MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Furlough

Boolit Grand Master

Furlough

I'm furloughed. Three weeks now. Deck sealed, wood pile squared away, the rest of the wood split and stacked,
    a lot of lingering stuff we don't need trashed.

4 days at the range a week for sure. Range cleanup day today, no shooting, so 5 days this week.
    I'm shooting excess ammo, some of it loaded more than 20 years ago. I've got plenty of new Chronograph data,
    sights adjusted, brass sorted, old brass scrapped.

Boolits sized and lubed, boolits I won't use in the re-melt pile. Small batch's of remnant powder loaded up, burned on the curb, or poured on the lawn as fertilizer. General clean up of reloading bench.

I still hope next week is the last furlough week.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Well done
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I hope the unemployment checks keep coming. Both my wife and I are in healthcare and everyone is getting cut. She's out of work and they are going to let go of 1400 people at my place of employment in the next few months.

Furloughs will turn into firings. Things are not getting better. 30 million out of work means little chance of getting a job.

Stock up on ammo before the whole US starts to look like Minneapolis.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I hope the unemployment checks keep coming. Both my wife and I are in healthcare and everyone is getting cut. She's out of work and they are going to let go of 1400 people at my place of employment in the next few months.

Furloughs will turn into firings. Things are not getting better. 30 million out of work means little chance of getting a job.

Stock up on ammo before the whole US starts to look like Minneapolis.
    Man that has got to be tough.
    Hang in there people are starting to go back to work here , hopefully your jobs will open back up soon.

Boolit Master

I am starting a refinish job on a Remington 721 stock. Finish was beginning to flake off in spots. One thing I found out, this rifle was made in 1957 and it has he hardest finish I have ever encountered and I have been re-finishing stocks for over 60 years(off and on). I normally don't sand on a stock but 0000 steel wool takes forever to cut through the finish. I finally went to hand sanding with 120 sandpaper and it is still slow going. I don't use a sander or even a block of wood as I don't want to cut into the wood, just remove the finish. Right now I am at a standstill as I am waiting on a shipment of Lin Speed from Brownells and this virus thing has slowed down shipments. The finish has finally been removed and the stain has been applied and dried. And the stain has been rubbed out good with a course rag. It will be next week some time before the Lin Speed gets here. Cabin fever is hard to beat though, and I think it is more of a thought that I shouldn't be out running around in public more than being cooped up that is causing the let down feeling. james

Boolit Master
    I have removed stubborn finishes using a very sharp knife as a scraper or a piece of broken glass.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is it one of the early epoxy/polymer finishes on the 721??
    Is there any solvent for it??

I ask because there wa a similar thread years back. The finish had to be meticulously scraped off.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I was off for almost 7 weeks. Loved every minute of it. Bought 4 guns and geared up and loaded 2 new calibers. 8MM Nambu was a ordeal. 5 weeks and $480 later, I loaded my first rounds last night. They better shoot damn good.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Is it one of the early epoxy/polymer finishes on the 721??
    Is there any solvent for it??

I ask because there wa a similar thread years back. The finish had to be meticulously scraped off.

Shiloh
    Hard to get but if you can get real MEK soaking the stock in MEK will remove any finish.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    As far east as one can go in North America
    Being military i have not been affected financially, but have not missed being at work at all. I`m not scheduled to be back to work until the end of June, but having a taste of “retirement”, after 33 years i`m not sure how much longer i`ll be at it. I do feel for everyone that is affected by job loss among other difficulties this has brought on, I have several family members that we are helping out during this time.

I have been casting and loading up several different .303 Brit loads, including paper patch, powder coated and black powder loads. The 303 was originally a black powder loaded cartridge, though used in an entirely different firearm. Have not tested any of these, been concentrating on muzzleloaders