MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt .45 black powder load

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny 1950 View Post
    Just got a 1873 SAA .45 Colt and can't afford to shoot it..I need to reload. I am thinking that a good load for target shooting would be 30 grains of Goex FFFG with a 200 grn. boolit with a few wads.
    Am I wrong??
    That load will work just fine, but you don't want the wads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    Dale, I am assuming "loaded a case full of black" is powder level that will make bullet sitting on top of it and protruding 1/16" longer out before being pushed in the case for crimping. Also, how much powder (in grains) is that load? Did you check muzzle velocity?

As for Lyman Cowboy Bullet 452664, which one you have, new design (left) or old design (right):

Attachment 324581

Seems to me that, because of larger lube groove, old design is better suited for black powder.
    Thanks
    I really dislike that phrase "loaded a case full of black". It does make it sound like a case is filled flush to the case mouth.
    If you did fill that much powder you would be compressing the powder column down more than a quarter inch.
    I doubt that much compression is possible without splitting the case side.

I have loaded 35 to 38 gr. of 2fg & 3fg with the new version of the Lyman 452664 and the lube groove is more than adequate for any length revolver barrel. I even shoot that bullet in a 24” Win 73 rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Those two different length cases will be a real problem if you use a roll crimp (and you should) and try to load them all at once as mixed cases. I'd trim them all back to be uniform and then load.
    nah !!! sort the brass and load each batch - couple minutes to adjust the seat and crimp die

This is going to be interesting. All I have is GOEX 3F and Olde Eysnford 3F. What I always liked is a grain weight load, instead of load then crunch. Seems more repeatable that way, even though my New Model Army will not exactly be a target pistol. I might also experiment with some home made black powder loads, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12