Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: CZ452 success

Boolit Master

CZ452 success

I bought various types of ammo for my CZ452 a few years ago to try out different options. I have been finally able to try them out at the range. One really stuck out as an excellent performer. 5 shot groups that were actual one hole clover leaves. I couldn't wait to order some more until I discovered the Eley Match producing these results was $13/50 rounds. I think I ordered the stuff to see what really expensive .22 Long Rifle would do. it works great...too expensive for me though.

Boolit Master
    Lots of people like Wolfe Match in them. Some go to eBay and buy a YoDave trigger kit. Others buy a J & P striker spring. Very devoted following of the CZ 452 & CZ 453 both of which are being replaced by the 455 which has the following holding their breath and putting away the 452s they want now.

Some willing to pay a bit more buy an adjustable sear to remove all of the trigger creep from the 452. I have one with a smith to change the trigger the old fashioned "right" way rather than the easier YoDave or the adjustable sear. Suspect I'll regret not buying the adjustable sear when I see the bill.

Others like the Brno, the predecessor to the CZ 452 believing it was put together more carefully. Beats me as don't have one.

Nice rifles and if you have the one with the long barrel I can supply the contact info of Denny "Brno Man" who sells match sights for it that people seem to love. I have a metal mag well from Denny waiting to be installed. Also a single shot adapter that I use came from him. These are old Brno parts and the supply will run out. Denny is great to deal with.

Others also change the trigger guard to a more graceful one and the action screws. If you want I can dig up where to get them. Trigger guard was about $110 or so (don't remember exactly) and gets rid of the less than graceful CZ one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Lots of people like Wolfe Match in them. Some go to eBay and buy a YoDave trigger kit. Others buy a J & P striker spring. Very devoted following of the CZ 452 & CZ 453 both of which are being replaced by the 455 which has the following holding their breath and putting away the 452s they want now.

Some willing to pay a bit more buy an adjustable sear to remove all of the trigger creep from the 452. I have one with a smith to change the trigger the old fashioned "right" way rather than the easier YoDave or the adjustable sear. Suspect I'll regret not buying the adjustable sear when I see the bill.

Others like the Brno, the predecessor to the CZ 452 believing it was put together more carefully. Beats me as don't have one.

Nice rifles and if you have the one with the long barrel I can supply the contact info of Denny "Brno Man" who sells match sights for it that people seem to love. I have a metal mag well from Denny waiting to be installed. Also a single shot adapter that I use came from him. These are old Brno parts and the supply will run out. Denny is great to deal with.

Others also change the trigger guard to a more graceful one and the action screws. If you want I can dig up where to get them. Trigger guard was about $110 or so (don't remember exactly) and gets rid of the less than graceful CZ one.
    I have tried Wolf Match and it is not bad...although my rifle prefers Wolf's Match Extra. I have shot most of the mid-grade match ammo and found most will shoot under .5" at 50 yards. Even Mini-mags are around .75". Eley Match has been the best and the most expensive I've tried.

I swapped out the trigger with a Rifle Basix before I even shot it. I added a bolt spring and hex head screws from JP Gunsprings too. I like the look of the machined trigger guards available...but at $100+ I'm not sure if I like them that much. As has been pointed out even the classic rimfires had similar "cheap" guards. I use a CZ plastic single shot adapter, but I've seen the old metal BRNOs and they are very nice. Not sure I have to have one though.

I use a Leupold Rimfire 2-7X in Leupold rings.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Set a price limit by checking the usual suspects. Do your testing by small volume purchases at one time. Clean the barrel between ammo tests, and fire at least ten rounds to re-lube the barrel. As soon as you identify the best shooting ammo, get on the horn and buy a couple k OF THE SAME LOT.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    My full stock is currently with a smith who also works part time for CZ. He is going to adjust the trigger without placing in new parts. He has worked on another rifle for me and you can tell he is excellent even by the way he touches the gun.

I took a Spanish Destroyer to him that I had messed with unsuccessfully. I asked him if he knew he rifle and he held it and said he would soon. Got it back and it was perfect.

Sometimes you just get lucky and find the right guy.

Boolit Master
    Ickirrulz,

I have heard/read lots of very good reports on the CZ452 American, and might have one if not for the clip below the stock line. A personal thing!

Ol'Coot's are allowed those.

Lots and lots of good rimfire info over on the RimFire Central forum, and lots of CZ lovers also.

A friend with a good shooting Savage single shot, Mark I or II or??, the rifle that comes from the factory with target iron sights mounted, and I had a couple of informal shootouts, using the same ammo from the same boxes, over the same bench and pads.

The first go around, his Savage kept right up with my Clark Custom 77/22 with it's Walther barrel, while shooting a number of target/match offerings including the pricey Lapua and Eley Tenex EPS, which are now pushing $20.00 or more per 50.

The second shootout, was with typical off the shelf offerings and the results were a lot different. While the Clark Custom 77/22 with the Walther barrel kept making really nice groups, some approaching the target/match ammo, the Savage lagged well behind in many cases.

The Savage did shoot some of the cheap ammo very well, but over all, nothing like it did with the match/target ammo.

What this showed me was, .22s with something approaching reasonable quality barrels will shoot at least some ammos well, while rifles with better to high quality barrels will not only shoot the high quality ammo well, but much more of the lower priced ammo also.

So, with what I read of the CZ and how well many of them shoot, I'd guess it very likely that one of the cheaper/off the sheif .22s will shoot very well in your rifle, it just being a matter of you finding out which one or ones it is.

AS per cleaning and then seasoning/breaking in your barrel with different ammos, I have not found this to be an issue with my rifle.

Now I am NOT shooting march level competition, but have found the different ammos to eather shoot well or not. And if the seasoning is in fact a factor in groups, then I am going to see some really and truely remarkable groups if/when I ever get around to shooting any one match/target ammo long enough to get er done.

Probably won't happen, as my stash of the really good ammo is pretty low, as well as already able to shoot nice tiny groups any time called on to do so, meaning any time I wish to show someone what kind of groups a really good rifle/barrel is able to produce.

ENJOY! And keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    I have three CZ rifles in 22 RF a scout 452 and a lux 452 and an Varmint 453. They all shoot very well. Most of the creep in my Scout trigger was taken out by putting a tube around the pin that lifts the sear. On the lux I sprang for a RF Technologies replacement adjustable sear. This was a little tricky to get in as I actually had to have a third and to do the job (provided by my Daughter). As for the 453 I have it to break with no creep or over-travel at 2 pounds and when set it goes off a 2 ounces. I measure accuracy of ammo not by group size but by hitting silhouette targets at 200 yards from a bench rest. My club has a set of 22 rifle and pistol silhouettes that we setup every thursday for practice. When I test ammo I start with the 200 yard ram target firing from a bench rest. If I get 10 for ten the ammo is worth further testing. I then shoot at 10 turkeys at 200 yards in lieu of 150 yards. If I get 10 for ten the ammo is OK for competition. I then shoot at 10 pigs again if I get all of them the ammo is just fine. I have also shot at the 25 yard pistol silhouettes at 200 yards. These are roughly a triangle shap with a foot and a head with the triangle meaureing around 4 inches or so on a side. If I can hit 8 or more out of ten I consider the ammo to be premium competition ammo and put the entire stock of that stuff away for use in competition only. Interestingly the ammo that performs best for me at 200 yards usually does not shoot better than slughtly under 3/4 inch at 50 yards and ammo that will go into less than 1/2 inch at 50 yards usually falls short at ranges beyond 100 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the creep in my Scout trigger was taken out by putting a tube around the pin that lifts the sear.
    Could you give a few more details on that please?

Boolit Buddy
    I have 5 cz 452's one american in the 17hm2 one american in 22lr. I have a 22lr full stock and two 452 lux in 22lr. They all shoot excellent. I have had good luck with cci blazers in the 22's and Remington in the hm2. These rifles are a great value for the money I doubt you will find anything that shoots as good.

Boolit Mold
    I adjusted the trigger on a full stock model that one of my friends has, its a really nice rifle! Before a started I shot a 3/4 inch group at 50 yards with it, and I was impressed. Then after I had the trigger at 2 and 3/4 pounds with no creep I shot another group at the same distance. 1/4 inch! Again, I was impressed! That was with Federal Gold medal match ammo, and a cheap 4x scope of which I don't remember the make.