RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dino Devastator; another review

In Remembrance

Dino Devastator; another review

This is an in-progress review: I received and loaded some for testing, will shoot, find an accurate load, then test on newsprint later.

So I received a test batch of Dino Devastator slugs.

2 varieties arrived.
    One, a .7275" 656.4gr swaged jacketed slug w a big hollow point and some black plastic down at the bottom of the cavity.

The other was essentially the same (.7285" 669.5gr) but the cavity was filled w white plastic or something similar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dino dev IMG_2163.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	173354
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

I decided to use this load as test in 2 different hull lengths.

Load name: DinoDev3”
    Power Category: normal

Velocity and pressure: ~1400fps/ unknown psi
    Hull: fed 3”
    Primer:
    209A
    Powder & Charge: 65gr IMR 4579

Wad column:
    x12x over powder
    Payload: D
    ino Devastator (diameter .7275 rolled in hBN)
    Overshot (if any) & Crimp: 6-pt fold

Notes: interestingly, I did not have to trim the hull to 2.86", I left them at 3' and they fit ok. Actually the very first one I put in a 1/8" cork over the x12x anticipating the need for it since I didn't trim, but it fit OK; so I left all hulls at 3" and left out the 1/8" in subsequent loads. I have a 3.5' chamber so I want to make the hulls longer match for best accuracy, if I can. I started w the 3' since others here tested that already. then moved on in the next load.

Load name: DinoDev3.5”
    Power Category: normal

Velocity and pressure: ~1400fps/ unknown psi
    Hull: fed 3.5”
    Primer:
    209A
    Powder & Charge: 65gr IMR 4579

Wad column:
    x12x over powder, 2x1/4" hard nitrocards
    Payload: D
    ino Devastator (diameter .7275 rolled in hBN)
    Overshot (if any) & Crimp: 6-pt fold

Notes:

I will take these out and shoot for group; once I get the best accurate load I will shoot into dry newspaper to test that big hollowpoint.

Just thinking out loud: since I only have a single slug w a filled cavity, I will save it until I get an accurate load then try it. If the hollowpoints expand outward (the 'usual way'), then done. if they collapse inward, I may take a dremel and make longitudinal slits in the jacket to mimic the federal expanding fmj loads and see if that works- esp w the filled-cavity slug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dino dev loads IMG_2162.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	173355

"...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

Not that anyone cares: but the first thing I need to do is re-sight in the gun. I finally realized that the cheapie red dot I had on my USH conks out when the temperature is a bazillion degrees Fahrenheit like it has been in Texas recently. So I switched to a 2x-7x LER and will use some brennekes to get it on paper first. just FYI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dino dev loads IMG_2162.jpg  

Looking forward to your results.

BB

Boolit Bub
    Rifled barrel? I expect that's gonna group minute-of-dinosaur in a smooth bore.

In Remembrance

yes, USH is rifled.

Boolit Master

C, I know I can trust you to at least use a clean target! Those slugs are gonna make you smile. Also, I don't know a thing about that bulky powder, do y'all use a coffee can for a dipper? Garden shovel?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

A big scooper and a digital scale for all test loads.

Once I get a good load, sometimes I will make a dedicated scooper where I load a fired hull w the right amount of powder, tap it level, and cut the shell at that height; then attach it to a stick- label these very carefully!

Tagged! Can't wait for the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk