Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bull Plate: Substitute again

Boolit Master

PM me if you want everything to make your own lube, very similar to Speed Green or Lotak...I can sell a package with everything in it including directions in the correct proportions. I'm not ready to start another product line, soon though. If Dan- Bull Shop comes back I will back off respectfully.
    Look for *TAC & TAC #1

I just wish Dan and Tina were back, Dan has a ton of knowledge that used to be shared with all.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you randyrat. Pm incoming!

I just checked with Midway USA on theur prices of Kroil
    13 oz spray ----$16.99
    8 oz liquid-------$ 7.59
    gal----------------$ 59.99.

pop

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popadopa View Post
    I just checked with Midway USA on theur prices of Kroil
    13 oz spray ----$16.99
    8 oz liquid-------$ 7.59
    gal----------------$ 59.99.

pop
    Try Kano Labs direct. Ask for the "Don't Spoil Deal" for a few more bucks than Midway's gallon you'll get more including shipping.

www.kanolabs.com 877-320-5757

Boolit Master
    I got a sample of Amsoil synthetic Marine injector oil today. I tried it out on a mold and it worked quite well. It looks just like Bullplate. The Amsoil had an oil smell and I couldn't smell much from the little bottle of Bullplate.

Banned
    Found the bottle of what I use:

Boolit Master
    Since the mods have said this is now fair play:

Husqvarna XP Professional 2-cycle oil works for me as sprue lube and for boolit lube ingredient. I have tried two other 2-cycle synthetics (royal purple and amsoil) and they did not work quite as well for sprue lube -- smoked more and needed more frequent reapplication.

For grins I got a jug of the ebay sprue lube. It works fine as sprue lube -- maybe a bit better (seems like less often needing re-application) than the Husky XP. I have not tried it as a boolit lube ingredient.
    ph4570

Boolit Grand Master
    I am by no means an oil expert so I will ask- is there that big a difference amongst the various synthetic 2 cycle oils? I know there is a lotof marketing hype but for our purposes is there enough difference to care?

Banned

Lots of difference, Brad. First, "synthetic" is a mis-understood and carelessly thrown around term with regard to two-cycle engine oils. The Automotive Petroleum Institute, the agency responsible for creating, regulating, testing, and certifying automotive lubricants that affect emissions, hasn't established definitions or standards for "synthetic" two-cycle oils, so if it's 1% synthetic polymer content it's legal to advertise it as "synthetic". Each manufacturer has its own standards for this, and they're all different. Racing oils are a compromise compared to oils that promote longevity, the classic paradox of maximum performance vs. maximum trouble-free life means formulas vary drastically, and the amount of ash/detergents/dispersants/anti-seize compounds etc. means more than whether the oil is synthetic or not, or the synthetic base percentage.

There are several grades of two-cycle oil which are standardized under the API "TC" designation that identifies their intended use for "other than marine", since marine liquid-cooled engines require totally different forumlas to work with the higher piston temps. It's a trade-off between ash buildup and ring seizure. TW-WII and -W3 oils are for air-cooled engines and have high detergent levels and low antioxidant/dispersant levels, but as far as I can tell the API has no criterion for synthetic base in either class.

It's really complicated, I know. If you're using two-cycle oil for its intended purpose, it matters a LOT that you use exactly the right grade/type of oil for the application. As for boolit lube and sprue plate lube, I doubt it makes that much difference.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok, for our purposes it most likely doesn't matter. That is what I was looking for.
    I figured that someone would know. I was not aware that there were different oils for marine engines. Shows how little I use 2 cycle oil doesn't it?

I may just have to try a bit of speed greenish lube just to try it. Don't know why, I have pounds of lube already. It what the heck, I may try it anyhow.

Thanks Gear, this is why the world always will need wrench turners.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    I got a sample of Amsoil synthetic Marine injector oil today. I tried it out on a mold and it worked quite well. It looks just like Bullplate. The Amsoil had an oil smell and I couldn't smell much from the little bottle of Bullplate.

Looks like you may be onto the bull plate formula!

Banned

I once had some analized at the local paper mills lab. Best he could come up with is that it was either power stearing fluid or synthetic oil. Like was said the only way your really going to find out is to have it analized at some petrolium lab that the tech knows enough about lubricants to decifer the results. I did it out of curiousity. I dont make lube out of it and just use it for mold lube so a small bottle last so long its silly to worry about the cost of buying it from bullshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    That just rubs me very, very wrong. I have a tip for you, that will get you what you want much faster than your entitlement mentality will: Go visit some establishments that sell products such as you've been recommended, buy a variety of things that you think or we think might work, and set about testing them. This is neither expensive, nor all that time consuming if you have a specific goal in mind and a knack for developing effective and efficient testing methods. As for your boolit lube, several have shared their experiences already with certain lubes and beeswax, perhaps you should go spend $2 on a bottle of premix and make something akin to Speed Green, and go actually SHOOT IT and see if it meets your expectations. That's how this was discovered in the first place, in fact how MANY things taken for granted here came about: Somebody had an idea and followed through with experiments to test it. I already have borrowed a proven lube formula from a very kind gentleman who shared his formula freely some years ago. I've sought and found several good products that function well as sprue plate lubricants at my house, try some of them and see. If you really want to know what's in Bullplate, I'll give you a teaspoon of it and you can have it analyzed, but you still won't be happy with that because you'll have to have a pretty decent background in industrial chemistry to translate the analysis into "a" product you can go buy.

Gear

Boolit Master
    its silly to worry about the cost of buying it from bullshop.

Indeed it is considering none is for sale, hence this entire 6 page thread.

If Bullshop comes up active, well and good. If not, its a matter of time
    until Nuff is Nuff, and the experts on this board distill what is the best
    alternative to Bull Plate.

Time marches on and the world turns... Dan needs to fish or cut bait with
    a decision regarding he is, is not coming back into business.

Boolit Master
    Dan needs to fish or cut bait with

I wonder if the Thought Police will get me for saying that?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Dan needs to fish or cut bait with

I wonder if the Thought Police will get me for saying that?
    Why does Dan owe you , or anyone else, anything? He runs a small business from his home. He appears to be having a rough time right now. He has bigger fish to fry right now than worrying about all of us pissing and moaning about a lack of Bullplate.

Cut the guy a brake, we don't know what is going on, do we?

Boolit Master
    Just stating the obvious , we did get 6 pages of banter and interest.

Take it any way you want but its not meant to be mean or nothing, just
    shake the tree for some definitive answers of where this product is or is
    not going.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anying he needs to fish or cut bait implies he "has" to let us know or make a decision. I do t see it that way. Small businesses go away all the time with littler know warning or word.
    Dan lives Putin the boonies. Word is he is having some troubles at home. I would hope he is worried about his own family and his own needs rather than my need for a bottle of sprue line.
    Many alternates have been listed. People are having sucess with them. I plan to try one of them soon.

Yes, we have a lot of interest and banter. Does that mean Dan "has" to let us know what is going on? I don't think so. I prefer to think it is time for us all to move on and find a way to be by without the product. It certainly isn't the only thing out there that works.

The point that Milprileb is trying to make I think is that we really know nothing at all. As in nobody took the time to explain that something is going on and that they would be out of pocket for such and such amount of time but would keep us informed.

Some simply may feel hurt as in some or many do not consider this just a message board but more of an outreaching family by being left in the dark.

For myself I do not know anything as well. But I do wish the best for Dan and his family no matter what they are trying to accomplish.

On the flip coin if someone actually knows what will work instead it would be nice if they let us in on it since there has been no information of any kind given to the good people here as if or when or even if we will ever see the product again.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    How many different people have posted what they use with equal sucess? At least 4 or 5. I just don't see the big deal- people have mentioned substitutes but nobody will be satisfied until it is stated for absolute retain what exactly Dan used.

I plan to get some of the stuff 357maximun said he uses and give it a go. I have a feeling I will be quite satisfied.

Boolit Master
    And Dan doesn't "owe" anyone an answer to what Bullplate lube is. It's his, it's Bullplate. If you want the genuine article in the round-bottomed bottle, you'll patiently wait, or try substitutes until you find something else that works for you.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words