Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W N-frame square butt grips

Love Life

S&W N-frame square butt grips

I have this new to me S&W model 28-2 highway patrolman. There is only one thing I can find wrong with this revolver and it is that it wears Hogue Monogrips. I would like to put a set of wood grips on here like the originals. Can you more experienced members point me in the right direction of a good company that sells the old target style grips?
    Last edited by Love Life; 11-06-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Google 'Eagle Heritige grips'..see if that's the style you want..or you can maybe find some on ebay of the gun auction sites. I think the Eagle grips cost about $100-$120 a set..you can likely find decent originals for the same or less money. I've bought original S&W targets for $20 before. However seems everybody is looking for them now..and they can be pricy.

I like the Hogue grips similiar to what's on your gun..except with one finger groove. The two groove style like your's ain't bad either

Love Life
    I just got done looking at the Eagle grip sight and they do have exactly what I want, but they are a little spendy. I will have to check E-bay as well. I never have liked the hogues. The grip needs to mind it's own business and not try to tell me where to put my fingers!

Boolit Grand Master

If you just want smooth, look at Pachmayr Presentation grips. On sale for $20 at Optics Planet. If you want factory wood, then low balling on eBay until a pair comes home is the way to go.

Boolit Master

Look at herrett's grips. They will make you something from a tracing of your hand for about the same money or even less.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That looks like a nylon monogrip from here . Someone looking at my "N" frame guns might think that's my favorite grip ...... they'd be right too . I've logged more rounds in the six inch 29 with those grips than any other two guns combined .

I did get to use some diamond center targets grips on an old four screw model eighteen once and like them too .

As for getting regular S&W magna grip , it's seems like about any gun show would have some .

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 10-16-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    They have Hogue grips in all sorts of styles and materials too...from rosewood just like is on the N frame..to smoothies..about $80 or so.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I bought a 57-1 last summer with rubber on it, I watched the for sale section here and on several other forums and found a nice set of OEM, not perfect, target stocks for it. I think it was on the Coltforum, of all places, $50.00 from a guy In Michigan. I also listed a "want to buy" on several forums.

Boolit Grand Master
    The six inch Model 28 that I had, (I don't remember the dash number) came with a set of beat up target style stocks on it. IIRC an HKS speedloader would not clear them, hence the main reason I changed them out.

If you want to try them before you buy a decent set send me a PM with your address.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I hate those hogue mono grips. The ones that came stock on my 629 were brutal. I switched them for a set of pachmyer presentations. I prefer the full target smith & wesson grips.
    Some where between here and there.....

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Speed loaders clear OEM S&W target stocks on my 57-1 and also on the 57 that I had years ago. I had a set of Thumb rest after market stocks for an N frame years ago, nothing cleared them, had to rotate the cylinder just to get all the fired cases to drop clear.

Your M-28 could have come with either magnas or target stocks.

The magnas are also called Service stocks. They are fairly small, basically match the size of the frame.

Then we have the much larger Target stocks.

If your gun is post 1968 your stocks would NOT have the diamond center. Good too as the Diamond stocks bring a premium to collectors or anyone wanting to make an older Smith "right".

The EAGLE grips are made in India, quality as well as FIt can be spotty. I struck out TWO out of TWO times with Eagle. Never again.

I'd suggest a WANTED ad here, as well as any other gun forums you frequent. As well as gun shows or gun shops. Targets ARE expensive. They no longer make them and folks like you wanting to make a gun right, as well as Collectors have driven the prices Up, UP, UP.

I'd expect your going to pay $50 to $60 at minimum.

Good Luck...FN in MT

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    Your M-28 could have come with either magnas or target stocks.

The magnas are also called Service stocks. They are fairly small, basically match the size of the frame.

Then we have the much larger Target stocks.

If your gun is post 1968 your stocks would NOT have the diamond center. Good too as the Diamond stocks bring a premium to collectors or anyone wanting to make an older Smith "right".

The EAGLE grips are made in India, quality as well as FIt can be spotty. I struck out TWO out of TWO times with Eagle. Never again.

I'd suggest a WANTED ad here, as well as any other gun forums you frequent. As well as gun shows or gun shops. Targets ARE expensive. They no longer make them and folks like you wanting to make a gun right, as well as Collectors have driven the prices Up, UP, UP.

I'd expect your going to pay $50 to $60 at minimum.

Good Luck...FN in MT

There are other gun forums?

MK42gunner- Thank you for the offer, but I am going to give the Pachmayr presentation grips a try. I use speed loaders so that is important. This is my bumming gun so I really don't need to put nice wood on here, but once I locate a suitable safe queen/spare then I guess I will have to pony up for quality.

Go to the S&W forum and search member Kurac, he makes sweet coke style grips.

Ahrends are nice too.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

You may also want to look at Altamont grips. I much prefer them to Eagle grips, and they're about 1/3 the price, and made in the USA. Here is the link to the N-Frame page: http://altamontco.com/products/pisto...rame/index.php

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

The Altamonts look nice!

I got my original Mod 28-2 square butt grip sides left over from when I put a... eh... Hogue Monogrip on it.

Let me know via PM if you are interested and I'll dig them up from the basement.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

I have changed all my double action revolvers over to Hogue Mono-grips. Never have found a factory grip I could shoot well. The make them biggest where your hand is the smallest. Just doesent make sense.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    The Altamonts look nice!
    They do so long as you don't look too close!

I have 7 pairs of Altamont grips, and they all fit perfectly. Since yours don't fit, send that picture, along with the grips, back to them and see what they do for them. My bet is they will make them fit. At least give them the chance to make them right.

I had to do that with a pair of Hogue grips that were made special for me. While I was visiting in Paso Robles, CA, I stopped by their shop and showed them the problem. Aaron Hogue took them back in the shop area and fixed them while I waited. It took him perhaps 10 minutes and they were still warm from the polishing wheel when he handed them back to me.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast