RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Custom .410 Slug Loads

I see a lot of people make a lot of "swaged" bullets elsewhere on this forum. Has anyone ever considered taking a longer brass case and pour it only half full of lead? Like a .223 case flare the neck out of it, drop in a 150-200 grain bullet. You would want to choose a case that fits through barrel and choke if any. The longer case with the weight forward I would think would stabilize better. And you wouldn't have to stack so many cards below it.

I have not done it yet, I started out looking at empty 9mm cases, then an empty 9mm with a bullet seated (for longer tail) then went flying out into space with this idea.

Probably crazy I know, but a necked out .223 with a 185 grain .312 bullet drops right in, a few whacks with a punch and it doesn't move anymore. Be a bit like a shuttlecock, if it starts to rotate the air pressure on that light tail end should swing it right back again.

Just wondering.

Banned
    As a slight twist on this theme, I have a Zabala sxs 410 with two sets of barrels. I have shot commercial Brenneke slugs (1/4 oz 114 gr) through both sets hoping for a stroke of luck but they both cross badly (10" at 25yds). The barrels are brazed and even if they were spread the ribs would almost fall into the space between the barrels as they would have to be spread quite a bit to correct the crossing. The easy fix for a double that is crossing is to use a heavier bullet and/or slower powder. So that got me thinking but of course these bores are not rifled and the chokes are pretty tight on both sets of barrels. Has anyone had a similar experience and tried going up to say a 200 grain slug? How about rifling the chokes a la H&H?

Boolit Master
    well this thread is back from the dead...

vh2q, from what I gather you want to make a small poor man double rifle. being such an old gun and with maybe a good value if original I advise against cutting, ressoldering whatever...

I can suggest you get some different slugs and check each barrel sparately, like left bbl shoots brenneke ok, close to POA,etc. Next try the right bbl (or vice versa) and see where it hits and correct the aim so you know where the 2nd shot will land.

Try different projectiles, you might be surprised at how good a simple round ball can be (.40 or .410, depending on your chokes, ball should be smaller than the smallest portion of your barrel).

if you want to try a heavy heavy slug, check your barrel smallest spot to determine bullet diameter and you can get a 1/2oz recipe, a .41 magnum 200/210gr boolits and load it

Boolit Master
    if the barrel is too tight you might want a SWC .40 S&W boolits. get some BPI brush wads and seat the bullet reversed inside it. I don't know if needs/accept glue, so you make a sort of tail or the pressure only is enough to hold the wad+bullet combo together. YMMV.

i said brush wad I mean stump wad, these
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Stu...tinfo/0724105/

to the OP if he insists in using a saiga, Id rather get an original saiga rifled choke or get a gunsmith to make me one out of .40 caliber rifled barrel blank. Russians are turning their shotguns in 40S&w carbines using this device and they are in fact putting .40 bullets inside the shells.

Boolit Master
    Of course the muzzle velocity in the examples given is irrelevant as only the much reduced velocities at impact ranges matters.

Boolit Master
    Actually a round ball has so little contact area with the barrel that normal choke constriction probably would have little effect. At most there might be slight peening of the choke. I had a S/S 12 gauge who chokes have ben slightly expanded by [shooting steel shot?] with the result that is patterned half a choke degree better that what the barrel markings claimed.

Boolit Master
    A 1/4 ounce slug at 18800 fps does not represent an improvement in performance. The heavier slug, even at lower velocity, will give much better penetration and will retain velocity over range better.

I 1/4 oz/125gr slug at 1750 fps is well up into .357 Magnum ballistics which is certainly well above what used to pass for .410 slugs.

But unless the Slug is either Drag Stabilized or a Weight Forward design it will fly willy nilly after it leaves the barrel and accuracy will be non existent. A cylindrical bullet must be spun or have a parachute attached to fly strait.

BPI has some Thug Slugs that have the wad attached to the slug. Unlike a 12 ga ball a .410 ball isn't going to instill much confidence so a Slug with an attached wad is IMHO the best way to go for a .410.

If you attached some kind of wad directly to the back of a .41cal Boolit It would be even superior to that and if you could get it to 13-1400 fps it would be even better. .41 Mag is always better than .357 .

Here's pic of a .410 Thug Slug, a 12ga round ball, and a BPI 12ga. Slug. The BPI slug looks like it would really do the job!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAcEeYf-50

This is what I'm trying to explain.

The thug slug seems like made from soft alloy and it's quite thin, so it would probably shatter to pieces before doing any serious penetration.

I shot factory fosters vs handload RB and they penetrated the same at dry paper media. Slugs were going at about 13-1400fps and the ball at about 700-800fps. I saw a test from said slug at soap bars and they penetrated a lot more from a judge than from a shotgun. I reason the alloy can't stand the impact at higher velocity and I believe these thug slugs will suffer from same malady..
    Last edited by victorfox; 07-31-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234