WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Excel Arms .30 Carbine X-30R

Excel Arms .30 Carbine X-30R

Hey .30 Carbine fans! Anybody heard about this?
    http://www.excelarms.com/rifles/x30rrifle.html

I've seen these guys around for a few years. They had a neat looking .22 Magnum that they've now made in 5.7x28 (which I thought was a no brainer), but now, they make a series of rifles in .22 Mag, 5.7x28, and .30 Carbine, which I think is exciting.

I cast for my beloved Underwood M1, but the gas system is notorious for Lead build up (although it hasn't been a problem for me so far). A modern, "delayed blowback" (no gas system, I assume) rifle in .30 Carbine that takes cheap and plentiful M1 Carbine magazines, that weighs about the same as an M1 and costs about the same as a Mil-Surp GI or a new cast clone? Yes, please!
    I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL! Why do business with people who hate you?
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot a lot of M1 Carbines and even M2s on FA with cast bullets and only had one give any leading problems with the gas system. That one had a chip/burr that caused the problem. Fire lapping cured the problem.

Sounds interesting but the "delayed blowback" operation may limit functional reliability to certain levels of loads. That's pretty much the case with M1 Carbines anyways.....this seems like a pretty neet concept, especially for those who like the M16 ergonomics. Would be interesting to play with one......

Larry Gibson

I'm also wondering about what pressures I can load the rounds to for this little gun. I guess the only way to find out is to save my pennies and buy one . I bet it works fine at M1 Carbine pressures, I just wonder if it can handle a little more. They don't elaborate on the mechanism. It could be a Browning type setup which uses a recoiling barrel or something.

I really wanted one of those AR's in .30 Carbine that Olympic Arms made for, like, a year. I talked to them at the SHOT show, and they said they worked great, but they were a total sales flop, so they dropped 'em. I hope this isn't the case with this new one.
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

Boolit Master
    Just me, but why?

Umm, because guns are fun, and I like rifles that I can shoot at indoor pistol ranges when it's raining outside and the bays at the gun club are flooded, or when it's 95°F and 100% Humidity outside. I like rifles that I can cast for and use soft lead so I don't have to use all my precious Linotype and Tin. I like shooting wild pigs and .30 Carbine does a very good job. I don't need a license and I don't have to wait for a season.

Boolit Master
    No I haven't till now. I will say it does look kinda neat and fun though.

Boolit Master

I really love the .30 carbine. I shot about a zillion 3118s through mine in the '60s. They call it the 311008 now days. never had a bit of trouble with leading ( or anything else for that matter.)

That said, the .30 carbine is a short range underpowered weapon and I certainly would not buy one for hunting or defense. It was marginal on jackrabbits and cruel on anything larger.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

armed_partisan

I'm also wondering about what pressures I can load the rounds to for this little gun. I guess the only way to find out is to save my pennies and buy one . I bet it works fine at M1 Carbine pressures, I just wonder if it can handle a little more. They don't elaborate on the mechanism. It could be a Browning type setup which uses a recoiling barrel or something.

I'd bet the delayed blowback semi auto functioning system (specified in the description) is designed around the SAAMI MAP of 40,000 psi for the .30 carbine. With proper bullets, even cast ones, there really isn't any need for "a little" more. I've used the 313631 GC'd SWC cast of WWs+2% tin and HP'd with a 1/8" Forster HP tool on rock chucks, rabbits and coyotes with complete success. I also killed 7 deer (when it was legal to use) with 1 shot each using the 100 gr Hornady HJs. Additional I carried and used one "in anger" in SEA and found, just as Lt. Col. George did in WWII, that if the bullet was put where it belonged it did the job.

There are a couple very good commercial SP loads that are excellent for self/home defense. The 90 gr Hornady XTP (.309) at 2100 fps gives up nothing in the home defense department. Besides, a M1 Carbine garners far less "scruteny" in such situations. Quite frankly for such I've never felt "undergunned". Simply compare the ballistics of the .38/.357/9mm to the .30 Carbine. Even the 9mm in a subgun or carbine doesn't compare to the .30 Carbine.

I like my M1 Carbines and would like to see a report on this rifle if you get one.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-17-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Master

I just purchased a 300 Blackout chambered AR from Aaron Forstner of Delta Company Arms. Its a 30 Carbine with muscles...

It uses AR-15 Magazines and can match or beat 30 Carbine ballistics using reformed 223 Remington cases.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Oh, but don't you know, that AR will give you the appearence of a war monger or drug dealer!!!!

Just kidding, let us know how it does please.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Isn't Excell the company that made the 22mag semi-auto pistol that has feeding and other problem?
    Googled it and it looks like the same company. Saw a you-tube video where the rims were blowing out on the ammo because the breech was unlocking too soon.

I'll have to see if there are any reports on this rifle.

If it was me I would invest in a military m-1 carbine as they are a known excellent functioning rifle for probably a little less or the same money.

They are making this in a pistol also.

And Bruce is right about the Blackout/ Whisper in an AR. can do everything the 30 carbine can plus way more.

Did a search and other than the Excell and this website no info.
    Last edited by leadman; 11-06-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Banned

looks cool but for near a grand id probably opt for a 9mm or 40sw ar. brass is cheaper and easier to find and more molds are available. Plus you get the advantage of a bigger heavier bullet. For a grand i can buy a real nice example of the real thing. Now if it were 500 bucks you might get me thinking.

Boolit Master

I have a 7.62x39 upper, works flawlessly, can be loaded with lead or jacketed, and shoots pretty good with cheap surplus ammo. I have a friend who had an upper in this same caliber that was set up to shoot sub-sonic. He never used lead in his ,but I don't see why it wouldn't work. He used 220 grain sierra matchkings and got good accuracy.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Oh, but don't you know, that AR will give you the appearence of a war monger or drug dealer!!!!

Just kidding, let us know how it does please.

Larry Gibson
    Took my 300 BLK Carbine out deer hunting today and got a "Wow" out of the local Game Warden when he stopped me as I was walking in from the woods with it. He was pleased to see I was even making a point of using a 5-shot magazine for the rifle to comply with NY hunting regulations. And he fell in love with the idea of a 30 caliber AR.

I did jump a large doe out of a stand of swamp grass today but since I only have a buck tag, she got a wave and a salute from my cap.

It shot a sub-MOA 5-shot group at 100 yards (2200fps with 19gr H110 and a 123gr J-word) Monday when I mounted a scope on the rifle in preparation for today's hunt.

Bruce

Boolit Grand Master

Bruce, Can tell you for sure the right bullet out of your Blackout will kill deer. No problems with the 125gr Ballistic Tip at about the same velocity.

I got about the same exclamation from a warden when he asked what I was carrying about 10 years ago. The young guy had never seen an 1891 Arg. Mauser.

Boolit Master

.310 123gr Hornady Softpoint resized to .308 and yes it's a winner in all my 30 (resized) and 31 (stock) caliber rifles. Light Recoil and Accurate

Bruce

I've already got an SKS and a Remington Model 799 in 7.62x39, and the .300 Whisper/Blackout never interested me beyond use with suppressors, which are illegal to hunt with here in FL. As for Lloyd's suggestion (or preference) to opt for 9mm or .40 S&W instead, I guarentee you there is no SAFE load in either of those calibers which will hold a candle to the .30 Carbine in performance out of a carbine with a barrel of similar length. We're talking the .32-20/.327 Federal Magnum autoloading round here people!

Larry Gibson: I will post a review here if I can find one to buy. According to my source, SAAMI lists .30 Carbine at 46,412 PSI, which is damn near the .327 Federal Magnum (originally 50Kpsi), so I think I can squeeze out more than my Underwood can manage. It gets sticky if you cross 38Kpsi or so.