Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30 M1 Carbine w/ 2400 Lyman or Lee load???

Boolit Buddy

30 M1 Carbine w/ 2400 Lyman or Lee load???

I'm planning to reload for my M1 Carbine using a 100g lead boolit with 2400 powder.

The Lee book gives a starting load of 10.2 grains and a never exceed load of 10.3 grains.

Lyman starts with 11.0 grains and never exceed of 12.5 (compressed).

Both manuals developed their loads with about a 110g lead boolit.

The wide difference seems odd to me.

I don't understand the difference in Lee vs. Lyman loads but am pretty new with smokeless. I have been reloading BP cartridges for a while and have started with .45 ACP with good luck.

Boolit Master
    I don't remember what book I got my charge from, but it is with the 110 bullet and 12-12.5 gr 2400.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Each company used their own chamber/barrel, barrel length, bullets, lot of powder, testing equipment, methods of testing, atmospheric conditions, etc,......all play a part, some more than others.

Just take load data as a guide.....not a Bible.

Banned

lee just found a load and published it.
    my carbine wouldn't even work with 10 grs of 2400.
    i'm more like 11 sumthin and a magnum sr primer.

Boolit Grand Master

Stick with Lyman's data if you're using a GC'd bullet, Lee's if it is a PB'd bullet, at least for the .30 carbine data given.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I bought a plain base mould on a group buy here several years ago. I cast my .30 Carbine bullets HARD with a lot of monotype, so they come out at about 105gr. I use 12.5gr of 2400 exclusively with it.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    I've noticed that most Lee loads are on the light side. I've found 11.7 gr 2400 to be the most accurate load for my carbine with any GC boolit.

Boolit Grand Master
    What Will said, in spades.
    Lee's load barely functions in my old Inland, and then only if very well lubed. I use 11.5 grains 2400 with a 311-316 GC and 10.5 grains with a 311-465 for much better reliability. The Louverin 122 grainer is the most accurate--which ain't saying much.

Boolit Man
    I use a rcbs 82009 30-115-SP sized at .311 but still not satisfied. (100meter range)

the bore is .310

Still looking 4 the right charge , using PRB PCL512, around 12 grain and cci small rifle primers.

hercules 2400 is a bit faster then the pcl 512.Also over here N110 is used a lot and it a tad slower than H110.
    Last edited by Dutchie; 10-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Boolit Master

the 10 makes a nice load for the Ruger pistol 12gr works for carbine. Big thing is you cant crimp much and 12grs may let boolit move under recoil depends on brass
    I am with the 11.5 seems to work for me

Boolit Master

Go with the Lyman data and expect compressed loads with about all their loads. In cold weather (coming up quickly now), you might experience some functioning problems even with their loads.

I loaded a batch of .30 Carbine late last summer and me and #2 son were shooting a couple of "beans" over Christmas and a lot of it refused to function because of the cold weather. This summer, it shot fine.

Lyman use to publish a load for 4759 for the .30 Carbine. I have never been able to get their recommended load in the case...compressed or not.....or get it to function at all with 4759./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

T'will function with H110. As always, don't load H110 down (yup it'll werk he,he).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

+1 with leftiye, use h110 as it works. Many years past i worked with h4227, 2400 and a couple other powders. Once I started using H110 I quit on all the others in the .30 Carbine. My carbines really like the 313631 105 gr GC'd SWC for the 32 H&R. I cast them of WWs, size at .309 and load over 14 gr H110 for 1950 fps out of my M1 Carbines. I HP them with the 1/8" Forster HP tool. makes deadly coyote medicine when calling coyotes.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-17-2011 at 05:49 PM.