Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baikal Single Shot rifle.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Baikal Single Shot rifle.

I saw one of these little critters today in 308. hammer forged barrel, reasonable set of sights and a rib to mount a scope on, like new and cheap. Looks like a stoutly made no nonesense working rifle. It was pretty slim and light, it would have to bit with big loads! Anybody had anything to do with these?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have not seen their rifles but I have an over/under 12ga from Baikal. Very tight lockup and shoots very well. Better quality the you would expect for the price. Mine was imported by EAA before Remington imported them under the Spartan name.

Boolit Mold
    I got a single shot 410 from wal mart for a grand son . What a pice of JUNK

Boolit Master
    I picked up an O/U 410 for my daughter, so far it's been a great gun. Also before Spartan.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one in .308 Win.

I have one in .308 Winchester. Mine shoots and looks great. No complaints. I've shot a good bit of cast in mine. My trigger is surprisingly good, a clean, crisp 3.75 lbs. My rifle will " cloverleaf " 3 cast bullets at 50 yards, I haven't had an opportunity to take it out to 100 yards yet, but I certainly plan to.

[IMG][/IMG]

My barrel is certainly " cast bullet friendly ."

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a Leu. 2 X 7 Variable Vari X II on mine. Look close in the photo below and you'll see the word........" Remington "

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Ben; 02-08-2007 at 01:05 AM.

They are funny looking bit of gear, but i like them, I've always been attracted to Russian stuff, real plain jane, but all the important stuff is right on the money. I had a Russian motor bike years ago and currently compete in bullseye style pistol matches with a Baikal M35 or whatever it is. Talk about accurate! With CCI low velocity el cheapo club rounds, I am shooting personal bests. I have 1500 left and when I get through these, the gun should be run in and throughly sorted and I'll reward it with some good quality target stuff. Getting back to the single shot, I think I'm gonna have to run with it, need it like a hole in the head, but they are $AU350 here, you can't buy a barrel for that. I will have to round off the forend though, it is plumb homely.

It would be a good rough country packpacking rifle, pack it away an dleave both hands free for climbing. I have a heap of spare scopes at the moment. an old 4xBushnell Banner with a post and cross hair would be the go.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-08-2007 at 04:45 AM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

It just occured to me that your scope is worth more than the rifle!

Moderator Emeritus

They made or still make a biathlon rifle in 22 lr that was second only to Aunschutz. Most summer Biathlon shooters using s new gun were using it the exceptions being sponsered by the military or others. I understand it was about 1/2 the cost of a new Aunschutz so it wasn't cheap but a good product. They didn't use Russian sights as I recall but don't recall what they had. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

biathlon rifle in 22 lr

I have one of the Russian Biathlon rifles in 22 lr.
    Mine isn't for sale at any price ! ! !
    BTW....that is a 1" square in the photo below, distance is 50 yards

Best to all of you,

Ben

[IMG][/IMG]

They sell a rifle here called the Ismach (I think that is the spelling). It has a plastic (again, that's what it looks like )covered 'bolt' handle. The 'bolt' is triangular shaped and runs up and down, allowing quick recocking with the fingertips. I have been eyeing one of these off as a spotlighting rifle. The combination of excellent accuracy, fast reloading and a solid, balanced rifle sounds good to me with a scope and spotlight mounted on top of everything! Offhand shots off the top of the vehicle at rabbits and foxes at 50-100 yards predominate. Now, if they made it in 22 magnum, we would be talking one seriously good sppotlighting rifle!

They sell for approximately $AU1000 (approx 780 odd yankee dollars), considering a base grade centrefire Ruger, weatherby vangard, etc sell here for 6-7 hundred aussie dollars, they aren't cheap, but the quality is obviously there. The local distributor is obviously screwing the price up as much as he can, because they are about $US380 ver there.

There is something about these no nononsense Russian guns that makes them attractive, sort of the same attraction old military rifles has.

Not much of a pic, but all I could find

Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-08-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    They've probably polished up their act a bit since they made my Toz 66 coach gun. I've had it twenty years or so. It is a mixture of good working-gun ideas, and pretty weird ones. An inch and a half of stock cast seems a lot for a side-by-side double - but I've seen an experienced trap shooter who'd never seen it before pick it up, call "pull" faced 180 degrees from the range, spin and powder the bird - despite being left-handed. Not a bad effort with an inch and a half of stock cast in the wrong direction, on a gun you'd never shouldered or properly looked at.

The good ideas it has include chrome-lined barrels and construction so tough you could use it to drive star pickets. The doubtful ones include checkering so bad it's beyond pitiful - why checker at all if you're going to louse it up? - and so much hammer tension that my wife can't cock either barrel. (If you drop the hammer on a used case once or twice, by then it will have bent the rim so far back the case will have to be thrown away). Also, the extractor mechanism is quite puny for such a tough gun - though it's never failed me.

It's heavy and ugly, but I'd bet on it making it there and back on a walking trip. Overall, it tries to be both a rudimentary field gun and a basic home defence one - and is sort of half useful for both. I wouldn't part with it. If it is anything to judge other Baikals by, I'd say you need to look at it fairly carefully because the designers may not have followed the standard book of how-to-do-it. Once it passes inspection though, it's likely to be a very honest hard-working firearm.

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is an article on the Russian .22 rifle if you'd like to read more about it.

http://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0801.html

Looks good.

Boolit Grand Master

Baikal Single shot

I stopped by my friend's gun shop yesterday where I purchased my .308 Win. Baikal Single Shot.

He had six ( 6 ) of the single shots, ( I drew a colored bracket with my imaging software around the Remington, Baikal Single shots )

He had an 06', .223 Rem., .308 Win. 7.62 X 39
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master
    Ben, too bad they don't offer those rifles in some single shot calibers. You know what I'm talking about. Big rims and bigger bullets. Heck if they ever came out with one in 30-30 I'd jump at a chance to buy one. Something about the 30-30 and single shot rifles. Seems like they just go together. Or maybe a 30-40 krag?. Frank

Heck if the rifle had of been in 3006, I would have walked out the door with it I might get him to order one in. Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Ben, too bad they don't offer those rifles in some single shot calibers. You know what I'm talking about. Big rims and bigger bullets. Heck if they ever came out with one in 30-30 I'd jump at a chance to buy one. Something about the 30-30 and single shot rifles. Seems like they just go together. Or maybe a 30-40 krag?. Frank
    Hello Frank, These are actually quite popular here, not because they are fancy or something, but they are relatively cheap platform for rebarreling. One guy here is having one rebarreled to... (did somebody mention about hard kick from .308Win Baikal?)... .50-110Win. Ouch.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Does anyone know if the actions on these are strong enough to fill a 30.06 casing? I'm looking for a strong, inexpensive action I can load up a full caseload in 30.06 with a modern powder without being concerned about the strength of the steel.

Thanks,

Dave

I suppose the main market for these would be new shooters because of their cheapness, most if not nearly all of those guys shoot factory ammo. If there had of been a big problem, we would have heard about it by now. They look and feel sturdy as all get out, but that can be decieving. If there was any doubt about the strength of the action to hold 3006 power levels, I can't imagine a manafacturer marketing one, given today litagacious (is that a word? ) society, Mick.

Boolit Master
    The Baikal is based on a shotgun action, so the breech strength is not at all comparable with a front-locking bolt rifle. In small-base cartridges like the 223 this is unlikely to matter - force is pressure times area - but as the cartridge base gets larger, the breech force increases in proportion to the square of the diameter. Consider the base area of a 12 gauge cartridge case with a shotgun breech pressure of about 15,000 psi, and you can calculate the breech force the action is designed for.

Dave, if you look at a picture of the Baikal from the side with the action open, I think you'll answer your own question pretty quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast