RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Bone head move of the year

Boolit Master

Bone head move of the year

Not one thing to do with shotguns but trust at least some of my buddies here won't LOL! Was sizing some .270s with a lee hand press and for wharever reason thought it was time to clean the sizing die of any accumulated case lube. Sprayed with wd40 and ran a cloth up in the die to clean. Picked up a brass that hadn't been lubed and you guessed by now I have a stuck case. 30 minutes in the freezer didn't help nor all the muscle I could put on it. When you get through laughing help me brothers!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    take the decaping rod nut off the die. then take a hammer and give the decaping rod a few wacks always worked for me for getting a case out

Well, I have been guilty of ripping the lips off of 223 brass a time or two and this is my method of removal:

Remove die from press
    Take a #7 drill bit or another one that is close to 0.200" and drill through the primer hole.
    Then take a 1/4x24 tap and tap the case head.
    Then assemble small stack of washers that will slip over the case head and rest on die face.
    This slip over washer stack needs to be taller than the protruding case, by at least a couple washers.
    Find a lubed 1/4x24 bolt with a 1/4" washer to avoid slipping through the larger washers.
    You may need to have a 3/8"washer as a step up because your slip overs will likely be 1/2".
    Screw this bolt into the case with the washer stack under the head.
    When the bolt becomes tight, it will act as a puller and the case will be amazingly easy to remove.

If it does not come imediately, something in the stack is binding. Stop and check it out. It will come easily when everything is right.

Your large head case could use a 5/16x18 tap with a "F" or 0.257" drill, but then when you stick a small case you will still need the smaller stuff.

This is actually much easier to do than to explain on a keyboard.

Good luck, Tim.
    Last edited by corbinace; 07-29-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    Brings back a few unhappy memories , when in doubt lube again before sizing .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Well, I have been guilty of ripping the lips off of 223 brass a time or two and this is my method of removal:

Remove die from press
    Take a #7 drill bit or another one that is close to 0.200" and drill through the primer hole.
    Then take a 1/4x24 tap and tap the case head.
    Then assemble small stack of washers that will slip over the case head and rest on die face.
    This slip over washer stack needs to be taller than the protruding case, by at least a couple washers.
    Find a lubed 1/4x24 bolt with a 1/4" washer to avoid slipping through the larger washers.
    You may need to have a 3/8"washer as a step up because your slip overs will likely be 1/2".
    Screw this bolt into the case with the washer stack under the head.
    When the bolt becomes tight, it will act as a puller and the case will be amazingly easy to remove.

If it does not come imediately, something in the stack is binding. Stop and check it out. It will come easily when everything is right.

Your large head case could use a 5/16x18 tap with a "F" or 0.257" drill, but then when you stick a small case you will still need the smaller stuff.

This is actually much easier to do than to explain on a keyboard.

Good luck, Tim.
    I use a socket of the correct size instead of a stack of washers. Or this from RCBS. Although I prefer a piece of threaded rod and a nut to keep from stripping the brass.

Oops I hate when that happens. It hasn't happened lately but I've been pretty close.

Boolit Master
    been there a couple times, no big problem just a frustration!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Nice upgrade to my backyard fix, Bdicki. When I first did mine, I just used what I could scrounge from the garage and never looked back to see if it could be improved.

Boolit Master

I loosen and then unscrew the decapping rod and pull it out (that can be a chore in itself) then just insert a long but thin brass rod and tap. Works like a charm!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Have fun locating a 1/4-24 tap. I think Corbinace meant to type 1/4-20 tap.

Boolit Master
    + 1 on the RCBS stuck case remover.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Well, I see lots of suggestions here...did you get her out?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    LOL , I've been lucky but have had a few that were, Am I going to break something. Now I use STP and graphite, light film and can do a few cases with oily film if I forget to lube one.

Boolit Master
    If you go for a screw, make it as big as the case head allows. I think it could strip in the worst possible jam. You could fill the case with free-flowing epoxy around the screw, from the top, to strengthen its grip. A piece of plastic tubing or tape, or a little grease, will avoid getting epoxy on the inside of the die, but that would be only a nuisance. It won't get between the case neck and the die. Whatever tap you use, the coarser the thread the stronger it will be, in this application. Fine threads are less likely to break in two in the middle, but brass is your weak link here.

I'd sooner try unscrewing the decapping rod and hammering with a metal rod. It doesn't have to be brass, as steel won't be touching any part of the die a case does. The tendency will be for the blows on the case-head to slightly contract the diameter of the case.

You can go from punch to screw if punch fails, but you can't go from screw to punch if there is a large hole in the case head. Does anybody still make dies in which you can only get the decapping rod out from the bottom? Big mistake...

If all else fails, cut the case off flush with the bottom of the die and enlarge the hole to the maximum internal diameter of the case. Then make a triangular metal punch and drive it between brass and steel. It will reduce it to a D shape with the straight side concave, which should loosen it enough to come out. The punch can be brass, but if mild steel scratches a sizing die, the makers have some fast talking to do.

Boolit Mold
    It will be hard to get the decapper out of the die if there is an expanderball on it..

When this happend to me i used the washerstacking thing
    Its what i had around at the time and it works very well

Boolit Master

How do I fet the die out of the press when the case is in the shell holder up against the die? Best idea to the decapping rod out without ruining threads?Attachment 173322
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    How do I fet the die out of the press when the case is in the shell holder up against the die? Best idea to the decapping rod out without ruining threads?Attachment 173322
    You should be able to rotate the shell holder until it can be slid out to the front. Now the ram will lower and allow you to work on extracting the stuck case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    take the decaping rod nut off the die. then take a hammer and give the decaping rod a few wacks always worked for me for getting a case out

I've used the trick of removing the decaping pin (if possible) and gently tapping it out with a brass rod. Bent my 9mm decaping pin once...that was enough for me.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Got it, thanks. Wound up screwing it to a post to get enough leverage to "rip lips." That case was grown into that die though, managed to bend the pin. Oh well, guess hornady will sell me a new one. THanks again.
    Leonard Ravenhill