Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt .45 black powder load

Colt .45 black powder load

Just got a 1873 SAA .45 Colt and can't afford to shoot it..I need to reload. I am thinking that a good load for target shooting would be 30 grains of Goex FFFG with a 200 grn. boolit with a few wads.
    Am I wrong??

35-38 grs. of FFF will work well with a 250 gr. SKWC!! I use an OPW in my loaded cartridges.
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

If your cylinder is made with the proper gas ring on the base pin bushing, Ray's load will prove very powerful and accurate. If the base pin bushing is not correct, the load is still potent and accurate but you will only fire a cylinderfull before the gun fouls out. Lube your bullets with a good SPG type lube.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Slug the bore. You can shoot anything from RB to 250 grain or so bullets with even cheap chinese BP. Rb would be cheapest, especially if you know someone using a large enough diameter who could cast or help you cast.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master

28 grains of FFg and a felt wad under a 230 grain rnfp makes a sweet shootng mild recoil load that duplicated the military load quite nicely. This clocks 700 fps from my short barreled SAA and will run a little over 750 from a 7 1/2. I punch my felt wads fro old hats from the thrift shop.

yep...38 grains of 2f goex or cartridge powder...large pistol prime....030 to .060 over powder wad...250 to 255 grain round nose flat point boolit ,,a Keith style semi-wad cutter is good as well,,lubed with a good bp lube... hang onto yer six-shooter as this will open yer eye to mid range power in a six-gun.

wasn't till the .357 mag came along that it got beat power wise. when you feel you want a bit more....40 grains cartridge with the same components.

oh and a wise man pointed me in this direction......grease your cylinder pin with mobil-1 synthetic grease and check yer cylinder gap for the magical .007 clearance between it and the forcing cone.

have a ball and report back with your results.

clean-up is a snap also...dis-assemble and spray down everything with a bolastol/water mix and let set for 1/2 hour...then plunge everything into a warm soapy water bath for the scrubbing...follow this with as many clear warm water baths till all soap is gone...dry with a hair dryer and oil it up and allow to cool down for 1/2 hour...wipe excess oil off and spray the innerd of her with oil excessively to ensure all water is displaced with oil...stow away and check in a few days to be sure that everything is good to go.

my Remington c&b revolver has been setting for 6 months in such condition and as luck would have it i dug it out yesterday as im going to go thrust myself into the new snow today and shoot it and upon checking it has the oily smell and clean as a spanking baby...have fun with bp in a revolver...it is very addictive.

Boolit Master

35gr of your favorite flavor BP and a 250-60 Boolit of the proper diameter will do just fine. I use Swiss 1.5f or Goex Cartridge and no wad. Remember the case must have NO AIRSPACE. 100% load density is a must. Proper lube is important as well.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BP Loads in 1873 .45 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny 1950 View Post
    Just got a 1873 SAA .45 Colt and can't afford to shoot it..I need to reload. I am thinking that a good load for target shooting would be 30 grains of Goex FFFG with a 200 grn. boolit with a few wads.
    Am I wrong??
    OK, if you haven't bought the brass yet, get the Schofield Brass and 28 - 30 grains of either ffg or fffg and a 230 grain lead boolit lubed with a BP compatable lube and you will get yourself a mild and accurate load.

I have been using that load for SASS Matches for years.

Boolit Bub
    Am extremely new to this. I have some Swiss 2ff and a Ruger Vaquero chambered in 45 Colt.

Does this combination have potential to use BP?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 41wyom View Post
    Am extremely new to this. I have some Swiss 2ff and a Ruger Vaquero chambered in 45 Colt.

Does this combination have potential to use BP?
    Absolutely! I shoot BP in my old model Blackhawk regularly. If I do my part it will put 5 shots into 6" gong at 100 meters with authority

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

A few years ago I got the itch to shoot BP in my Ruger .45 Colt so a little research was in order. The consensus was that the early loads were 30 grains of BP with the 250 grain boolit; later upped to 40 grains. That is a substantial load. You're good anywhere in that range. Just don't us 4F. It goes too fast and will make big pressure. Enjoy the smoke and sulfur!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Oops. Another BP CB project for my list. Just so happens I have SPG lubed Kieth 452424 SWC's, OP wads, an old RBH and some Swiss FFg lying around here somewhere. Will make a great backup when I carry it with my Sharps on a hunting trip. Most trips I drop in loads with Universal Clays, now that just doesn't seem right.
    Thanks, guys!

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Post 45 Colt BP Loads

Slug your bore and check all cylinder diameters and throats. Try to use a 20-1 alloy as it will deliver the best performance. The best thing to do if you can is find a mentor that will give you valuable information into all the correct moves. I have found that 2F gives the best overall accuraccy but try different brands.
    Read the 5th edition of The Complete Black Powder Handbook by Sam Fadala. It has plenty of usable things to know. Buy some Ballistol and a good spray bottle. Put in 14 oz of water and 2 oz of Ballistol. This makes what is known as Moose Milk and is all you need for cleaning. Spray the gun down well and use the moose milk on patches. After a good cleaning use Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease on the base pin and cylinder bushing. You need to put your cases into a bucket of water with Dawn/Oxy, Lemon Juice and Pine -Sol /lemon. Use about 2 oz of each with a bucket and 1 gallon of water. Your brass will need cleaning with ceramic or stainless media and a rotary type tumbler.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Just got my Lee mold in the mail...many of you have suggested a 250 grain boolit but I want to load for .45ACP later on and got a mold that is supposed to be good for .45ACP and .45Colt. I am still waiting for a primer feeder for a Lee 4 hole turret press so can't reload yet.
    I bought 60 rounds of Hornady cowboy action loads (smokeless 255 gr.) to try out the gun and get some cases and then I found 300 cases at a scrap yard for $6.00.
    In this picture the Hornady case is on the left and the M-M .45 Colt case from the scrap yard is on the right. Notice that the Hornady case is .053 inches shorter...is this going to be a problem???

Boolit Master
    Those two different length cases will be a real problem if you use a roll crimp (and you should) and try to load them all at once as mixed cases. I'd trim them all back to be uniform and then load.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Hornady's are almost always a length issue. The same is true of the .45-70 Leverevolution ammo. Those cases are shorter. I keep a few on hand for long/bullets with low grease grooves. Have used them 2 x and they don't work with crimp dies. 8(

fun fact...

my ruger vaquero slugged out to .452 inch instead of the .454 inch of the Italian m-73 i have. this with the barrel and all cylender mouth as well.

make sure to slug yer barrel n cylender mouth's to know what diameter of boolit to use...this is going to go a long way in the leading dept....er lack of it. have a blast....ha....with yer new toy n enjoy the smoke n sparks.......go shoot it in the dark sometime....very cool!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I shot BPCR Silhouette for 15 years (until vision problems put me out of the game with ALL rifles). There were many matches that had side matches for black powder revolvers. I started with a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. It was a good one but I decided I wanted a bit longer barrel and a Bisley grip.

I swapped it out for a new Ruger Bisley Vaquero. I loaded a case full of black (tried all available brands and stuck with Swiss 2F) +1/16" (compressed by the bullet 1/16"). I used the Lyman Cowboy Bullet 452664 at 20/1 lead/tin and Federal LP primers. My revolver would regularly shoot into 2" or so at 25 yards. Make no mistake, this is a powerful load. Further, it will shoot 70-75 shots before the cylinder starts to bind up and needs cleaning.

I use "Friendship Speed Juice" for cleaning then follow up with Ed's Red for protection. Takes just five minutes or so. I have not found the need to "dunk my cartridge revolvers in soap and water) like you have to do Cap & Ball revolvers. My Bisley is clean as a whistle:

For a smokeless practice load, I used 8.0 grs of Unique. Both loads shot to the same point of impact (dead on at 25 yards). I won a number of matches with this Bisley including several score matches.

Mike Venturino's book, "Shooting Colt Single Actions" has excellent instructions on loading, caring for, and shooting both black powder and smokeless applicable to all single action revolvers.
    I followed his "recipes" and started shooting well immediately with little or no problems. It is now out of print but Mike states on his web site that he is working on a 2nd Edition. He is still showing some in stock on his web site:

http://www.mlventerprises.com/Coltbook.htm

FWIW
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 11-06-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks for the replies on this...just set up the press and the powder measure only dispenses a max. of 23 grains so I loaded up 40 rounds with 23 grains and 2 1/2...1/8 inch wads to fill the case.
    I have a kit coming to increase the amount of powder to 36 grains which is a full case so no wads needed.
    Can't wait to go to the range and try it out..should be a blast.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I loaded a case full of black (tried all available brands and stuck with Swiss 2F) +1/16" (compressed by the bullet 1/16"). I used the Lyman Cowboy Bullet 452664 at 20/1 lead/tin and Federal LP primers.
    Dale, I am assuming "loaded a case full of black" is powder level that will make bullet sitting on top of it and protruding 1/16" longer out before being pushed in the case for crimping. Also, how much powder (in grains) is that load? Did you check muzzle velocity?

As for Lyman Cowboy Bullet 452664, which one you have, new design (left) or old design (right):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 452664.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	324581

Seems to me that, because of larger lube groove, old design is better suited for black powder.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast