Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 6.8 spc

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    Does anyone have any 270 gas checks they can measure?
    I have a box of Hornady .270 cal (#7050) gas checks. My harbor freight digital caliper consistently measures 0.250 as the ID.

As for the redesign, my opinion is I'd like whatever is believed to be accurate in most guns. Morme had done some research and I thought this design was what he settled on for accuracy.

Boolit Bub
    I'm sure Morme has some gas checks on hand. Maybe he could measure them and get a 3rd measurement. I believe the measurement should be taken at the bottom of the check, as the copper gets thicker at the top.

Maybe Morme might also measure some "As Cast" bullets and see what the diameter of the Gas Check shank equals. The gas check is a constant, but the bullet's check shank could be adjusted fairly easily.

BTW...Sorry to put all the R&D work on Morme.

Boolit Master
    I use rooster red HVR, it works great for my ar-15 in 5.56. I can tumble lube them also, I don't care as long is shoots well in an ar platform.

Boolit Bub
    I actually heard that Rooster had closed it's doors. I used to use a lot of their products. I now use Lars Carnauba Red.

I use Carnuba Red, but I can also pan lube so I'm not that picky.
    The base diameter for the gas check had me wondering, but I know nothing about bullet design and I've never cast for a rifle before, so I'll leave that to the experts here.
    I do like the idea of a 110 -115g boolit, but as I said I'm not that picky as long as my AR will shoot it accurately.

I just want something that will function and shoot in my AR in 6.8. A top punch would be nice and so would hp. I see the gas check measurement has been provided. I too can wait for a good design but I like the current design too. 110-120 grs are good for me.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Bub
    OverKill,

Could we do a Poll right now to see if, or how many people would drop out if we changed the design? If enough people drop out, well then we have our answer. Is there a way to contact everyone on the list and find out fairly quickly?

If people don't drop out, then we can proceed. I lot of us have been waiting a long time for the moulds.

As I mentioned, I used to own a cast bullet company and had many rifle moulds. Most of them had A LOT less lube capacity than our current design and I never had any problems.

Morme's design is successfully tested, a changed mould is not.

I'd like to humbly suggest that we 1) poll everyone signed up if they are in or out if we change the mould, and 2) get Morme's opinion on if he thinks there is a problem or not.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still in if the mold design changes slightly and am good with the 110-120 grn. size. I just want something that will work well in my AR and can tumble tube if necessary, but I normally pan lube.

Boolit Bub
    I guess I'm most interested in getting this decided quickly. Or as soon as possible. Can we send an e-mail to everone that's signed up and get a quick yah or nay?

I can say that I'm satified with the design as it stands right now. Given we get the correct gas check recess.

I'm good either way. Like the design as is and would like to see what else develops. I would not drop out if a change is made, especially if I liked the change.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Man

I'll go along with whatever is decided.

Boolit Buddy
    Just started reading again. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Look at all the bullets I shot and the results. I shot the lee using both red and tumble lube. I don't recall any major differences.

Bullets that looked like they would shoot well had 12" groups. IF the design is changed, I want nothing to do with it until after someone has shot a hundred rounds. The exception would be a HP pin in the existing design. the other "flat" end can be changed to a round nose with a round burr.

A group buy should never be a group design. You all know the adage about a mouse designed by a committee = an elephant.

I am not in great need of a mould, but would support one. I managed to get 2 of the lee single cavity moulds so I can make what I need. A 6 cavity would be easier, but thats all.

Honestly, if someone had a $1000 to invest, an order to lee for their 6 cavity mould "as is" would make the most sense. With Gunbroker and this forum, I bet they would have no problem selling them.

let me read the rest

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    Maybe we should ask Morme what he thinks. He, I believe he started this Group Buy almost a year ago and did all the initial testing. He seemed to have fine results in both design and adequate lube. There are 3 lube grooves and a 4th right about the gas check.

I used to own a cast bullet company and had several rifle bullets that had far less lube capacity than this design and shoot great. Just food for thought.

1) Can we get Morme's opinion?, and 2) how many people would drop out if we changed the design AND delayed this project even further?
    See me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/matthew.c.orme. Mention castboolits and your user name if you contact me there.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    I believe the measurement should be taken at the bottom of the check, as the copper gets thicker at the top.
    Looking at them I can not see any visible difference in thickness. I scratched across the inside with a probe and couldn't feel anything. As near as I can tell, mine are .250. If there is a taper on it (tighter at the opening), that would explain the smaller measurement... My caliper wouldn't get the larger diameter further in. But I sure can't see it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to be clear on how I was measuring. I don't know the proper way to measure a gas check

Boolit Buddy
    without measuring, the 270 hornady gas checks seated well on the lee cast bullets. If I recall, the drawing was accurate. But ***? I doubt if a couple thousandths has any impact (gas seating). There is also a lube groove left after seating the check.

I was very happy with the alox tumble lube from white label lube. I also get my red there

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Why has this thing drug on so long? The more opportunity for "improvements" by members, the less likely it will get done.

I understood Miha was going to dupe the lee drawing with the addition of a really tiny flat nose (which a round burr will remove)

You know that design works. why muck it up with improvements? Lube the entire bullet with Alox. its cheap, and produces good results. Even with 2 applications the gas groves do not fill so bigger ones do not make sense.

Like my dad used to say, either S**T or get off the pot. The debate should have been over many months ago
    See me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/matthew.c.orme. Mention castboolits and your user name if you contact me there.

Boolit Man
    Does this mean we can't vote on the color of the handles? I really wanted purple!

Sorry, couldn't help it. +1 to what Morme said. Where do I send the check?

As long as the gas check stays on and the boolit is accurate I'm good with the design.
    I do prefer 110 - 115g boolits in my 6.8, but I'm not picky.
    There just going to be used for plinking zombies anyhow.

I think I will back out of this one. Please remove me from the list.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    "(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    To answer the gas check size question just go to Cast Boolits the source for all knowledge about casting. Post #8.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17539

I want this for a contender so I am probably the odd man on this one most designs would work so I’ll just wait and see what you all decide.
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 01-28-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

So it seems the consensus is either one of two answers
    A) I could go either way
    B) Leave it the way it is

So we'll just leave it the way it is. We had 2 drop out so far, but we still have enough to make the minimal 15 unless more drop out, I haven't saw posts or gotten PM's back from everyone yet.

I'd like to apologize to everyone for the confusion, but I just wanted to make sure everyone recognized the possible shortcomings of this design before they committed. I know Morme has had good results from this bullet but that doesn't mean we all will. But that applies with any design. The biggest problem I see is possibly having to use 7mm gas checks if the shank is too large. Maybe a "6.8 OPTIMUM" is an option for the future?

So in closing, the design will be left alone. If anyone wants to drop out of the buy after all the controversy I wouldn't blame you. I'll be at work all weekend but if we still have 15 on board by Monday night I'll PM Miha and tell him to go ahead and cut it exactly the way it's drawn.

EDIT: After following blacksmith's link it looks like 270 gas checks would oddly allow for a LARGER shank than 7mm's in both Gator ot Hornady brand. (Gator's in post 2 and confirmed by Blammer). Is it possible the drawing in post 1 does list a too large shank?

Boolit Bub
    I'm still in!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast