Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bull Plate: Substitute again

Boolit Master
    I just found the address, and also a price list posted by a member. Whether Dan still wishes to do business is another issue. Worth a stamp to find out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ShopPrices.jpg

Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LEADHOPPER View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Lotak is speed green with carnuba wax added to it. Dan had posted it here at one time. I want to say it was 2 oz to standard speed green. Don't know if that was for Lotak soft or Lotak hard.

Searched for it and found the post from Dan

Originally Posted by Bullshop
    Add two oz pure carnauba per pound of lube. Stay away from the parafin.
    Pure carnauba flake is available from member Randyrat
    Today I made a batch of Speed Green fron Dan's instructions and then used this to make Lotak per the instructions in this quoted post. It is the exact color of Speed Green, smells more like Carnuba and is a little firmer than Speed Green. Does this sound like Lotak to anyone that has bought & used it?

Now to empty one of the Stars, put in the maybe Lotak and lube some bullets. I figure at the worst I'll have a shiny bore from the Carnuba, the Speed Green works well so nothing to loose.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

What happened to Dan and the Bull Shop???????
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

Husquvarna XP 2-Stroke SYNTHETIC low ash 2-stroke. Even the same color as bullplate and works just as well......for me anyway.

.............on the other hand I bought five bottles of Bullplate when I had the chance so still have some of that too..

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Dan will probly show up again (I hope). Dr. B was on the phone with Dan's wife recently, and they may be taking orders over the phone. Again, I hope.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    You can buy it direct from Kano. www.kanolabs.com or 877-320-5757

Ask for the "trial offer" Silikroil 16.5 oz aerosol $17.00 post paid. Or they will sell you a "test" of 2 aerosol cans @ $17.00 plus postage.

Ed
    Thank you but aerosol cans are too wasteful.

MJ

I need to go to the auto parts store for my Chevy, any suggestions for a sprue plate lube?

MJ

Moderator Emeritus

Anti Seize should work MJ
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I need to go to the auto parts store for my Chevy, any suggestions for a sprue plate lube?

MJ
    A synthetic two cycle oil. I've tried it, smells, looks, color, feels, tastes and works like Bull Plate as near as I can tell.

Ok, I didn't taste it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

To JA15 Nope! but I'm a user. Thanks. GD

Boolit Buddy
    Just a note:

Found some MSDS sheets.

Husqvarna 50wt Bar and Chain Oil
    flash point 475 degrees firepoint 505 degrees

Silicone Oil, High Temperature
    Catalog Numbers: AC174660000, AC174661000, AC174665000
    Company Identification:
    Acros Organics N.V.
    flash point 599 degrees

Couldn't find Husqvarna 2cycle synthetic MSDS.

Amsoil Full Synthetic 2 cycle oils are mostly around 200 degrees. Their other full synthetic oils are around 500 degrees as well.

Other Full Synthetic 2 cycle oils are around 200 degrees ie. Castrol & others. Can't assume just because it's full synthetic 2 cycle oil it is also high temp.
    Last edited by 30yrcaster; 10-26-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: correct innacuracies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Since its problematic (at this moment at least) on the supply of Bull Plate being sold anytime soon , the need on my part for a substitute has been solved.
    Why would it not be available anytime soon? I just sent an email for pricing.

Boolit Master

I have a secret..........I have a sprue plate lube that I have had under wraps for some time now. Out of respect for Dan and Bull Shop I never sold it. BUT Dan ain't here right now and I am. Keep your eyes open for it in the "VENDOR SECTION" Sorry if I hiJacked this thread but I couldn't hold back anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    A synthetic two cycle oil. I've tried it, smells, looks, color, feels, tastes and works like Bull Plate as near as I can tell.

Ok, I didn't taste it.

Rick
    Which one Rick? In my experience, Bullplate is noticeably better than Stihl HP Ultra.

MJ

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not too sure it matters, I bought two different brand names and both are identical in color, feel etc with the Bull Plate. I have no way of knowing if this is what Bull Plate is but so far I can't tell any difference in use. All I did was make sure the bottle said Synthetic so as not to put a petroleum oil on the mold that could burn and leave an ash. I bought the little single use bottles that are measured for 1 gallon of gas.

I hope these threads on Bull Plate don't ruin it for Dan should he return. On the other hand if he doesn't this stuff appears to work.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I think I lost something here.What happened to Bullshop?.Did something unpleasent or was something said on this web site to make him leave?I really don't know what's going on.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    These things work as pivot lube but they don't keep the lead from sticking to the mould and sprueplate. I found the anti-seize also tended to build up and make a mess after a while. May not be too bad if you don't cast lots of bullets but most of my moulds do thousands a year. Haven't tried di-electric grease yet. But then I bought 14 bottles of Bullplate a few years back (it's that good) so I am set for a while.

Are you serious?

I bought one bottle a couple of years ago. I use it regularly and the level is still in the neck of the bottle. This bottle will outlast me by 50 years. How much casting do your do?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I hope these threads on Bull Plate don't ruin it for Dan should he return. On the other hand if he doesn't this stuff appears to work.

Rick
    Rick,

Here's the way I look at it but I'm a capitalist pig. All along I've been saying that Bullplate is the best sprue plate lube I've tried, unfortunately I can't get hold of anyone at Bullshop to fill my order and his website has been down for sometime. I've got to assume if the Bullplate business was that important to Dan, he would have left someone in charge or at least indicated via a webpage when shipping will continue. If he had made an attempt (I dunno, perhaps he did and I missed it) to alert his customers regarding an interruption in service, I never would have inquired about an alternative lube. The price of hosting a website through a reputable hosting company is between 5 and 10 bucks a month these days so that's not an excuse for leaving his customers in the dark. I apologize if he made an announcement regarding his absence here, but I doubt there'd be all this clambering if that was the case.

Anyway, the Stihl HP Ultra is orange colored and runny and is nowhere as good as Bullplate... there, I said it again.

If you don't want to post what you use here, I can appreciate that but a PM would be nice.

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Are you serious?

I bought one bottle a couple of years ago. I use it regularly and the level is still in the neck of the bottle. This bottle will outlast me by 50 years. How much casting do your do?
    In my case, not only am I scraping the Bullplate bottle, I'm trying to get others at the two ranges I frequent to take casting seriously.

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 10-26-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    It's been asked at least twice and no response so, once again, what happened to Bullplate and/or the purveyor thereof?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast