WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: U.P. North Swage and Reloading Press (with adapter kit for CH-4D Dies with auto eject

Boolit Buddy
    UP, What is the distance from the top of the ram to the bottom of the top plate with the ram in it's "up" position. I want to use this press for reloading as well. Tks ahead.

Boolit Buddy

Dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by 20nickels View Post
    UP, What is the distance from the top of the ram to the bottom of the top plate with the ram in it's "up" position. I want to use this press for reloading as well. Tks ahead.
    Here are the Dimensions from the bottom of the top plate to the top of the ram are.
    Ram Up , Ram Down , Travel,
    Swaging Mode 5.000" , 8.000" , 3",
    Reloading Mode 3.500" , 9.500" , 6",

Boolit Mold
    im in the process of designing a 3 column version of this press specifically for reloading high precision 50 bmg loads and swaging 50 bmg and 458 socom bullets...

this is a rough sketch thus far... will give details out when I verify this beefier press will work out ok....

once we get the ball rolling with this monster and Upnorth confirms the design we will try to get a group buy together possibly...

Boolit Buddy
    ^^ I would likely be interested in a group buy pending the details of course. I'm interested as to how you arrived at the changes in the original design. Was there some play or flexing? I can see how the ram would run true (truer?) with more steel supporting it.

Boolit Buddy
    Trey came across the design some place else. Your question on the flexing issue, there has been nobody that has reported any flexing. He wanted to know if I could build a three post press with a heavier toggle if he deigned it. The price on this design is a unknown as of now ,pending a materials list and cost of labor and shipping.

Boolit Mold
    I have not heard of any play or flexing as well. I arrived at this design based on a mixture of an italian made reloading press designed for sizing and reloading 50 bmg without even .001 of runout... I wanted to mix the high precision and very low tolerances/ thick metal design of that press with the swaging press on this board... allowing me to swage up to 800 gr 50 bmg bullets and even 600 gr subsonic 458 socom bullets.... Ive really only seen people using hyd. presses for such work, but Im a simple man, I would like reloading tools that dont rely on electricity to tun... kind of an off the grid mentality, lol...

it will indeed be a monster press!

Boolit Master
    Anyone who can design and build that press is hardly a "simple man".my hats off to you nice job!

Boolit Master
    You need a good sturdy table for that thing. How much does it weigh? Nice press!

Boolit Buddy
    nice looking press U.P. North

Doc.

Boolit Buddy
    That yeller press in the top pic looks like it would take out your hip walking by if you didn't see it sticking out in to the room, lol.
    I'm sure UP's press is precise as is but overbuilding rarely hurts. To me more steel is only an issue when shipping and purchasing.
    Looks like they have some sort of adapter in the ram. I think a LNL conversion bushing, if possible, would be a real time saver

UP North,
    Will your press swage 50cal? I am interested in a press
    for the 50 BMG.

Thank you Sir,
    Barry

I guess I can see how a three pillar press might be sturdy where the force to drive the ram is on the base plate and not the top plate, but in UPNorth's original design, where the toggle force is transferred all the way up to the top plate, I don't think a third pillar will add anything. I note that in all the presses shown you are still only using two rods to guide the ram. The third would only serve to locate and strengthen the top plate. An issue that does not appear to matter in those presses that hang the toggle from the top plate. Am I missing something? Not to say that heavier material won't apply more force, but I just don't see the purpose of the third rod or pillar in this design.
    Last edited by MightyThor; 01-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Mold
    bfuller, yes His original design has 6" of travel, with the proper ram and top plate threads for using ch4d, rcbs, 50 bmg dies and adapters...

mightThor. Like you said
    The third would only serve to locate and strengthen the top plate.
    I think it will be a stronger design to keep the top plate and full sizing/seating dies more securely positioned, especially where the force for the ram movement is transferred to the top plate. To me it would make a more precise tool especially in this type of design. Not to say the original is bad, but at least Ill have piece of mind knowing the top plate is not gonna tweak or move now. The extra material on the baseplate will also help keep the ram located more precisely on its upward travel...

Boolit Mold
    This design utilizes the 3 colums as guides to support the guide plate...

attached pdf's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails press-main Layout2 (1).pdf   press-main Layout3 (1).pdf   press-main Layout4 (1).pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by treysoucie View Post
    This design utilizes the 3 colums as guides to support the guide plate...

attached pdf's
    This design makes more sense to me as far as what you were talking about. Three guide rods would certainly minimize any rotational misalignment that might occur on the ram. Still don't think it will alter the force on the top plate because that is all located at the die hole and where the two arms attach. Still, if you want it, build it. should be ubber strong.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Mold
    still messing with the design...

Might, no this will not have any effect on the amount of force transferred to the ram. that would take place at the toggle. I'm merely taking the original design, and beefing it up for higher precision.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails press-main reload down.pdf   press-main reload up.pdf   press-main swage down.pdf   press-main swage up.pdf   press-main4 Layout3 (1).pdf  

press-main4 Layout4 (1).pdf  
    Last edited by treysoucie; 01-23-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    I re-came across this thread...and I think this press just may become next year's Christmas wish list.

Come to think if it, it's rather amazing how much money and time I'm willing to invest to avoid buying commercial j-words...

Boolit Bub
    howcome your not out walleye fishing ????? the kid called just befor noon and had 5 eyes a 2 pike . he is fishing the dead river and im stuck in a shop down here... you guys in gods country have it made !!!!!!!!!

Boolit Bub
    to treysoucie,
    are you planning to build and sell some of those beautiful three post presses? if so, what do you figure the price will be? I'm not scared of the price, i've been swaging for 30 years and have learned to appreciate the beautiful machine work and tallent that goes into the tooling that this hobby demands.
    what type of steel are they made of? if you don't plan on building any for sale, would it be possible to get a set of plans for them?
    thanks,
    luober

Boolit Buddy
    Is Tim aka up north still around. I cant reach him by pm.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast