Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman 45 or 450 better?

Boolit Master

Lyman 45 or 450 better?

Which of these two would you pick and why? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Too easy. Get the 450 if the price is anywhere near the same. I have a 45, it's rusty, it probably has other issues, but it was CHEAP and I don't plan to load a lot. The 450 has a better (IMHO) die retention system, etc. I see 45's listed all the time for just a few bucks less that a new 4500 will set me back (after shipping) from Midway. And make sure the die sets you buy are the new style with the tapered entry.

Boolit Master

I've not used the 450, but have 3 45's. I like them for most of my sizing, I bought them because (at the time) used ones were cheap, and I wanted to keep different lube in them. Also have a LAM II for hard lubes.

Doug

I use both, each has it's benefits. The 450 is stronger, has more leverage, and so is better for larger, harder, bullets. The 45 retains it's dies flush with the top of the casting, with a set screw, and so it's easier to remove short bullets from the dies. This is more difficult with the 450, the dies being held lower, due to the retaining nut. The 45 has a pressure nut(piston) designed before the advent of O-rings, and tends to leak. This is easily remedied by installing the pressure nut from a 450, which is the same dia. and thread size.
    Morgan

Boolit Master

OK, somebody has to say it... Why not get a Star and get it over with?? That way you won't have to get the Star later and let the Lyman sit.... JMO enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

I prefer the 45.

Besides the simpler die removal,
    Of the several of each I have owned,
    the 45's seem to be machined closer to spec. than the 450's.
    the end result is when the die and top punch are installed,
    they don't line up perfect.
    Tom has a photo on his website that shows exactly what I'm talking about.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/topPunch.php

If you go with a 45,
    I prefer the older style dies without the o-ring,
    they are larger and fit better.
    I hate that O-ring...but it is necessary on the newer dies
    because they are smaller.

with all this said, I do have one 450 that has perfect allignment.
    when looking at any used Lyman or RCBS lubersizer,
    if there is a matching die and top punch installed,
    you can easily see if it has good allignment or not.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    OK, somebody has to say it... Why not get a Star and get it over with?? That way you won't have to get the Star later and let the Lyman sit.... JMO enjoy Mike
    Because the Star takes too long to change from one bullet to another. Even if you use the same dia. die for different style bullets, you have to change out the birdshot to match the grease grooves. Then there's the adjusting of the stroke for different length bullets. I've got two Stars(Not Magmas), I keep them set up with heaters, for my .38 and .45 wadcutters, and I still use my 450's for all other sizing. I've got one 450 set up with a Midway heater and hard lube, and the other with 50-50 Alox-Beeswax. If I had to limit myself to one sizer, I'd get rid of the Stars.

Morgan

Boolit Master
    thanks for the responses, typical price for a complete 450 in good shape?

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    thanks for the responses, typical price for a complete 450 in good shape?
    Just checked E-bay's completed auctions, and they seem to run $50-$60.

Morgan

the 45 ... it ,as noted ,may not be quite as strong and not have as much leverage but the parallel rods offer a straighter shot ( so to speak ) the ease of die changes is also nice , the piston upgrade is simple and cheap and a sweet one is tool to enjoy ( and a lil oil goes a long ways ) the original 450 should have the handle upgraded to the newer style , the 4500 comes with it , that and the heater hook up is the only advantage of the 4500 IMHO over the 450 ,
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

I started with a 45 and upgraded to a 450 and now have three of them. The linkage on the 450 as well as the casting is much more sturdy and requires less attention. The 450 is a stronger machine over all.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    anyone know why they quit making a 54 maxi ball mold ????? or where i might find or borrow one ????

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Try E-Bay, there's 3 available right now.

Banned
    Well, I have a #45, a #450 & a Modern Bond (Similar to the Lyman #1) & they all work well. Been a while since I wrote this post. I do like the #45 the best. The 450 "is" stronger but I really like the ease of setup & the fact that the dies are flush with the top on the #45.
    Last edited by Pigslayer; 10-31-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I vote 450 over 45. In my experience the 45 set screw retention arrangement cants the sizer die so that boolits are not sized concentrically. I use the Louverin 30's a lot, and my 30-30 target loads ran about an inch tighter using a 450 versus my old 45. In either case, I recommend the perfessors modified seating stems--way good and very clever, and at a cheap price. Having recently seen a couple belonging to my friend Neil, I will be ordering several soon as I get off my duff and figure out just exactly which ones I need.

Banned
    Bidding on my 2nd #45 now. Wish me luck. I like the #45 best of all.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the geometry of the center mounted lever linkage on the 450/4500 better than the side mounted lever of the 45.