WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bull Plate: Substitute again

Boolit Master
    And his site DOES say if you want bullets or lube to email him, email address provided.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    And his site DOES say if you want bullets or lube to email him, email address provided.
    Unfortunately, if you send an e-Mail, don't expect an answer. Somewhere, in one of these threads, there is a statement that internet service is no longer active in Dan's home. Obviously I have no idea whether that is temporary or permanent. As others have stated, I only wish Dan and his family all the best.

Ed

has anyone run comparative tests for an alternative

it matters not what BullPlate is
    what matters is finding something that is effective as an alternative

I was hoping someone very exsperience, who does a lot of shooting would take Cbrick up on his challenge

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    has anyone run comparative tests for an alternative
    Use paraffin wax
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I have been using Amsoil full synthetic 2 stroke oil and I am tickled pink with it. I can see no difference in fact.
    Amsoil shows five different 2 cycle oils with very different formulas.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1988.pdf

Wich one do you use?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justcharlie View Post
    i use Bel-Ray MC-1 synthetic raceing lubricant works for me
    green in color.
    just my 2c
    justcharlie

Humm, flash point is 208 and it is a "fully synthetic ester lubricant". But it sure is pricy!!! WOW!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    it was the insinuation that people have a knowledge of what BP is and are holding out.
    One person does claim to know what it is, but said that he would not say what it was. He suggested that we look for a substitute to PB rather than a replacement.

Went back to find the quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Or, efforts could be directed in a much more effective way to find a substitute, rather than a duplicate.

I've championed Dan's cause from the beginning and will not disclose what Bullplate is, but aside from that I think it's high time to declare alternative sprue plate lubes to be "shareware" like all of our boolit lube, gun cleaning, and alloy recipes. I've posted what I've used as a substitute to pretty good effect.

Gear
    Last edited by L1A1Rocker; 12-20-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm using the HP injector oil.
    I've mixed it 3/1 with Beeswax and through in a little Carnuba. Works great

Boolit Master
    Well, after reading through all this I guess the analysis of BP and possible alternatives didn't take place, bummer. I'll either be going with the Husquvarna XP 2-Stroke SYNTHETIC or the Amsoil Saber Outboard 100:1 Pre-Mix. Considering only one is available at Lowe's that kinda makes the decision easy. lol

I tried the Husquvarna XP and it certainly seems to work just fine (about $2 from a lawn mower shop). I haven't done multiple sessions without redoing it, but it certainly worked well for at least one 1-hour session without reapplication.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all you folks for advice. I'm a novice at boolit casting and just learning the ropes!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Amsoil shows five different 2 cycle oils with very different formulas.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1988.pdf

Wich one do you use?
    There is a picture of my SABER bottle on post #106.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, keep in mind if your local stores don't have Amsoil, there may be a dealer working out of his/her homes. The Amsoil website shows dealers, 1 of 2 that were within 2 miles of my house. Thanksgiving I casted 1500 bullets using Amsoil Synthetic Professional and couldn't notice the difference between BPL. I'll use whatever is the easiest for me to get and going 2 miles from my house and paying $3 for an 8oz bottle works for me.

