.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

handloader magazine from i don't know when, got it second hand from a trusted source.
    you gotta remember that manuals are gonna be very conservative with all the ww1 revolvers out there, the ruger and n-frame smiths won't be hurt by these loads, i think the pressure is actually+p
    i just taper crimp my loads,@550rds later no evidence of bullet creep