RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 6.8 spc

Boolit Buddy
    <big smile!>

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in for 1. unluckyone at mailcity dot com

Got you down shangrila, always good to have a few extras in case someone drops out.

Boolit Mold
    I'm in also psdiver102 @ yahoo dot com

psdiver102, got you down.
    Just a reminder to everyone, check to make sure I have your castboolits handle and email right. I'm always catching spelling mistakes I've made.

Boolit Bub
    I want one!
    george at rayclan dot net

gvrj, got you down. I'm going to PM Miha again to check when these will be cut.

Boolit Mold
    I will take one too with the Mihec Handles
    bloodyspartan at gmail dot com

works4me, got you down. I also got this reply back from Miha

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=129369

We finally got 15, when does this one get ran? The moulds do come with a top punch don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill
    After we get 15 orders, about how long will it take to get these moulds?

This ones should be quick - I have all prepaired just need to cut cavities

Hi,

Mold will come with top punch.
    Another think - I speak with 45 2.1 about the 6.8 drawing and he have some objections.
    Is it possible for some one to take casting (cerrosafe) of chamber and send it to 45 2.1?
    He is willing to draw the "real" bullet. What do you think?

Boolit Buddy

Hi,
    Mold will come with top punch.
    Another think - I speak with 45 2.1 about the 6.8 drawing and he have some objections.
    Is it possible for some one to take casting (cerrosafe) of chamber and send it to 45 2.1?
    He is willing to draw the "real" bullet. What do you think?

I am not in on this yet, but this sounds interesting.

Boolit Bub
    I'm not sure I understand what that means. "Objestions"? "Chamber Casting for what?" "The Real Bullet?"

OK, here's the deal after a lot of bewilderment on my part. Miha ran the design past 45 2.1 to see what his thoughts were on the bullet.

One thing 45 2.1 pointed out is the lack of lube capacity. Mstarling, I know you asked about a top punch so I assume you are using a wax based lube, you may want to look into that. I was planning on tumble lubing so that's not a problem. Any body that plans on using wax based lubes please consider this.

Another issue is the diameter of the gas check shank. Does anyone have any 270 gas checks they can measure? We need to know the inside diameter to make sure they would fit. I'll see if Blammer would be nice enough to end me a measurement.

If we get 45 2.1 to design a new boolit, he would like a throat impact slug from at least an AR, Mini-14 and a bolt action. A bullet like the one in this thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=Sil
    may work better, but 45 2.1 needs the measurements of a few throats to be sure. I have the Mini 14 covered, I'd like to get one from a SPC II chamber if possible as well. (Ruger is SAMMI)

45 2.1 also asked IF we decide to go with a new bullet design what the weight should be. He assumed something 100 to 115 grains would fit with the parameters, I'd prefer 110 to 120, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The big question is : ARE WE ALL SURE THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT?, or do we want to design a bullet specifically for the 6.8 SPC? I'm fine either way. The big thing is if Miha cuts it exactly as specified and we have problems, don't blame Miha, he did his job in cutting it. It's our job to be sure of what we want and take responsibility for whether it fits our application or not.

Boolit Buddy
    No hurry here, I'd rather see right as opposed to soon. My vote is for 45 2.1 to do his magic prior to sending final specs to Miha. Just my .02

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry ... I use Carnauba Red for rifle projectiles from .309" to .476" and have been very pleased with its performance. I already have the sizing dies and equipment to do that job.

Are you out or are you in favor of redesigning it with a larger lube capacity or what?

Boolit Bub
    Maybe we should ask Morme what he thinks. He, I believe he started this Group Buy almost a year ago and did all the initial testing. He seemed to have fine results in both design and adequate lube. There are 3 lube grooves and a 4th right about the gas check.

I used to own a cast bullet company and had several rifle bullets that had far less lube capacity than this design and shoot great. Just food for thought.

1) Can we get Morme's opinion?, and 2) how many people would drop out if we changed the design AND delayed this project even further?

Boolit Buddy
    0verkill,

There is always some risk when buying into a design that is not thoroughly field tested. Was implying that I'd not be changing my approach to lubing my bullets. Would be better for my use if the projectile had enough lube capacity for Carnauba Red. If it turns out not to have enough, the mold will probably get put back for use in very bad times or sold.

As per a redesign, I would like to hear Morme's thoughts on the issue as he tested other designs and came to the initial conclusion that one similar to this did well.

Boolit Bub
    Personally, I'm in favor of leaving it the way it currently is. Certainly, we need to check the gas check I.D.

Boolit Bub
    I'm going to call Hornady as soon as they open this morning and get the .277" gas check spec's.

Boolit Bub
    Just got off the phone with Hornady. A .277" gas check has an Inside Diameter of .255"

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast