RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W N-frame square butt grips

Boolit Master
    Fred,

Those were the grips he was showcasing on the N-frame page you posted a link to. I'm glad you like yours and can accept they fit well. Being as I'm on the opposite coast I would not be able to just drop in for an adjustment as you are able.

I have a set of factory target grips you can have for $50 plus shipping. They are in decent shape, not new, but pretty good. No, I am not going to hunt up the camera and post pics. Just too much trouble. If you get them and don't like them I will refund your money.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Both the Magna and checkered target grips are everywhere at every gunshow I go to for 20-30 dollars. Just had one last weekend so there won't be one for a while but if you can't find what you want, let me know and I'll pick up a pair at the next one.

Both Hogue and Pachmayr are on my Sh1t list. Hogue told me their Super BH grips fit my BFR. They don't and now they're telling me I have to whittle here and there. They went in the trash.

I just bought a set of Pachmayr for my Super BH and there's a 1/32 gap where they meet. I called Pachmayr and got an incredibly stupid woman who used the word "Duh" a lot. She put me through to her supervisor's voice mail and he never returned my call.
    They went back to the store and I'm not buying any more of them either.

Love Life
    Yikes! I hope my Pachmayr experience is better.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Both the Magna and checkered target grips are everywhere at every gunshow I go to for 20-30 dollars. Just had one last weekend so there won't be one for a while but if you can't find what you want, let me know and I'll pick up a pair at the next one.

Both Hogue and Pachmayr are on my Sh1t list. Hogue told me their Super BH grips fit my BFR. They don't and now they're telling me I have to whittle here and there. They went in the trash.

I just bought a set of Pachmayr for my Super BH and there's a 1/32 gap where they meet. I called Pachmayr and got an incredibly stupid woman who used the word "Duh" a lot. She put me through to her supervisor's voice mail and he never returned my call.
    They went back to the store and I'm not buying any more of them either.
    WHERE are you finding S&W TARGETS for $30 a pair?

Buy me SEVERAL sets Please. I'll buy $30 N or K frame targets all day long.

FN in MT

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    WHERE are you finding S&W TARGETS for $30 a pair?

Buy me SEVERAL sets Please. I'll buy $30 N or K frame targets all day long.

FN in MT
    If you're serious, I'll be happy to. They show up in half the junk boxes at the Richmond Shows.
    What doesn't show up are the smooth grips and when they do, they are spendy.

I bought up K and N frame Magnas for $10.00 and K and N frame target grips for $25.00, but that was 15 years ago. There are not grips for anything near those prices at any gun show I have been too in recent years.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/

I buy them both direct and from seller on both ebay and gunbroker named Gripseller. All of my S&W's are slowly being swapped out to wear Ahrends. The Retro Target may be what you are looking for. I just bought one but have yet to take a pic of it. It's cut from cocobolo and I put it on my 29-3. My hand doesn't fit the original N frame target grip but the Ahrends fit like they were made for me. I also love the finger groove version. Paying the extra $20 for the tung oil is pretty nice but you can get them unfinished from Kim Ahrends and do it yourself. The standard finish is a water based poly that is a sort of satin clear finish. Klean Strip eats it right off on the few I decided to stain and refinish. I like Altamont's magnas with a BK grip http://www.bkgrips.com/ but I like Ahrends for everything else. K frame .38's and smaller feel best with the BK's and magnas, but Combat Magnums and above feel best in my hand with Ahrends.

EDIT: To anyone with fit problems with Pachmayrs, try warming the rubber in a sunny window or the trunk of the car. Warm rubber stretch fits better. Also I have put some on and swore they didn't fit only to try again and they pop right into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I bought up K and N frame Magnas for $10.00 and K and N frame target grips for $25.00, but that was 15 years ago. There are not grips for anything near those prices at any gun show I have been too in recent years.
    The Va Shows are odd sometimes. Plastic and Black go for a premium but the grab boxes are full of expensive holsters and grips for a few bucks.

The last show I got a great deal on a double 12 muzzle loader, got taken on a BP revolver and got a good deal on a bullet mold.

I replied to your PM BTW.

Ed K,

I should have been clearer in my post. I was talking about my experience with two different companies, Altamont and Hogue. All my Altamont grips fit my Ruger Blackhawks perfectly, plus a couple of 1911 sets.

The grip that had to go back was a set that Hogue made for me on special order. It had a fitting problem and they were able to fix it while I waited in the lobby of their shop in Paso Robles, where my daughter lived at the time. I've never been to Altamont's shop, which is in Thomasboro, IL.

I'm sure they could have used a better photo for their ad, after looking at it. That hasn't been my experience with their grips, and I see now that it hasn't been your experience with them, either. You were just posting a picture from their website.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Actually I've purchases Hogues that fit like the Altamont picture.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

S&W Mdl 29 grips

I have been to several S&W schools along with other companies and the first thing every trained LEO did was to change the grips to the Hogue or other similar looking grip. The reason is that the grip is built backwards from the human hand and how you use a proper grip to shoot correctly.
    The correct grip is the hand should fit at the very top of the back strap and the bottom of the hand around the grip. The hand is at it's largest at the smallest part of the grip and smallest at the largest part of the grip.
    This causes the shooter to grip lower at the top and end up with a downward pointing position at the bottom. This leads to improper control of the gun and gives you no, eye or sight alignment. The proper grip is to be obtained at the time the hand and gun make contact while still in the holster.
    Just something for you to think about as the proper grip and control of the gun is much more important than any grip that looks good.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not wanting to hijack the thread, but does anybody know what model(s) these would fit?

I'm a Ruger fan and have never owned or shot an S&W. I picked these up at a garage sale in the early 90's while living in Wasilla AK. The back side of the right grip is marked "APR 6 1984". I don't believe they have been used as the checkering is still sharp but the finish on them in my opinion is not great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWgripsF.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	36842

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWgripsB.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	36843

jandbn, those are for a S&W N-frame, sq. butt. They would be a fit for the op's 28-2, as well as any of the other N frame guns.
    Let me know if you're looking to get rid of them

Boolit Buddy
    2hawk,
    PM sent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12