Boolit Master
    I once bought 'KREEN" form Kano Labs, the people that make Kroil. I used it up. The color is similar to BP. Maybe Kreen and synthetic 2 cycle oil mixed together. Does anyone have some to check this out??
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    I still have some BullPlate, but am hording it like my 3rd grade lunch money. I tried the Stihl full synthetic 2 cycle oil mix, and while it is green and not blue, I am very satisfied with the results. They both smoke when they are applied to a hot working mold, but turn into a fine film perfect for preventing lead from sticking. And..... if not used correctly, will migrate EQUALLY into the cavaties of the mold forcing one to spray it out with brake cleaner and re-heat. It may not be exactly Bullplate, but it is close e'nuff.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    wow i just read all 7 pages and ...as a newbie...I still don't have a clue how the stuff original or otherwise is to be aplied to a mold lol and I have never used Bull Plate Lube so I can not compare anthing to it....anyone want to pm me and set me straight?
    thanks in advanced Jonathan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1kshooter View Post
    wow i just read all 7 pages and ...as a newbie...I still don't have a clue how the stuff original or otherwise is to be aplied to a mold lol and I have never used Bull Plate Lube so I can not compare anthing to it....anyone want to pm me and set me straight?
    thanks in advanced Jonathan
    Bring you have your mold up to temperature. Cast a load and cut the sprue but leave the boolits in the mold. Using a Q-tip sparingly apply the lube to the top of the mold and the underside of the sprue plate. Use the other end of the Q-tip to wipe off excess. Then drop the boolits and repeat application on the alignment pins and sockets. You may also apply a small amount to the sprue plate pivot pin. Do NOT get any in the cavities or it will have to be cleaned out. Repeat as required -- usually only every casting session or twice for a long session. Do not clean off after casting session is over.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    An interesting PM I was sent. . .

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher
    Some of us DO know what Bullplate is exactly, down to an available brand. It was expensive to find out, and unless Daniel Congloisi himself reveals it, I will not out of respect to him. I'd appreciate it if you'd quit pushing the issue in open forum, it's disrespectful in principle to Dan and his livelihood, as many of us have explained many times when the subject comes up. The only reason I sought the formula was because I wanted a guaranteed lifetime supply for not only sprue plate lube, but for boolit lube as well, and it takes a lot of Bullplate to make Speed Green.

I've suggested several substitutes that work well, and the two-cycle premix lube you purchased should do pretty well also for sprue plate lube.

Good luck,

Gear
    Um yes, I did quote you that you know what Bullplate is. I don't see why you are repeating yourself on this.

If you don't want to say what it is that is up to you. But it does beg the question, why did you ever say you know what it is in the first place if you did not intend to reveal the information?

Actually, I don't see myself "pushing" anything. Someone mentioned that a member claimed to know what BP was and I dug up the information for him and quoted. . . you. I'm just helpful that way I guess. As far as being disrespectful goes, you're the one claiming to know what his "livelyhood" is made from. Why you chose to do that on an open forum only you know.

As far as my "purchase" goes, I have not made one yet. Perhaps you sent this PM to me in error.

Please do not send me any more PM's on this matter. Thank you.

I am sorry geargnasher but you did post that in the open forum.

Of which really you should not have done unless you did plan to let everyone know what it is.

By saying that you and a few others know but will not inform the others here it is like a school kid saying over and over again I know something you don't know na na na na.

I know we all mess up from time to time but some are just big Boo Boo's lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    This is silly already!! What's the big secret? Why do people get flamed just for asking what BP is? Nobody is crying for Lee Precision with their Lee Liquid Alox and they're also a sponsor here. Someone found out what it is and it's no secret:
    "The formula is Alox-606-55-HF, this is 55% alox 606 cut with High flash point (172 degrees) Mineral Spirits."
    Search for it on this site, that's where I found it.

Someone on this site is selling the stuff and I'm sure Lee Precision isn't happy. They have employees that are being hurt by someone else selling it but it's not a secret forumla. It's something everyone can go out and buy in bulk if they want and repackage it and sell it. There's no patent infringment against Lee since they're just repackaging Alox-606-55-HF.

Why is is ok to spill the beans on LLA and a horrible crime for BP?

Bull Plate Lube is just some synthetic 2 cycle oil, which exact one is the question. There's no secret mix or years of costly research. It's not seal blubber rendered and mixed with moose fat cooked at a special temp then added to something else. The bullshop people have chainsaws, snowmobiles, outboard motors and most likely just grabbed the oil they use and found it works great for sprue plates. Many of us have already tried synthetic 2 cycle oils and found they work just about the same.

If someone knows which oil it is, post it already and be done with it. Nobody is going to get sued and the bullshop people won't be hurt as they're not even in business any more. It's truely time to move on already.
    Last edited by 30yrcaster; 12-29-2011 at 08:19 AM.