Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Max Ammo?

Boolit Master
    Chicken Thief,
    I just wanted to remind you, "for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spititual wickedness in high places."
    After I learned this verse, I had to accept that no man was my enemy and that I should forgive anyone that has sinned against me in order to obtain mercy. However, if someone points a gun at me (as in a crime) I will not hesitate to blow him away. Personal preservation will almost always prevail.
    However, eventhough I know you were kidding, and I just had to respond. I am NOT a Bible thumper though. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

I'm now considered to be one of those crusty old farts, heck, I'm 65, retired, I've earned it. That said, I think Hornady can call their ammo anything they want to. This zombie max is nothing other than their FTX ammo in a different box.(Flex Tip eXpanding).

The FTX in handgun ammo is designed to penetrate clothing WITHOUT clogging the hollow point, like can and does happen with normal HP ammo. They've proved it by shooting both through several layers of denim, then into gelatin blocks.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

I think anyone who pays money for the Zombie Max ammo is foolish and gullible. On the other hand, it is no doubt a fantastic marketing ploy by Hornady. If it gets more folks into the shooting sports, I'm all for it.

Personally, I don't watch much TV. Haven't had cable since 2006. There isn't much I miss and I can always download whatever I feel the need to watch for entertainment. My wife is a TV geek. When she watches TV I go to the garage. It's better for her that way. If I watch TV with her she gets a huge dose of my sarcasm and me continuously pointing how full of it the show is or how something is wrong and not realistic, but mostly just a ton of sarcastic remarks at her shows

While we are on the subject of zombies - no discussion of zombies is complete without mention of the movie Zombieland. Surprisingly, I found the movie funny and entertaining. The rules for surviving Zombieland are hysterical, "Rule#1 Cardio, Rule#2 The Double Tap, etc"
    http://www.zombieland.com/

Boolit Master

I think anyone who pays money for the Zombie Max ammo is foolish and gullible.
    Yes, especially since it's 4 dollars more for 25 rounds than the regular critical defense ammo with the same loading,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/388...ding-box-of-25

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...-tip-expanding

But some will pay the extra $ just for the "cool factor".

IF on the other hand it has some special powers, ya know like the silver boolit for vampires, then it's a must have for the SHTF crowd!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I am just waiting for some "internet experts" or Mall Ninjas to start telling us you can only kill (nonexistant) Zombies with Zombie ammo. They will probably say that cast won't work and besides it will lead your barrel.

Blacksmith

Actually saw some in 45. Looks like a hollow point with a green plastic 'plug' - not a pointy tip.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw some of this at Cabela's last night, I won't be buying any but that is what makes America great.....the right to choose.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Yes, especially since it's 4 dollars more for 25 rounds than the regular critical defense ammo with the same loading,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/388...ding-box-of-25

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...-tip-expanding

But some will pay the extra $ just for the "cool factor".

IF on the other hand it has some special powers, ya know like the silver boolit for vampires, then it's a must have for the SHTF crowd!
    That's just it! It's KEWL!

BTW, I doubt it would still be on the shelf if it wasn't selling. I'll go ahead and reiterate a statment I made before: Sombody there made a savy marketing call and it paid off in spades. Period.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    Well men, it's not just Hornady cashing in on the zombie threat. Here's Ka-bar's contribution:

http://www.reactgear.com/KA-BAR-ZK-Z...FWsCQAodnnGiEg

This zombie thing has several different faces:

1. "Zombie" is an alias for mind numbed attackers of whatever sort that might try to overrun your part of the world. Preparing for one type would put you in good shape for any of the other types, even if one type is fictional and the others aren't.

2. Some people like to imagine a scenario in which every other human being is automatically on their side. In order to do that, one has to have a foe that is inherently against all human beings, something like zombies or aliens or even an influenza virus, for a reality based foe.

3. "Zombie hunting" is also morphing into a new shooting sport, much like Cowboy Action shooting, Sporting Clays, or Combat shooting, in which a person is thrust into varied situations to use different firearms.

If this zombie thing gets people up and about, thinking of "what if...", and moves them towards gun ownership and the shooting sports, I'll not denigrate it.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, funny or not, old or young, offended or not, I'm noticing that this stuff is sold out or backordered in more than one location, and they're all saying "We'll have some as soon as we can get more!" Hats off to the guy who brought it up in the board meeting. That idea has made Hornady a lot of money. Clever marketing.

I do chuckle a little, and so did my wife when I explained it. Zombies do seem to be getting "a life of their own". I don't need it, as what I have will work fine, but it has crossed my mind to get a box or two as gag gifts that my friends can actually use on the range.

snuffy, your comment is perfect:
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
    - Unknown

On the Zombie ammo.
    We all have the freedom to buy it or pass it up.
    To me it's a perfect example of the market in action.
    I salute Hornady for their enterprise.
    I may CHOOSE to buy some for both what it's truly useful for and the novelty (mostly the former). It's probably good hunting ammo.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Buddy
    but it has crossed my mind to get a box or two as gag gifts that my friends can actually use on the range.
    I was thinking Christmas presents for the shooters I work with, same idea. We use zombie targets all of the time. I get target sized cardboard free from work and have a contest for the kids to see who makes the best zombie target. My son (12 yrs old ) would love a box of these. Whatever keeps them interested in going to the range is fine with me.

Boolit Buddy
    Bowfin got it. This ammo targets those involved in the USPSA-type of action shooting matches called "Zombie Matches". Unlike usual competitions, only head shots count.

It sounds like a fun match. I wish there were one around here.

Boolit Master
    Oh, I agree with all aspects here and have nothing new to add, but it is kinda funny and I see the marketing involved. Those left wingers already have the excuses needed to hate us and I dont see how this adds fuel to their fire. If it sells ammo, sell it. If it sold guns half as well, I would call it a success. I just think that we (myself included) could lighten up a bit and enjoy the sunset for what it is.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Bub
    I think it was a great marketing gimmick. But what concerns me is the money and effort that the CDC put forth to do a study and a publication about a Zombie Threat !!! seems like a waste of money. But on the flip side of it. The local Boy Scouts use the CDC manual as a way to get used to the idea of prepping for a disaster. Like Hurricanes and such.

Boolit Master
    I suppose I should comment on this.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I really dislike this whole zombie thing. I groaned out loud when brownells sent a really tacky letter to me with a zombie theme a few months ago. They are not endearing me with it, rather the opposite.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I suppose I should comment on this.
    Too funny!

I find the whole zombie thing to be quite amusing. Zombie ammo is just another novelty that will run it's course. Clever marketing really. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. I haven't bought any and don't intend to, but I do think it’s funny. Carry on Hornady, Brownells, etc. Nothing wrong with having a sense of humor.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

What I'm wondering about is the Z-Max bullet. Does it violently expand and disintegrate as a varmint bullet; or does it expand but hold together as a hunting bullet should? If it's decent hunting ammo I'll be sure to buy some. I have less need for varmint ammo in the cartridge.

Ickisrulz on television,
    It's actually addictive. I had to disconnect the cable to get my daughter to engage in something other than existing in front of it. I've also found it to be a terrible way to be informed about what's going on in the world (media bias). I'd rather be doing useful things instead of watching most of what's on it.

I read, use the internet to be informed, and do useful things instead of watching TV.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Grand Master

I Don't watch much TV, I hate zombie flicks, I never buy factory ammo, and I dont go in for fads........
    But this stuff is freakin awesome
    I seriously want some! Just think! This might be the start of a run of special ammo. Next they will come out with vampire slugs, then werewolf bullets, then who knows? Personally, I want the whole set.
    Someday, Ill be showing a nephew or grandson through my gun cabinet explaining the more noble ways of punching holes in things, and safety rules, and hunting ethics, etc. etc. and at one point, when his eyes seem to be glazing over, Ill slide out a box of this stuff, and watch him go all on me.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast