Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bull Plate: Substitute again

Boolit Master

Bull Plate: Substitute again

Since its problematic (at this moment at least) on the supply of Bull Plate being sold anytime soon , the need on my part for a substitute has been solved.

I took the advice of one of our members and got some Dielectric Grease. Now its not labeled as Silicone Dielectric Grease which is the nomenclature recommended. All I could find was Permatex Dielectric Grease.

However the Permatex stuff worked like a champ.

Is it better than Bull Plate... can't say but it sure works fine for me.

I will try Bull Plate if ever it surfaces again for sale but for now.... I am just fine
    with the Permatex substitute.

I think Onadaga was the handle of the member who recommended the DE silicone
    grease.

Permatex Anti-sieze works well also.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

These things work as pivot lube but they don't keep the lead from sticking to the mould and sprueplate. I found the anti-seize also tended to build up and make a mess after a while. May not be too bad if you don't cast lots of bullets but most of my moulds do thousands a year. Haven't tried di-electric grease yet. But then I bought 14 bottles of Bullplate a few years back (it's that good) so I am set for a while.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't you know it the 2 most messy things you can buy.
    Some how when it comes to dielectric grease i get it all over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman456 View Post
    Wouldn't you know it the 2 most messy things you can buy.
    Some how when it comes to dielectric grease i get it all over everything.
    Anti-sieze is the same way. Get a speck on your finger and before long it is from your ears to your *******!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using T.C. bore butter, The yellow wax. Works so so but smells really good.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    These things work as pivot lube but they don't keep the lead from sticking to the mould and sprueplate. I found the anti-seize also tended to build up and make a mess after a while. May not be too bad if you don't cast lots of bullets but most of my moulds do thousands a year. Haven't tried di-electric grease yet. But then I bought 14 bottles of Bullplate a few years back (it's that good) so I am set for a while.
    My experience as well with Permatex. I still got lead sticking and some galling on occasion and would have to take some wet/dry fine grit sandpaper to get the buildup off.

I love the stuff for when I'm working on the car or boat and need "guaranteed" anti-seize. I'm still working on the small bottle of the stuff I bought some fifteen/twenty years ago--and it's still over half-full.

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    Anti-sieze is the same way. Get a speck on your finger and before long it is from your ears to your *******!
    Ain't THAT THE TRUTH!

Banned

The anti-sieze compound is powdered nickel in a petroleum grease base, it is a lousy lubricant but is excellent at preventing galvanic seizure, such as occurs when steel bolts and aluminum or bronze housings are subjected to salt water, or just about any time aluminum and steel are pressed together under pressure. It isn't intended to be a film lubricant for moving parts. If it works for you, great, but it doesn't work for me except on the threads of the sprue plate pivot screws on Lee moulds.

Onandaga was the first person I heard of using the dielectric silicone grease, and it does pretty well. I've used Sprayway #936 and #945 silicone spray lubricants since before I knew Bullplate existed, and it works very well if reapplied every session, and again after about every hundred pours. I tried the dielectric grease, it works pretty well too. The "grease" is nothing more than the silicone oil (polydimethylsiloxane) mixed about 50/50 with fumed silica to make a paste. One thing about the dielectric grease, it doesn't have ANY petroleum hydrocarbon junk in it like hexane that the sprays have.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I've used Sprayway #936 and #945 silicone spray lubricants since before I knew Bullplate existed...

Gear
    I think you mean 946 rather than 936?

I can't remember which one of 946 or 945 I've tried but it still didn't work as well as Bullplate of which I've only got a couple drops remaining. Is there a technique that needs to be followed when using the Sprayway lubricants? 945 comes in a white can and 946, a red one. I think I bought the 945.

Thanks,
    MJ

Actually, this is the stuff I've used, not Sprayway's product. It's hard to find anything of quality where I live and apologize for any confusion. The brand name is Johnsen's from an O'Reilly's auto parts store and I wouldn't recommend it to a serious caster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21mspdTMkrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg  
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 10-22-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: CORRECTION NECESSARY

Banned

anti sieze comes in more than the nickle it also comes as copper,aluminum,blue moly........

Boolit Master
    I've been using this silicone liquid I came across years ago. It's very thick. It works great.

Before I started casting, my neighbor came over with a three gallon container of liquid silicone. I was tripping over it and never used it. I got rid of it. Who knew???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I think you mean 946 rather than 936?

I can't remember which one of 946 or 945 I've tried but it still didn't work as well as Bullplate of which I've only got a couple drops remaining. Is there a technique that needs to be followed when using the Sprayway lubricants? 945 comes in a white can and 946, a red one. I think I bought the 945.

Thanks,
    MJ
    They've changed the label and name of #936 several times, but it's the right stuff. #945 and #946 are also silicone spray lubes, but the 946 has more hydrocarbon solvents IIRC, that's why I didn't mention it.

Here's the current iteration of #936: http://www.spraywayinc.com/products.php?id=936

Here's one of the previous labels: http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...T6AmlMWX6faWe7

Here's #945: http://www.spraywayinc.com/products.php?id=945

Here's #946: http://www.spraywayinc.com/products.php?id=946

Gear

Boolit Master

bull plate it the oil you use in the 2 cyl engines but dont in cavs Kroil is better

So, no opinions on the shock oil, eh?

I'd like to apply the silicone with more control than an aerosol can provide.

I'd like to try the product in post#11 but can seem to find anything similar.

MJ

In Remembrance
    Get on eBay and search for 'bullet lube'.
    Scroll till you see a product described as Bullet Mold Sprue Plate/Pin Lube - 2 oz.
    I know that ph4570 bought some to try and he said it seems just like Bullplate, to him.

I hate to comment on this subject because the last time I did so I got a load of dung from a guy who is an enemy if Dan's.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    NEI sold an "SP LUBE" water soluble silicone die lubricant" for their moulds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    bull plate it the oil you use in the 2 cyl engines but dont in cavs Kroil is better
    Anyone know if this is true? Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master

As much as I like Bull Plate for sprue plate/alignment pin lube, I use it mostly for my version of Speed Green. I have substituted 2 cycle motor oil for the Bull Plate (same recipe) and the results are, so far, about as good as the original. Best results so far are some very hot loads (slightly over max.) of 155 gr. SWC, cast of wheel Weights, lubed with my Speed Green, shot in my 4" Taurus .357, and no leading at all. I still have two bottles of Bull Plate left, and when that's gone I'm hoping the original Bull Plate will be available again...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    As much as I like Bull Plate for sprue plate/alignment pin lube, I use it mostly for my version of Speed Green. I have substituted 2 cycle motor oil for the Bull Plate (same recipe) and the results are, so far, about as good as the original. Best results so far are some very hot loads (slightly over max.) of 155 gr. SWC, cast of wheel Weights, lubed with my Speed Green, shot in my 4" Taurus .357, and no leading at all. I still have two bottles of Bull Plate left, and when that's gone I'm hoping the original Bull Plate will be available again...
    mdi,
    Care to share your recipe for Speed Green? I would like to try it. Do you use any particular brand of 2 cycle motor oil for it? Synthetic?

Thanks.
    ph4570

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast