Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: short 45-70 brass

Boolit Master

short 45-70 brass

im thinking about shorting some 45-70 brass by 3/16 of an inch. this is to make it legal in indiana deer season. my question is how will the affect the powder charge. will i need to reduce it and how much? im not looking for hot loads. thinks bill

Boolit Master
    I knocked about a .10" off my brass so I could use a RD-.460-350 with my short throated #1.
    Of course, that's a lot less than 3/16", and absolute top end in that #1 is more than I really want anyhow. Right now I'm hitting 2,000fps with 55grn 3031.
    FWIW.

What kind of rifle are you shooting?

Boolit Master
    What are you shooting it in? Actually the results would be similar to shooting a 35-70 in a 45-90 chamber which contrary to what I have read works just fine in the two rifles I tried it in. As for loads I would reduce the load by the amount of case capacity that you are loosing but if you are shooting a long bullet which in a 45-70 would have about half an inch in the case just seat it out to its original length and leave some lube grooves showing and then all you need to do is use the same powder charge you use now as the powder chamber would be the same size.

Boolit Master

im shooting it in a h & r buffalo classic

Boolit Master
    I had a Win Model 1886 in 45-90, but shot 45-70 with the boolit seated out and got good accuracy with no problems. What you are suggesting would not be much different.

Boolit Master

What your talking about is shooting a 45-60 in a 45-70 chamber. 45-60 has a case length of 1.890" instead of the 2.100" of the 45-70. . Be like shooting a 22 short in a long rifle chamber.
    The only load I have listed is 25 grains of 4198 with a 300 grain bullet. This load is intended for use in the 1876 Winchester.

wgr, Hornady .45-70 brass for some reason is measurably shorter than 2.10". Maybe that's a place to start?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    wgr, Hornady .45-70 brass for some reason is measurably shorter than 2.10". Maybe that's a place to start?
    yes i been trying to find some thinks

I had to shorten some to shoot Hornadys "Leverevolution" bullets.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezershooter View Post
    I had to shorten some to shoot Hornadys "Leverevolution" bullets.
    That must be why the Hornady brass is so short. How else could they use a long[er] "spitzer" type and still not exceed 2.55" OAL for the .45-70?

Try Starline. Most of their .45-70 brass is well under2.0 inch, more on the order of 1.85.

If you seat your bullets out you can achieve the same combustion volume, and have exactly the same ballistics. The shortened case might expose one of your lube grooves, so just be careful to keep your ammo clean.

Boolit Master

well i dont think ill use good brass. i have some that has neck damage and small splits

Boolit Master

Looks like the 45-50 Peabody would work at 1.56", wonder where to get the gun and ammo. Is there any reason for having a law that limits the case length?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Looks like the 45-50 Peabody would work at 1.56", wonder where to get the gun and ammo. Is there any reason for having a law that limits the case length?
    have to ask the law makers about the limits on case length. its really nuts i mean you can use a 30-06 in a pistol. i would like to see all stright wall cases legal

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    When you figure out the case length you want to use to be legal, drop down to 300/350 grain cast boolits of the correct diameter, load those cut downs with necksizing and seating in a 45 colt dies and look to 45-60 load data for guidance. A short case to meet those reg specs will almost make 45-70 light bullet specs in a Marlin lever.

Figure out the usable ffg case volume in grains and then figure 29% of that will be a IMR 4198 load, as a starter. That's the Donnelly formula.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    The Leverevolution was shortened becuase the gummy tips were pushing COAL just a little to much for reliable feed. They also have short for the 450 Marlin. The flat nose 405 from Hornady are standard length. If you have some tired front ends on standard lentgh would be the perfect dnor for shorties. Gtek

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Try Starline. Most of their .45-70 brass is well under2.0 inch, more on the order of 1.85.
    Dan, do you have support to back up your post because I shoot Starline 45-70 brass exclusively, over 1000+ rounds annually? You might want to read this because your numbers are in left field - wrong ...
    http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11848

Even with work hardened Starline brass after many reloads, I have never had a case shorter than 2.093. Then I use a KAL-MAX stretcher to lengthen them back up to 2.10, anneal them and then start over again
    And 45-70 SAMMI maximum length is 2.10 not 2.0
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-03-2011 at 12:20 AM.
    Regards
    John

Banned

The 45 colts from Hornady are short also. 1.23"

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like I'll never go hunting in Indiana, thanks for reminding me how good we have it in Texas. I have 5 or 6 guns that are legal in IN but I've never seriously considered most of them as hunting firearms. Odd.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast