Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: To buy or not to buy...Lyman 45

Boolit Bub

To buy or not to buy...Lyman 45

Hey there, fellas...

I have an opportunity to buy a Lyman 45 Lube-sizer for $60. Seems in fair-to-middlin condition, but comes with no dies. The gentleman assures me that it does, in fact, function.

To me, it seems a bit on the high side. I have no Lubrisizer currently and have been pan lubing for quite a while with fine results. I am shooting enough these days that it tends to be a pain in the kiester to do so, however. You know- more like work than play.

Thoughts?

How much do dies tend to be these days?

Thanks in advance for the loan of your gray matter.

Boolit Master
    60's a touch on the high side but it would have to have a sizing die of my choice at that price!

You'll find most on e bay run 50 or so, some with several dies.

I realize money is tight all over these days, Heck I started out with a 45 I payed 10 for back in the 70's!

I see patience as a virtue these days and I think I'd make an offer in the 40 dollar range as it will cost you most of 20 to get a sizing die!

Don't be insulting simply state you've done you " due diligence" as far as parts prices go and this is what you consider a fair offer now that you know what it needs to be a "turn key" casting tool!

If he goes for it you win if he doesn't go for it you still win because a better deal may come to your door tomorrow!

Good luck.

In Remembrance
    $60 bucks and no shipping? Hell, I'd take it. That's about what I gave for my two Lyman 45's and I've never looked back.

i've gone higher for a nice one ( complete with box etc ) the real question is is it worth it ? IMHO yes , while i wish it was stronger it's my fav of the bunch , from time to time one does see one for less in good shape , one thing to figure on is if it doesnt have o-rings on the piston the newer one fits and is a worthy up grade and about $5 plus shipping ( which is also a good time to get a couple spare o-rings anyways )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

I might just wait for a better priced or one in nicer shape....however that isn't too far out of line, so it's your call. They are a good sizer.

Doug

Boolit Bub
    From the pics I saw it is in ok shape, but not great. It has the box and instructions, also in ok but not great condition. I think I'll take Heavy Metal's advice and offer low and see what he says.

Boolit Master
    if it functions as it is supposed too and all parts are there i don't think you are paying too much ,borderline, but for a 45 in good working condition you ain't getting "ripped off".
    i paid $50 (without shipping & handling) for mine last year and it isn't very pretty but i have already got my money's worth out of it ,,i love it,.
    so $60 with no s/h ,,,go for it ,
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Banned
    $60 is a little high especially with out a die. But I've seen 'em go higher. Six of one . . . half dozen of the other.

Boolit Master

i would pass at that price offer $55. shipped
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Tell him you'll take it if throws in a die and maybe a top punch too. He might go for that quicker than lowering the price. Either way you won't get screwed. It's just not a great deal.
    Aim small, miss small!